PDA

View Full Version : Cry, Beloved Apple Stock

MacBytes
Oct 22, 2004, 10:33 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Cry, Beloved Apple Stock (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041022113342)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Ambrose Chapel
Oct 22, 2004, 04:01 PM
i <3 morford's columns

polyesterlester
Oct 22, 2004, 05:03 PM
i <3 morford's columns

Me too. His writing's so rich and saturated with humorous metaphors and ridiculous adjectivery.

BruinJohn
Oct 22, 2004, 05:17 PM
I am in the same shoes as Mark Morford. I don't have many shares, but if I sold them today, I would have made a 300% profit. But I want to know if there is a possibility of the stock spliting. I saw that there were all of these Apple execs selling their stocks. Maybe they know something we don't. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what a stock split is and if Apple is primed to do so? Thanks.

rikers_mailbox
Oct 22, 2004, 06:05 PM
Is there anyone out there who can tell me what a stock split is and if Apple is primed to do so?

I second that question. . the stock market scene is new to me.

With regards to whether to sell or not, well, no one can predict that. That's the fun of owning stocks. :) Although all signs are pointing towards a pretty good holiday season for Apple. Maybe wait until after this coming Tuesday's music event and drawn your own conclusions??

Hoef
Oct 22, 2004, 06:15 PM
Is there anyone out there who can tell me what a stock split is and if Apple is primed to do so? Thanks.

Basically the value of the company is the amount of shares x share value. So if there are 10 shares worth $100, the company is worth $1000. With a stock split the stock value is cut in half by offering twice as much shares: now having 20 shares worth $50 each (company value still $1000).

However with $50/share you made the company look more attractive for potential investors. This is however pure psychology as the value remains the same, people just rather buy shares priced $50 than priced $100

Flying Llama
Oct 22, 2004, 07:06 PM
this guy should become a poet...
:rolleyes: :D

billyboy
Oct 23, 2004, 06:22 AM
this guy should become a poet...
:rolleyes: :D and he definitely should not be a stock analyst!

Im no analyst, but what I have learnt is that you have to be happy with your investment. If 300% profit doesnt do it for you, then you better be sure you have checked out the figures to see what AAPL is worth versus what it is trading at. If it isnt worth $47, and in addition to that, Apples plans for growth dont add up ever to justifying $47 to the hard noses who dont love Apple unswervingly, then enough people will eventually twig, and for you, holding on staunchly to your shares could see your 300% become 200% or just breakeven in a day or a month of sell offs for profit taking.

And as for splits, it is a wierd pschology. Ever seen the price of Berkshire Hathaway shares? $80,000 per share. No need to have any psycho babble to convince long term investors to stick with Warren Buffet.

Hoef
Oct 23, 2004, 11:17 AM
. No need to have any psycho babble to convince long term investors to stick with Warren Buffet.

It is difficult to buy those share ... and ask/bid spread is large too!