Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Hey,
I have some mp3s that I need to upload to the internet and have anyone be able to access... is there a free place I can do this... something like yahoo photos but for music. Or a place where I can start a web page for free to put these on?
Thanks a lot!

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
crazzyeddie said:
Since its illegal, I highly doubt it.
Not necessarily, just because it's music, and it's on the internet doesn't mean it's illegal. I could be his own music that he wrote/made.

You could see if you isp will give you personal web space to put your mp3s on. Adelphia is my isp, and they give me 10 MB of ftp/http space, not nearly enough, but you can buy more space. I think Verison gives you 25 MB, but I'm not totally sure.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Its not illegal at all actually... these recordings are of my Senior trumpet recital... Im on them, and will not be selling them to anyone. Im going to burn CDs for people, but for people I know that live far away from Indiana and can not make it to my recital I want them to be able to listen to them online. So its perfectly legal. Any ideas?

Edit: Would it be possible to make my computer the server, or would I have to have a copy of OS X Server for that?

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
You could set up you computer as an FTP or SSH server in System Prefrences>Sharing. You have to do some tweaking to your router, or anything that has a firewall.

Search the forums, there are plenty of examples on how to set up a FTP and SSH server from your machine.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Or you could get a yahoo or gmail account, and email the mp3s to that account, and have your friends/relatives log on to it and download them that way.

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
a good free webhost is 000k.com. you get 125mb of space and 500mb of transfer. your address will be name.000k.com and you can cpanel to control settings. it's a little tricky to set up-took me about 10 times to get my confirmation email but works real well and there are no ads.
spymac also has a free web hosting thing but i would not recamend it.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
12ibookg4 said:
a good free webhost is 000k.com. you get 125mb of space and 500mb of transfer. your address will be name.000k.com and you can cpanel to control settings. it's a little tricky to set up-took me about 10 times to get my confirmation email but works real well and there are no ads.
spymac also has a free web hosting thing but i would not recamend it.

I second the recommendation of 000k. I use them for forum hosting, and they're awesome. Rarely have downtime and are very nice people to work with. Check the link in my sig.
-Chase

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
okay, I tried 000k but I cant find on the site where I actually sign up for the free service. it talks about it, but where do I acutally do it? maybe Im really dumb....

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
A skin colored button below "Web Hosting" that says "ORDER SERVICE".

Lee Tom

Attachments

• order.jpg
    order.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 166
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.