Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shebasher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
I am interested in buying a new multifunction printer/scanner. I've seen a couple of posts talking about printers alone, but not together. The salesman at Best Buy was trying to get me to buy a EPSON Stylus Photo RX600. Has anyone bought and/or used this before?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Can't comment on the RX 600, but I bought a 785EPX about 18 months ago. I've found that unless you use it pretty regularly (i.e. every few days) then you have to go through a cleaning cycle to unclog the jets. This coupled with the expensive nature of the (5 color) cartridges makes for expensive running costs. If I were to buy again I would go for a printer with seperate ink cartridges, and probably a Canon.

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
I love my do-it-all, Epson CX5400 with individual ink tanks and an amazing price ($60 after rebates recently at Fry's Electronics in Phoenix).

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Epson CX5400

I'd second the recommendation for the 5400. I have found that the scan quality is quite good (text or photos), printing low quality B/W pages is cheap and fast, and I've been pretty happy with the occasional high quality photo print. I think the provided software is a little clunky, but it seems to get the job done (completed about 500 scans) with lots of "save as" options. I paid $125 about 1 year ago ... $60 is a great deal!

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Don't do it.

Shebasher said:
I am interested in buying a new multifunction printer/scanner. I've seen a couple of posts talking about printers alone, but not together. The salesman at Best Buy was trying to get me to buy a EPSON Stylus Photo RX600. Has anyone bought and/or used this before?

They just got all spanking brand new computer equipment at the school where my wife works, and the various departments were supplied with multifunction units.

Guess, what? It sure didn't take too long for them to break down and/or malfunction. They never bothered repairing them, they just exchanged them for separates.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
absolut_mac said:
They just got all spanking brand new computer equipment at the school where my wife works, and the various departments were supplied with multifunction units.

Guess, what? It sure didn't take too long for them to break down and/or malfunction. They never bothered repairing them, they just exchanged them for separates.

As incredibly vague as that is, it doesn't help anyone. I'm guessing that those were probably Lexmark (or Dell, which are the same thing) units as my parents' Lexmark all-in-one broke after about a year while my Epson CX5200 is still going strong for them and my CX6400 is not quite a year old but working well.

However, had Canon had all-in-ones available at the time I got the CX6400, as they do now, I would have gone for a Canon model instead.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Actually....

bousozoku said:
However, had Canon had all-in-ones available at the time I got the CX6400, as they do now, I would have gone for a Canon model instead.

Actually, they were all Canon units. Looked great and worked very well in the beginning.

That was my reason for being vague about any specific brand, all multifuntion units leave a lot to be desired in the quality department.

There ain't no free lunch. The only reason that all the manufacturers can offer such seemingly good value for money, is because they cut corners where you can't see - at least not at first anyhow.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
absolut_mac said:
Actually, they were all Canon units. Looked great and worked very well in the beginning.

That was my reason for being vague about any specific brand, all multifuntion units leave a lot to be desired in the quality department.

There ain't no free lunch. The only reason that all the manufacturers can offer such seemingly good value for money, is because they cut corners where you can't see - at least not at first anyhow.

That's sad. Canon had a bad reputation for consumer printers when the Bubble Jet line arrived but I thought that they were doing anything to stay away from that.

Well, there is one place where Epson cut corners on the CX6400--the USB 2.0 cable. It's extremely short but better to have the requisite, speedy cable included. Compared to the C84, the CX6400 was expensive--the C86/CX6600 shows a similar price differential. I'm completely surprised that I haven't had troubles as I've read plenty about people with C84s having problems.

I would suggest that paying around $100 for an all-in-one is inviting trouble, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.