PDA

View Full Version : 'Windows Live Messenger' Drops Into the App Store

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2010, 09:28 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/21/windows-live-messenger-drops-into-the-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/21/102741-windows_live_messenger_1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/21/102741-windows_live_messenger_2.jpg

Microsoft has released Windows Live Messenger (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/windows-live-messenger) for the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing an integrated environment for accessing the company' social services. The free application also offers users integrated access to their Hotmail accounts with the ability to read, reply, and compose directly in the application.Chat:
Instant message with your Windows Live Messenger and Y! Messenger contacts on the go so you're always connected to the people that matter most. You can even receive IM notifications when your app is closed so you never miss a message.

Social:
Windows Live Messenger gives you one place to view the updates your Messenger friends are sharing from social networks like Facebook, Flickr, MySpace and more, helping you cut through the clutter on the go.

Photos:
Upload photos right from your phone to share your favorite moments with the people that matter most. Create albums, add captions, and let your friends and family comment on your photos.

Hotmail:
Access your Hotmail account without leaving the app to read, reply to, and compose emails. Get email notifications within the application so you know when you have new messages.

Article Link: 'Windows Live Messenger' Drops Into the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/21/windows-live-messenger-drops-into-the-app-store/)

stephendoc1984
Jun 21, 2010, 09:33 AM
nice!!! I thought this would be out AFTER Windows Live Wave 4 :)

JCCL
Jun 21, 2010, 09:45 AM
Cool, had to use my US Store account as this isn't out in my country yet.

Mitchelino
Jun 21, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm surprised they released this :eek: But that's good for people who want a free official client. Hopefully they will put as much work into the Mac client. Wishful thinking:p

Regardless, I'm sticking with Beejive for iPhone, as it offers more networks that I use.

Deadman64
Jun 21, 2010, 09:58 AM
Video chat? :confused::rolleyes:

scottparker999
Jun 21, 2010, 10:08 AM

that is still lacking in the osx version. would have much hope for it in ios4

randallking
Jun 21, 2010, 10:14 AM
The Hotmail access is lame. It just brings up the mobile website for Hotmail. :(

Ed91
Jun 21, 2010, 10:16 AM

That's what I was thinking. With the new front facing camera, Microsoft could have blown us all away from day one.. but on the other hand.. :rolleyes:

I guess I will get this, simply because it should be easier than logging in to hotmail via the web to check my old email account every so often. Hopefully no ads.

Edit:
The Hotmail access is lame. It just brings up the mobile website for Hotmail. :(

Maybe not, then.

Carnag3
Jun 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
That's what I was thinking. With the new front facing camera, Microsoft could have blown us all away from day one.. but on the other hand.. :rolleyes:

I guess I will get this, simply because it should be easier than logging in to hotmail via the web to check my old email account every so often. Hopefully no ads.

Edit:

Maybe not, then.

why not just use mail?

scottparker999
Jun 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
This app is really slow - even over wifi.

It states '1 Jan 2001' as the date for every event - MASSIVE BUG

The contrast is really poor, so when used outdoors you can barely see anything.

scottparker999
Jun 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
why not just use mail?

because its a pop3 mail account.

Cabbit
Jun 21, 2010, 10:53 AM
They managed to bring off line messaging to this(Mac client does not support this), so lets hope they copy and paste the code into the Mac client soon.

2 Replies
Jun 21, 2010, 11:02 AM

Considering that the text is black on white (as opposed to Apple's native SMS black on green/blue), if you can barely see anything outside it's the device or backlight at fault not that app.
So Apple would be to blame for that one, not MS. :-\

donlphi
Jun 21, 2010, 11:13 AM
I was thinking they should just release a Microsoft KIN app so they can start testing it. :D

jgbhardy
Jun 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
The fact that you can send messages to people who are offline and also send nudges to people along with the Windows Live UI makes me think well why the hell haven't you put this into the OSX version! :mad:

Still apart from the inconsistencies from Microsoft the app is very good I really like the camera feature and all the effects you can add to a picture before you send it.

LegendKillerUK
Jun 21, 2010, 11:18 AM
because its a pop3 mail account.

For now. Exchange ActiveSync is coming out before the end of the month. :D

stevken
Jun 21, 2010, 11:30 AM
It's dire. No settings to configure makes it pretty useless. Beejive is much better

job2
Jun 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Why the heck can't people living in European countries download this app?

Cabbit
Jun 21, 2010, 11:35 AM
Why the heck can't people living in European countries download this app?

I live in Scotland and i got it. Dono why you can't.

job2
Jun 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
I live in Scotland and i got it. Dono why you can't.

Besides the UK then, I guess ... I can't find the app in the Swedish App Store.

