PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks Expanding Custom CD Service

MacBytes
Oct 23, 2004, 11:58 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Starbucks Expanding Custom CD Service (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041023125803)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

AoWolf
Oct 23, 2004, 12:11 PM
So who's providing the music? And do you see this hurting iTunes?

2GMario
Oct 23, 2004, 12:49 PM
what would be cool is to generate a playlist and only sync that playlist to the ipod.

our local starbucks here is pretty busy on any given night, especially when the weather is nice.

its also a tmobile hotspot, which really hasent cought on to much. i've used my ibook there with it, but at $20 a month, i dont go there often enough to justify the cost

for some reason internet cafe's havent cought on here, let alone a place to burn a custom cd. who knows thow. starbucks generates the 40 and over crowd as well as the still in high school crowd.

itll be interesting.

-Mario

Mudbug
Oct 23, 2004, 05:39 PM
I just don't see Starbucks as the place that people will think about to get their music. I see it as a place to get coffee [read overpriced, mediocre mass-produced dark colored flavored water]. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

solvs
Oct 24, 2004, 01:43 AM
I'm in WA State, so StarBucks is everywhere here. I used to work at a place where you could go in any direction and there'd be one. The coffee sucks, but the Frappacinos (sp?) are pretty good. Expensive, but I like them. All that sugar and caffeine makes you jittery though if you drink them too much (like that Futurama episode).

I try not to stay in there too long though. Overpriced, crappy music or not. It's to go all the way for me.

Earendil
Oct 24, 2004, 02:22 AM
I also live in the Northwest (Portland/Vancouver were the cities of choice, now I'm @ school in Spokane). I never found Starbucks was the place to go. For starters they actually *charged* for wireless access...I mean come on, get real, welcome to the 21st century ;)
There were plenty of great smaller Coffee shops that hosted free wireless that were much better.
And while you saw the older business crowd in Starbucks, the lesser known free wireless spots were thick with the younger crowd, the ones that on average knew how to find a free hotspot.

Tyler - Who doesn't get his coffee to go, but still enjoys walking in, and drinking his coffee slowly with his glowing white on silver apple shining bright.

AoWolf
Oct 24, 2004, 10:28 AM
I happen to be a bellvueite so I know what you mean by a star-bucks in any direction. The thing that interests me is that fact the technology is provided by HP. The same HP that ships iTunes with its computes...

Sharewaredemon
Oct 24, 2004, 01:08 PM
Tyler - Who doesn't get his coffee to go, but still enjoys walking in, and drinking his coffee slowly with his glowing white on silver apple shining bright.

hehe, that was rather poetic. I liked it.