PDA

View Full Version : PC Not Detecting Airport Network

diz
Oct 22, 2004, 12:21 PM
Hello All,
There must be tons of posts covering this, but not sure how to narrow down the search...

I run a mac-based airport network at home. Unfortunately, my new job has given me a IBM PC laptop with a Netgear wireless card.

I tried to use the Netgear card at home, but the it wasn't detecting my airport network.

Any ideas?

varmit
Oct 22, 2004, 01:17 PM
Hello All,
There must be tons of posts covering this, but not sure how to narrow down the search...

I run a mac-based airport network at home. Unfortunately, my new job has given me a IBM PC laptop with a Netgear wireless card.

I tried to use the Netgear card at home, but the it wasn't detecting my airport network.

Any ideas?

Did you maybe hide the SSID when you setup the Airport base station? Have you tried to use the wireless wizard that comes in Windows XP, I'm guess the OS, to see if it sees the network. Did your work maybe lock you out of using your wireless card with any other networks, or have it setup specially for their network thus making it not work with others? This last question is very important to answer.

Last time my boss came back from a business trip, the company he was visiting setup his laptop to use their wireless internet connection. So when he came back and plugged into the wired network he got pissed off and started ranting that IT wasn't do its job and he couldn't get an internet connection. Of course he didn't tell us that the other company did something to his computer, such as setting his browser to use their proxy server, for about another 5 minutes. We then had to explain to him that we needed to know that info next time, otherwise we are just shooting in the dark for what happened since he left.

diz
Oct 22, 2004, 04:58 PM
Hey Varmit,
My laptop is configured for traveling so that I can connect to hotel wireless networks. This I know works seamlessly.

The PC is running Windows 2000. I loaded the Netgear drivers. The setting is such that it should detect any network. Does this include closed networks. I entered the Hex key manually, but still no luck.

I'm not sure if I'm giving you any helpful info here...

Not sure what a SSID is...

diz
Oct 23, 2004, 01:33 AM
Never mind...problem resolved.

1) Made network visible
2) Downgraded PC encryption to 64-bit...

srchurch
Oct 25, 2004, 12:34 PM
diz,
How did you set up the encription?
I have an airport express and a Dell PC running Win2000 and a Netgear card (WG511). I have been able to get it all to work together, although it took some time as this is my first wireless experience... But, I can not get the WEP security working. The Airport Express has only 40-bit and 128 bit WEP and you set a password (with the option of making it "PC friendly" whatever that means..). But the Netgear card asks for a passphrase or manual key entry. These seem different and although I used a 13 charactor Airport password and used the same for the Netgear passphrase, I have not had success making the two see each other using WEP for either the 40/64 bit encription option or the 104/128 bit encription.
I do have MAC address filtering turned on and was able to create a closed network (added it after I got success with MAC filtering and save a profile with my Netgear card), so I am not completely unsecure, but would like to get this last security piece in place.
Many thanks!
S.

srchurch
Oct 25, 2004, 03:15 PM
Got smart and started Googleing...
Found this article:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041017233832771

It is for connecting an Airport card to a Netgear router, but the method is the same for the other way around.
So, now I have hidden network, MAC filtering, 128bit WEP....
All between two products that don't support each other, whew! :p
( see this one: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101173.asp )
Ok, I am happy now. Hope this helps someone in the future!