PDA

View Full Version : 8X Superdrive

senseibiz
Oct 23, 2004, 12:51 AM
Hello Everyone,

I searched for a thread relating to my question, but I could not find it.
Here's my question. I have a dual 2 G5, It came with a 4X superdrive.
1. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 8X Superdrive ?
2. How much is the Difference between both drives ? ( burning )
3. price ?

Thanks You.
Sensei

yellow
Oct 23, 2004, 06:52 AM
Ask yourself:

How often do I burn DVDs?

How often do I burn CDs?

Is it worth it to me that they burn faster?

Or am I happy with what it's doing now?

crazzyeddie
Oct 23, 2004, 09:07 AM
An 8x burns 2 times faster than a 4x (seems too simple, doesnt it?). So a 4x takes a theoretical 15 minutes to burn a disc, an 8x will take 7.5 minutes, assuming that you have quality media. 16x will burn in about 4 minutes with quality media.

You can get a good deal on internal DVD-RW and even Dual Layer DVD-RWs from OWC. You can get the DVR-108 (Dual layer with 16x DVD-R) for $97 (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=7051&Item=PIODVR108) , with very inexpensive shipping. I recommend that burner because of its high DVD-R speed and dual layer capabilities. Although DVD+DL isnt popular yet, its slower and media is expensive, its one of those things that you should buy now, since its basically included for free. Oh, and by slower, I mean 4x DVD+DL, which is what you're using for DVD-R anyway ;)

Edit: Forgot to mention the compatibility issue. OS X does not natively support this drive. You can use Toast 6 with it, as well as PatchBurn III. Patchburn III allows you to use all the Apple apps, including iDVD, without a hitch. Also, its is very very likely that support for this drive will be built into 10.4, maybe even 10.3.6, because Apple uses Pioneer drives in their machines.