Unsafe
Jun 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
that is still lacking in the osx version. would have much hope for it in ios4

It's not anymore :) it's in the version 8 beta that you can get from here http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx?pid=Mactopia_Messenger&fid=573C3149-EF09-4729-97BA-5200DD320FFE#viewer

iHero
Jun 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
aMSN KILLS Windows Live Messenger on OSX. I am so damn disappointed with Messenger on mac, it's useless, even the new beta.

ChrisGonzales90
Jun 21, 2010, 01:11 PM

Edit:

Maybe not, then.

Only problem is Microsoft was working on this long before the iPhone 4 was even out.

iWonderwhy
Jun 21, 2010, 01:21 PM
Sad how this application is better on a phone than it is on a Mac. aMSN is garbage, buggy, sad excuse for a software. So is the newest MSN 8 beta, but at least you can video chat on it.

Ed91
Jun 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
Only problem is Microsoft was working on this long before the iPhone 4 was even out.

It's not even out yet. :p

jakeacc
Jun 21, 2010, 02:23 PM
I plan on getting the Xbox Kinect for the 360. It has a feature where you can video-chat with other Kinect users and any Windows Live user with a webcam.

I HOPE they add FaceTime feature to this Live Messenger app. Although, I don't know anyone that uses Windows Live Messenger.

Even better would be if Kinect uses the FaceTime video standard so anyone with an iPhone 4 can video-chat with any Xbox Kinect user. Otherwise, both Kinects and iPhones videochat user base is severely limited.

This would only work if Apple and Microsoft decide to place nicely with each other. Ha.

TheNewDude
Jun 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
I'm actually very surprised that it took Microsoft so long to come up with an MSN app for the iPhone and the MSN OSX version does suck. The Windows version is FAR superior!

Tex-Twil
Jun 21, 2010, 02:57 PM
Is there a way to see only online contacts ? :confused::confused:

Bernie-Macbook
Jun 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm actually very surprised that it took Microsoft so long to come up with an MSN app for the iPhone and the MSN OSX version does suck. The Windows version is FAR superior!

A Windows Live application superior on Windows OS? Weird....

Schtumple
Jun 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
Absolutely brilliant App. I'm glad Microsoft took it upon themselves to release an official app. Much like the official Twitter app it adds a lot of functionality compared to others. And to everyone bringing up every possibly reason to hate it, grow up, fanboys are currently drooling over in the OS4 threads. Go go goooo!!!

ChrisGonzales90
Jun 21, 2010, 04:58 PM
It's not even out yet. :p

You know what i ment kid.

I HOPE they add FaceTime feature to this Live Messenger app. Although, I don't know anyone that uses Windows Live Messenger.

This would only work if Apple and Microsoft decide to place nicely with each other. Ha.

Good for you.

And google is apples problem now. Not Microsoft.

Blaine
Jun 21, 2010, 07:34 PM
Is there a way to see only online contacts ? :confused::confused:

This is what I'm wanting too :mad:

JCCL
Jun 21, 2010, 09:43 PM
After using this app all day, I don't like it. Here is why:

1. Push notifications!!!! They don't seem to be working. Sending messages from 1 MSN account to the one on my iPhone and no notifications were received at all. They are all turned on on the settings options, but nothing!
2. Not able to hide offline contacts (lots have been said about this so I won't go deeper into this, just hope it is added soon).
3. Seems to disconnect very quickly. Unlike Beejive that can stay connected for days, this one seems to disconnect shortly after you exit the application. didn't find any setting to tweak this. This leads me to.
4. Lack of customization and setting. Setting options are very basic.
5. Sloooow. Takes ages to connect, ages to update social. Beejive connects to the MSN network a lot faster than the official program!

This are my main quirks about this app. It looks good, and I'd really like to use it as my main IM app in my iPhone. But for now, I'll have to stick with Beejive. Still this is only the first version, and guess it can only get better as time goes by.

Aleco
Jun 21, 2010, 11:13 PM
I think you guys are misunderstood with FaceTime, it's only iPhone-to-iPhone and I don't think the API to use on your apps is called FaceTime, you just use the front camera and send the data through "Wi-Fi" only.

Yes, the Mac OS X version for MSN lacks a lot, I use Adium. It's okay.

atticus18244fsa
Jun 22, 2010, 02:36 AM
This app is really slow - even over wifi.

It states '1 Jan 2001' as the date for every event - MASSIVE BUG

Just trying to find problems, aren't you?

Schtumple
Jun 22, 2010, 04:26 AM
Just trying to find problems, aren't you?

It's a Microsoft product (and a fairly good one at that) of course he is.

inkfid
Jun 22, 2010, 04:34 AM
downloaded this. always wanted a proper MS client.
but now all I can say is that this really is a proper MS client.

it's slow, feels clunky. no user settings. the only good things is you can nudge and it doesnt sign you off from other locations.

I dont think I'll be using this much at all. Not until i can at least choose if i'd just like to see my online contacts instead of wading through my 200 odd contacts in some groups thing I set up 10 years ago.

