Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hi all,

I updated my 3GS to iOS4 earlier today and I just noticed I don't have the little camera icon beside the text input bar while sending text messages. I go to Photos and tap the bottom-left corner icon and the option to "Send as MMS" simply isn't there. Has anybody had this problem?

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Try backing it up and doing a restore.

On the Rogers Redboard site that is what one of their people suggested doing. And also what many others have found to be the solution.

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Would that mean all my games, music, etc will be erased? There are a lot of things I have on my phone that I don't on my PC ):

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Sadly no music (along with videos and photos) are copied during the backup... But your apps, settings, text msgs and most other things are all copied.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I am having the same issue, no option to sent pictures as mms. did the restore work?

***I backed up my phone, then did a resore, and STILL do not have picture mms!!! ***

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I restored it. The first time didn't work because I set up from backup, but then I tried it again and set it up as a new iPhone, MMS became functioning... wasted an hour of my time, not to mention how long it'll take to re-download all my apps and re-syncing my music and videos. Apple really failed this time with the bugs, I should have waited for a more stable release.

dankirsh

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
See my other post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10248642/

While Apple maybe could have prevented this, it really isn't their fault. All the jailbroken phones I updated broke, and all the stock phones worked fine. We have to understand we are taking some risk when we jailbreak. We can't expect Apple to support something that they explicitly state they won't support.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Ok well I guess since I was jailbroke this is the reason I am having these problems, damn. I will have to restore as a new phone.

The above post about how to get your contacts, texts and such is too much for me I got lost just reading it.

Is there any way to back up my contacts any other way? So that when I set up as new I can at least back those up?

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
You can't do partial backups or restores. It is all or nothing (well minus the music and photos if those arent being sync'd on the computer)

If you need a guide to walk you through the process then Apple has a nice one here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

dankirsh

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
You can't officially do "partial" backups, but you can backup contacts separately to your address book, and you can use my other post to save your text messages. I know my post was long and confusing, but if you follow it carefully it should work well.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Please help!!!

Ok well for me the only way I could get my 3G data to work as well as my mms I had to do a full restore as a new phone. I'm back up and running again. I backed up all I could on MobileMe first.

MobileMe did not back up my notes for some reason and there was that option. The reason I needed my notes is because it had my wifi password on it.

Now I cannot access my home wifi, because like an idiot I didn't have that password written down anywhere. (long story short I can't access it from the computer anymore, long story I just can't) I have to manually enter a password on anything that I want on my home wifi.

Does anyone know how I can find that password on any other device???
It's on my other iPhone, iPod and many other devices but it all *****'s or not shown at all. Someone please help me here.

**##** UPDATE i was able to reset my router, so i guess no need for the above post. i guess i will just have an unsecured network for now.

scalest

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
Does anyone know how I can find that password on any other device???
It's on my other iPhone, iPod and many other devices but it all *****'s or not shown at all. Someone please help me here.

If can access any macs that have the password saved for accessing your network then you can get the password by using the "Keychain Access" application which should be in /Applications/Utilities. Open the app, search using the name of your network, when it finds it then using the admin password for the mac will reveal the network password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.