PDA

View Full Version : Another iMac G5 problem

edesignuk
Oct 23, 2004, 05:03 PM
So it's not enough I had to replace the midplane, now the screen keeps dimming after a bit, as though it's saving power (which it isn't set to do anywhere that I can find?), if I move the mouse the brightness comes back up and all is normal...for a few seconds, then it goes back down in brightness again (actually it's darker at the top than at the bottom at this point, like a gradient). Now it just stays like it and other than rebooting there is nothing I can do to get it back to normal. What gives?

It wasn't doing this before the midplane was replaced, but by the same token since the midplane was replaced it has been fine too (replaced it a few days back), it is only today it has started doing this.

Yup, I've zapped the PRAM :rolleyes:

I will call Apple about it on Monday, but I thought I'd ask just incase anyone had any ideas :)

Thanks.

MacinDoc
Oct 23, 2004, 05:19 PM
So it's not enough I had to replace the midplane, now the screen keeps dimming after a bit, as though it's saving power (which it isn't set to do anywhere that I can find?), if I move the mouse the brightness comes back up and all is normal...for a few seconds, then it goes back down in brightness again (actually it's darker at the top than at the bottom at this point, like a gradient). Now it just stays like it and other than rebooting there is nothing I can do to get it back to normal. What gives?

It wasn't doing this before the midplane was replaced, but by the same token since the midplane was replaced it has been fine too (replaced it a few days back), it is only today it has started doing this.

Yup, I've zapped the PRAM :rolleyes:

I will call Apple about it on Monday, but I thought I'd ask just incase anyone had any ideas :)

Thanks.
When my iMac's display is turned up to the maximum brightness, it will dim after not being used for several minutes, but it returns to the normal brightness as soon as I use the keyboard or mouse. It may be a feature designed to save energy or prolong screen life. I don't know why yours would stay dimmed, though...

Alex Duggan
Oct 23, 2004, 05:21 PM
Mine has suddenly started doing that in the last couple of days too - but is usually right after the machine starts up. :confused: :confused:

Also, fans seem to have got really bad on mine - and having trouble even starting it up now , everything freezes when it finally gets into OS X *ater waiting on the local disks laoding bit of startup for ages)

Uusally fixes itself if I put it into sleep mode and awaken it (but sometimes crashes when trying to put it into sleep mode) and is eaxactly the same as with yours, darker at the top than at the bottom.

Will probably be calling apple next week too!

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 05:26 AM
Uusally fixes itself if I put it into sleep mode and awaken it (but sometimes crashes when trying to put it into sleep mode) and is eaxactly the same as with yours, darker at the top than at the bottom.

Will probably be calling apple next week too!Exactly the same here, this isn't good. But at the same time at least it's not just me! :) But this is reeeeealy ticking me off, if I don't use it for a few minutes, I have to then sleep it and wake it again just to get the screen back to normal, what a joke! This is the 2nd major problem within 10 days of taking delivery :mad:

WinterMute
Oct 24, 2004, 06:26 AM
Exactly the same here, this isn't good. But at the same time at least it's not just me! :) But this is reeeeealy ticking me off, if I don't use it for a few minutes, I have to then sleep it and wake it again just to get the screen back to normal, what a joke! This is the 2nd major problem within 10 days of taking delivery :mad:

I know you know this, but 1st gen hardware is not always a good investment from Apple, my 17" powerbook needed a new logic board, new screen and video card, new power management... essentially they gave me a new machine in the same case!!

Does the G5 iMac have dynamic screen dimming like the PowerBook? i.e. does the screen get dimmer as the light goes? Also does the keyboard have a backlight? The PowerBook screen fluctuates sometimes, especially in sunshine, this is controlled by the light sensor for the backlit keys, I wonder if the iMac has a similar system, the controls are on the mouse and Keyboard control section.

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 06:46 AM
I know you know this, but 1st gen hardware is not always a good investment from Apple, my 17" powerbook needed a new logic board, new screen and video card, new power management... essentially they gave me a new machine in the same case!!I know, it serves me right for being seduced by it doesn't it :(
Does the G5 iMac have dynamic screen dimming like the PowerBook?As far as I know, no, it doesn't.

I just got a helpful PM from a member called daggle (thanks again!) who pointed me to this (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=2272) thread over at another forum. I'll give the suggestions there a go and report back.

aptmunich
Oct 24, 2004, 06:57 AM
Well the screen dimming thing seems to be normal (all macs I've used do it)..

But the non-undimming thing is a bit odd.

My iBook has occasionally done that when I've let the screen saver activate (folding@home) and then the display has gone to sleep.

After 'waking' the display up and deactivating the screensaver, sometimes the screen remains dark and won't reactivate despite moving the mouse.

I can sometimes solve the problem by pressing F11 (exposé) or by hitting my hot corner to activate the screen saver again, and then moving the mouse to immediatly deactivate it.

But as I said, I've only has this happen a few times...

