PDA

View Full Version : Truth about iBook External Display

JarinS1
Oct 23, 2004, 04:20 PM
I have seen many different opinions about the iBook display hack. Could someone who has had experience with the hack (on a brand NEW October 2004 release) please comment on the following:

-clamshell mode?
-screen spanning?
-heat issues?
-other problems?
-voided warranty?

I am going to buy either a 12" iBook or 12" PowerBook in the next few days and external displays are going to be a huge factor in my decision. I really appreciate all of your help.

JS

musicpyrite
Oct 23, 2004, 04:37 PM
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html

It looks like your machine is supported.

I installed the hack on my iMac and it worked flawlessly, and I am now using 2 displays.

I can't really comment about clamshell mode, or heat troubles, but screen spanning will work.

And this is all software, so there is no reason to worry about warrantee.

brap
Oct 23, 2004, 04:52 PM
... hack (on a brand NEW October 2004 release) please comment on the following...
I used it perfectly on an 800 G4. Same video card, probably the same damn logic board.

The clamshell mode, though, probably isn't something you want to try uness you play russian roulette regularly. The iBooks have a venting mechanism which pushes air through the gap at the bottom of the screen; leaving the lid closed whilst running will obstruct this. Applecare will say 'We told you so'.

It's all about product differentiation, search the forums a little for consensus.

risc
Oct 23, 2004, 05:09 PM
It works perfectly on my iBook G4 1 GHz, and I agree with the comment above about them basically being the same system. The only thing I found was a lot of games I could play on a single screen would be a lot slower because I only had 16 MB of video RAM per screen. Other than that it's a great hack.

Never tried clamshell mode because at the time I was using it the hacks websites forum was saying it didn't work properly, and would only allow 800x600 on the external display when used.

michaelrjohnson
Oct 23, 2004, 05:12 PM
Void warranty? NO! you can uninstall the "hack"

As for the rest of them, I only used it with the last revision of iBook. I currently own the current (Rev. C) 12" PowerBook, and I wouldnt' trade it for anything. I'd go with the PB. But i'm biased. :)