Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I have a 2006 Macbook. My AirPort signal gives out after five minutes of internet service. I don't live anywhere near an Apple store, and no, it's not the wireless stations, it's the computer itself. What do I do? Anyone else have this sort of problem? Why is the AirPort so touchy? The signal is super strong one minute, then two minutes later, it's dead, as though there's no signal at all, even though I know the signal is strong.

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
It could, in fact, be your router. I've had this happen to me a few times where my Airport indicator jumps up to 5 bars, then suddenly disconnects. Resetting the router or moving around fixes it for me.

You could also have something blocking your WiFi signal. The WiFi antennae are located along the outer borders of your screen, so make sure they're clear.

Finally, it could be a hardware issue. If you have the means, you could try switching out the Airport cards with a friend's and seeing if you have any better luck. Or, the antennae connections may have gotten loose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.