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 07:10 AM
Well, everything seems OK now after doing the following:

Zap PRAM
Repair Permissions
Repair Disk

Very weird indeed, I thought the PRAM would have been the most likely thing (that's what I tried in the first place), but it looks like the good old repair permissions & disk repair fixed this one, freaky :confused:

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 07:34 AM
I spoke too soon, it's doing it again :rolleyes: :mad:

Blue Velvet
Oct 24, 2004, 07:39 AM

You're not having the best of luck with this machine, are you? (she says, stating the bleeding obvious...)

Is this a dreaded Rev A issue, do you think? Or just a one-off? Do you think they might replace the whole machine if you press them hard enough?

There seem to be a few people around having probs with their new iMacs and I was about to strongly recommend a friend of mine purchase one with part of her student loan (graphics student)...

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 08:01 AM
oh great, this is just ********** perfect! Now it's got the gradient fade from darker to not quite so dark (but still darker than it bloody well should be!) all the time. For **** sake! ARGH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

rdowns
Oct 24, 2004, 08:03 AM

Given your original problem and others who solved it with a new power supply, my guess would be that.

I'm feeling real lucky that I've had no problems with mine to date.

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 08:04 AM
This thing is b0rked, I made my last comment after rebooting and it was like the problem I had described in the first place immediately, but now sleeping it an waking it up again has brought it back to normal, WTF!? :confused: :mad:

Miner Willy
Oct 24, 2004, 08:05 AM
If I were the both of you and you had tried all the usual repairs to the OS etc, then would be calling apple and very politely demanding a new machine. That especially goes for you edesign as you have already had a major problem with it, I have heard on several occasions if you are firm but fair with them and tell the how dissapointed with the product and that you would be reluctant to buy apple again they will swap out your machine without too many moans.

A student of mine has just had their 2.0Gig dual processor G5 swapped out for a 2.5 gig machine because or recurring problems with it (the 2gig one he bought original was the highest spec machine available at the time)

It's a right royal pain in the arse but I would do it if I were you both. Good luck with the calls.

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 08:07 AM
- Miner Willy

I would love to, but I know they haven't got any to replace it with (unless they have a secret stash for just such an occasion?).

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 11:44 AM
OK, gets weirder...it only seems to happen when I have the screen set to sleep (go blank) after a specified amount of time. But, instead of going to sleep (blank), it just fades a bit, its after this that it then goes to a gradient fade :confused:

AmigoMac
Oct 24, 2004, 12:01 PM
my iMac G5 order was on the way but got cancelled, after a family meeting (Wife) ;) , the iMac will come home with next rev.

Mechcozmo
Oct 24, 2004, 12:56 PM
OK, gets weirder...it only seems to happen when I have the screen set to sleep (go blank) after a specified amount of time. But, instead of going to sleep (blank), it just fades a bit, its after this that it then goes to a gradient fade :confused:

At this point, chuck it at a white van man. Film it and post it. ;)

Your iMac is b0rked. But I have an idea...what is the other display connected to it looking like? Does that have the problem or is it only the internal one? When you get rid of the screen-span hack?

And if all else fails, an iMac that weighs ~25 lbs traveling at ~14 mph would do quite a bit of damage to a white van... :)

Sharewaredemon
Oct 24, 2004, 01:15 PM
hey edesign, maybe if you put that 400 gb harddrive in the iMac that will fix it.

Also, did you try archive installing?
Again after you did that do fix the last problem?

Alex Duggan
Oct 24, 2004, 04:02 PM
Tried the steps mentioned above now and still no joy - still doing it.

Guess it will be a call to apple tomorrow! :(

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 04:04 PM
Tried the steps mentioned above now and still no joy - still doing it.

Guess it will be a call to apple tomorrow! :(Yeah, I'll be calling 'em too, be sure to come back and tell us what they said, I will do :)

ravenvii
Oct 24, 2004, 04:27 PM
You got it stock, right? So why not return it, and call it a lesson learned?

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2004, 04:35 PM
You got it stock, right? So why not return it, and call it a lesson learned?Because I want an iMac, and I know I'll have to wait for weeks for a replacement. I'll see how things go when I speak to them. Also I did not order from Apple direct.

Phat_Pat
Oct 24, 2004, 05:11 PM
Because I want an iMac, and I know I'll have to wait for weeks for a replacement. I'll see how things go when I speak to them. Also I did not order from Apple direct.

if its something they can repair it won't take to long...

i had to send my Gateway Profile 4 back because the screen keep turning off for no reason or wouldn't turn on on a start up and it only took them like 3 or 4 days to fix it and send it back. i would call them what do you have to lose? i mean they arn't going to steal your iMac and never give it back..... :rolleyes:

yoda13
Oct 24, 2004, 05:29 PM
if its something they can repair it won't take to long...

i had to send my Gateway Profile 4 back because the screen keep turning off for no reason or wouldn't turn on on a start up and it only took them like 3 or 4 days to fix it and send it back. i would call them what do you have to lose? i mean they arn't going to steal your iMac and never give it back..... :rolleyes:

We hope not anyway ;) There is another thread on here about a guy who has lost his computer when he shipped to AppleCare. No one can find it.

solvs
Oct 24, 2004, 06:28 PM
I could guess video card problem, either hardware or software. I hear there is a new nVidia driver coming in 10.3.6, but that might not be it. I doubt it's the screen, but it seems weird that you mentioned it has a gradient. It's not flickering, or degaussing? Because that could be a logic board issue. Maybe something got loose in there, wire or something. I'm probably not helping much. Well, talk to Apple. Let us know what happens.