ValSalva
Jun 22, 2010, 04:44 AM
I'm surprised anyone running OS X uses Windows Live Messenger.

knightlie
Jun 22, 2010, 06:12 AM
Nice to see Microsoft p*ssing all over someone elses UI standards in the same way they do their own. The app looks like deodorant packaging.

It's a Microsoft product (and a fairly good one at that) of course he is.

It's not exactly trolling to point out a gaping bug like displaying the same incorrect date for all entries. :rolleyes:

nihilisticmonk
Jun 22, 2010, 06:21 AM
After using this app all day, I don't like it. Here is why:

1. Push notifications!!!! They don't seem to be working. Sending messages from 1 MSN account to the one on my iPhone and no notifications were received at all. They are all turned on on the settings options, but nothing

Yep, broken for me as well, gutted, I was really wanting to use this :(

z4n3
Jun 22, 2010, 07:33 AM

Edit:

Maybe not, then.

We have been waiting for MSN with video since the microsoft site was www.mactopia.com :eek: MSN BETA! came out how long ago? :D

Do not hold your breath with MSN and iPhone 4 :p

Schtumple
Jun 22, 2010, 07:40 AM
Nice to see Microsoft p*ssing all over someone elses UI standards in the same way they do their own. The app looks like deodorant packaging.

How exactly have they p*ssed all over the UI standards...? It looks just like the WLM client, but scaled perfectly for the iPhones smaller screen, how is there anything wrong with that?. Just because it's not a grey blob of Apple UI doesn't mean it's bad...

If every dev completely stuck to Apples UI templates the App store would be a sea of bland apps with virtually no visual distinctions.

It's not exactly trolling to point out a gaping bug like displaying the same incorrect date for all entries. :rolleyes:

Whilst that's true, bashing it purely because it's a MS app is pretty sad.

Years and years ago Jobs said "For us to win, Microsoft doesn't have to lose" And I really wish people would take that on board and drop the notion that they have to hate MS because they like Apple.

akm3
Jun 22, 2010, 07:59 AM
Can this connect to an office communications server to do (push based persistant) office presence?

knightlie
Jun 22, 2010, 08:50 AM
How exactly have they p*ssed all over the UI standards...? It looks just like the WLM client, but scaled perfectly for the iPhones smaller screen, how is there anything wrong with that?.

UI standards are designed to give a consistent look and fell, which is even more important when using a device like this. This UI has a passing resemblance to Apples interface (the one you call a grey blob), whereas it should look like a real iPhone app. It looks ugly in the same way that the thousands of Windows apps that ignore the standard UI look ugly.

Just because it's not a grey blob of Apple UI doesn't mean it's bad...

While that's true, bashing it purely because it's Apples UI is pretty sad. ;)

If every dev completely stuck to Apples UI templates the App store would be a sea of bland apps with virtually no visual distinctions.

You don't understand the purpose of a consistent user interface. Apps don't need visual distinctions, they need functional distinctions.

Whilst that's true, bashing it purely because it's a MS app is pretty sad.

I didn't notice anyone doing that. scottparker999 downloaded the app, tried it and listed the flaws he found, including a major bug.

batchtaster
Jun 22, 2010, 11:49 AM
Not available in my store. Grr...

superslashers
Jun 22, 2010, 12:00 PM
This app is cool! its the only iPhone/ iPod touch app that has the new stuff, or recent posts kind of thing! thats what I call so cool! Also Microsoft added the MSN app! Now i havent checked it out but I think it will probably be a search engine, and a news feed like the newsrack app AKA its free and newsrack is $4.99 thats what I call awesome! (I bought Newsrack :P that stinks!

SeaFox
Jun 24, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hotmail:
Access your Hotmail account without leaving the app to read, reply to, and compose emails. Get email notifications within the application so you know when you have new messages.
I guess they mean instant (push) notifications, right? Getting an email to tell you there are new emails? Sounds like Microsoft has a Dept of Redundantcy Dept. :p

adztaylor
Jun 26, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hmmm I'll give it a try for my iPod Touch, but won't hold my breath too much. Messenger for Mac is pretty damn awful.

cleanup
Jun 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
I'm surprised anyone running OS X uses Windows Live Messenger.

Well, you know, we have friends.

I'm just sayin'.

wolfie37
Jun 28, 2010, 03:38 AM
Mercury on Mac is the way to go, esp if you want to use video chat....though we need something that will start using the front facing camera on iPhone 4.

www.mercury.im

Blaine
Jun 28, 2010, 11:08 PM
..though we need something that will start using the front facing camera on iPhone 4.
www.mercury.im

Give Microsoft 2-3 years of development time and maybe they'll have a version that utilizes the front facing camera. :D

Edit: and I'm being optimistic about the 2-3 years