PDA

View Full Version : Is my HD going to die?

DakotaGuy
Oct 23, 2004, 12:42 PM
Over the past few weeks the HD has gotten a lot louder on my Powerbook. It just seemed to grind more then it did before, but I did not notice any performance problems. Well today I got a spinning beach ball and I could hear it going "click, click, click" so I shut down and rebooted. It took like 10 mins to get it rebooted and I ran permissions, reset the PRAM, etc, and still did not help, I mean the boot is SLOW. Once it finally gets running, it runs ok, but nothing like it used to. In fact updating my iPod tonight was very slow for Firewire. It works, but is noisy. I am coming back to the states on leave from Iraq here in a couple of days so I am going to bring it with me and take it to the authorized apple reseller. I suppose using the Apple warranty they will only replace the HD with the one it came with. I am not sure someone might know more, but am pretty sure my 60GB was the stock on the 1Ghz 15" Al Powerbook and I think it is a 4200 RPM drive. I mean if they have to put a new drive in it would be nice to get an 80GB 5400 RPM, but if that means I have to pay for it, I will just let the work be done under warranty.

Well maybe there is something else wrong with it, but I have my iTunes and iPhoto backed up, so if it dies it dies, but hopefully it will hold on long enough so they can do a direct transfer to a new HD if that is what the problem is. Anyone had the same problem with a newer Powerbook?

Blue Velvet
Oct 23, 2004, 12:49 PM
If it was me, I would back-up/clone the entire drive right away onto an external drive, if possible. Or your home folder to DVDs...

Then, I would leave the machine alone till you can get it to a shop.

I've had my fingers burnt to a crisp in this situation twice before... it can be heartbreaking.

It never hurts to be careful: it may be something minor but why take the risk?

Apple Hobo
Oct 23, 2004, 01:33 PM
Hmmm....sounds bad. Definitely back your crap up ASAP before it dies.

zyuzin4
Oct 24, 2004, 04:18 PM
clicking drives are never a good thing and I have had my share of them. get your data off of it before the computer can't boot from it at all...It will save you a ton of time by not having to use Disk Warrior...

Macmaniac
Oct 24, 2004, 04:24 PM
Clicking Drive=Death back up your home folder, and get a new drive, that is the best you can do.