I was going to buy an iMac, now that I'm back to work. Kinda glad I had to wait now. Thinking of maybe just buying a single 1.8. Perhaps waiting a bit. Sorry about the issues, but look on the bright side... you're beta testing for the rest of us. :p ;) Good luck, maybe they'll throw in some extras for free.

Phat_Pat
Oct 24, 2004, 06:47 PM
We hope not anyway ;) There is another thread on here about a guy who has lost his computer when he shipped to AppleCare. No one can find it.

ohh if that happened to me.... ohhh man

that sucks but what are the chances of that really happening i still say just talk to them and send it in. :o

floatingspirit
Oct 24, 2004, 08:04 PM
Well, everything seems OK now after doing the following:

Zap PRAM
Repair Permissions
Repair Disk

Very weird indeed, I thought the PRAM would have been the most likely thing (that's what I tried in the first place), but it looks like the good old repair permissions & disk repair fixed this one, freaky :confused:

What the heck is PRAM and how do I zap it? The other stuff I know. Sorry for such a newbie question... :(

Good luck with finding a prompt solution to this screen thing. I can imagine how frustrating it is. I'm also looking forward to getting an iMac, so hopefully Apple will demonstrate it's best customer service with you, which would reassure me as well. :o

Mechcozmo
Oct 24, 2004, 11:59 PM
Hey, dial up Apple and ask for one of them new PowerMac G5s, the single 1.8. You never know...

edesignuk
Oct 25, 2004, 02:59 AM
What the heck is PRAM and how do I zap it? The other stuff I know. Sorry for such a newbie question... :(
GUIDE: Zap PRAM, Repair Permissions, & run FSCK (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=89736) ;)

Diatribe
Oct 25, 2004, 03:25 AM
Exactly the same here, this isn't good. But at the same time at least it's not just me! :) But this is reeeeealy ticking me off, if I don't use it for a few minutes, I have to then sleep it and wake it again just to get the screen back to normal, what a joke! This is the 2nd major problem within 10 days of taking delivery :mad:

Wonderful Rev. A Apple experience... you had to do it, didn't you? ;) :D

edesignuk
Oct 25, 2004, 03:41 AM
I'm on the phone to 'em now, they have narrowed it down to ANOTHER hardware fault, and now want me to make the trip in to London (a real pain in the ass) to take it to a repair center....I'm demanding a new machine now. 2 major hardware failures in just over a week, that's ********.

edesignuk
Oct 25, 2004, 05:09 AM
So, I’m getting a replacement…when they have one that is. At first the Apple drone said that they could not replace it as it was against policy, they wanted me to take it to a repair centre, and for them to fix whatever the problem was. I told that that their solution was not good enough, and I wanted a replacement machine delivered to me. Once again, he said that they couldn’t do that, by now it’s time to ask to speak to a manager me thinks! Would you believe, after asking to speak with a manager the drone went away, came back and said that they would DOA the system and replace it. I have now just had to speak with Micro Anvika (the reseller I bought the system from), and they have spoken with Apple, when they have a stock 20” it will be shipped to me.

It’s amazing what a little gentle persuasion (and asking to speak to a manager!) can do :D

daggle
Oct 25, 2004, 05:54 AM
So, I’m getting a replacement…

...after asking to speak with a manager the drone went away, came back and said that they would DOA the system and replace it. I have now just had to speak with Micro Anvika (the reseller I bought the system from), and they have spoken with Apple, when they have a stock 20” it will be shipped to me.

It’s amazing what a little gentle persuasion (and asking to speak to a manager!) can do :D

Well, that's good to hear. After all your problems, I hope the replacement proves trouble free. :)

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 25, 2004, 07:07 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems edesignuk, it really sucks to have all your hopes up only to have problem after problem. Apple has such a poor record with its new products and now having them built in China only adds to the mess. Hope the next one works for you. We talk about those revision A models all the time but it just seems they allways have issues. Thanks for some of you informative posts and photo's im sure a lot of people have gotton something from those. Bet you wish you went powermac.

edesignuk
Oct 25, 2004, 07:09 AM
Bet you wish you went powermac.I still love the form factor, screen, speed and price of the iMac, but am very pissed off with the hassle it has so far caused me :(

caveman_uk
Oct 25, 2004, 08:07 AM
I'm so glad I'm waiting at least until rev B comes out. Maybe I'll get tiger thrown in by then?

applebough
Dec 21, 2004, 11:10 AM
Hi edesignuk,

Did they say what the hardware problem was? I am having some of the same symptoms on my 20" imac G5- occassionaly dimming but not coming back on moving the mouse (recovers if you use sleep). I haven't seen the gradient effect you are talking about though.

Regards,

applebough