PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Recommendations for my iMac?

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2004, 12:36 AM
I thought I'd look into a new mouse for Christmas and wanted to hear what people here had to recommend. I'm still using my original 1-button mouse that came with my G4 iMac which I bought a year ago, and although it still works perfectly, I thought I'd see what was out there for a slick 2-button mouse.

I'm not into gaming, or needing anything wild - just a 2-button mouse, scroll wheel, optical, and I don't even care if it's corded or not!

So, without getting too crazy on buttons, features and price, some solid recommendations would be much appreciated! Even just manufacturers who put out solid products in this area would be great too, I can research from there. (I hear Logitech is fairly good, for instance...)

Thanks in advance! :)

PlaceofDis
Oct 24, 2004, 12:54 AM
Logitech and microsoft probably have the best mice, although i do prefer logitech

their newest mouse the MX1000 is awesome from what i hear, im just waiting for a BT version myself, its a laser instead of the optical sensor, as well as having some other cool features too

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2004, 01:05 AM
Logitech and microsoft probably have the best mice, although i do prefer logitech

their newest mouse the MX1000 is awesome from what i hear, im just waiting for a BT version myself, its a laser instead of the optical sensor, as well as having some other cool features too

Yah I've heard Logitech is very good as well. I'm not interested in a BT version (since I don't have a BT module), but I'll still look into that model. Thanks for the input... :cool:

Any other recommendations out there?

puckhead193
Oct 24, 2004, 01:56 AM
I have the logitech MX510 and its good, does the job, fits comfertbly in my hand

risc
Oct 24, 2004, 02:34 AM
I have the logitech MX510 and its good, does the job, fits comfertbly in my hand

I use the MX510 here with my Power Mac G5. It's got great Mac support, and I'd go as far as to say it's the nicest mouse I've ever used. Give it some Hyper Skatez and an EverGlide mouse surface to sit on and it's perfect!

2much
Oct 24, 2004, 02:46 AM
If you want something that looks like it actually belongs to a Mac & not a PC (& seriously, who wants a piece of hardware with MS written on it...), check out The Mouse (http://www.macmice.com/themouse.html) from MacMice. It's almost identical to the Apple Pro Mouse that would have come with your iMac, except it has 2 buttons & a scroll wheel. It handles very smoothly & feels very solid, as opposed to the various PC mice I am forced to handle at work. And in case you are wondering (I have to admit I did) how the 2 buttons can function separately whilst still being integral to the shell - it works just like Apple's 1 button mouse, pressure on any part of the case results in a mouseclick, except that which side of the case you press on actually matters. :)

risc
Oct 24, 2004, 04:27 AM
And in case you are wondering (I have to admit I did) how the 2 buttons can function separately whilst still being integral to the shell - it works just like Apple's 1 button mouse, pressure on any part of the case results in a mouseclick, except that which side of the case you press on actually matters. :)

I've got 2 of those here right now (I ordered 2 because I thought they'd be perfect) and I have to say I don't agree at all. These mice don't work properly. If I'm playing a game or something I can't click both buttons at once,the buttons will lock up. Sometimes I find myself having to click something 4 or 5 times to get it to register (general desktop use), and this is on 2 mice not one. These may look a little like the Apple 1 button mouse, but quality wise they can't compare at all.

IMHO not a good mouse, and definitely not worth the money.

Golem
Oct 24, 2004, 04:51 AM
I am on my 3rd Logitech(A dual sensor) and they have all been good. Only problem I find is with living in a warm climate and lots of use the rubber and surface detoriates fairly quickly. I have never had any mechanical problems.

If its your first non apple mouse I would recommend a mid range wired Logitech. But do yourself a favor and get a 2 button mouse soon....

cluthz
Oct 24, 2004, 07:29 AM
A third vote for the logitech mx510!
(i actually has the old version mx500)
Its been great! Much better than the crappy m$ explorer mouse it replaced..

rdowns
Oct 24, 2004, 07:31 AM
I've used Microsoft wireless mice for years and love them. So much so, I bought my own for my office.

Recently got a MX-1000 and really like this puppy.

Go wireless!

As for all those who say they will wait for a BT Logitech laser, I say why? It will still have a charging station and need a USB port so why wait? BTW, I have BT in my iMac G5.

PlaceofDis
Oct 24, 2004, 10:27 AM
the reason i am waiting for it to go bt is that i have a powerbook and i dont want to have to drag a cradle with me whereever i go to use an external mouse, now haveing just the cradle at home for charging is no problem, but when im on the go i would prefer a BT version

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
I've got 2 of those here right now (I ordered 2 because I thought they'd be perfect) and I have to say I don't agree at all. These mice don't work properly. If I'm playing a game or something I can't click both buttons at once,the buttons will lock up. Sometimes I find myself having to click something 4 or 5 times to get it to register (general desktop use), and this is on 2 mice not one. These may look a little like the Apple 1 button mouse, but quality wise they can't compare at all.

IMHO not a good mouse, and definitely not worth the money.

I was actually looking at this very model in a store the other day, and was curious if it just looked cool or worked really well in addition. Sounds like I should stay away from it, maybe I'll do a little more research into it. Thanks for the feedback!

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2004, 10:32 AM
I've used Microsoft wireless mice for years and love them. So much so, I bought my own for my office.

Recently got a MX-1000 and really like this puppy.

Go wireless!

Yah, my girlfriend uses a MS mouse, and it works really well - I guess part of me just doesn't think it's right to hook up an MS mouse to a Mac. ;) Mind you, I am running Office v.X on it, so I guess my system isn't MS-free... ;)

Looks like a lot of votes for the Logitech mouses - I'll do some more research on them and probably pick one up. Any further recommendations are more than welcome though!

xg3
Oct 24, 2004, 10:50 AM
i have an ibook,
does a BT uses more battery on the ibook or a mini usb laptop mouse?

Vader
Oct 24, 2004, 12:10 PM
I have a wireless microsoft mouse and it works perfectly! I love the scroll and right-click.

thecow
Oct 24, 2004, 01:17 PM
I had a Kensington StudioMouse Wireless for a while on my mac. When I got it, it cost about $60. It had severe issues with clicking on both buttons. Usually I would have to press the button twice to single-click and 3 times to double-click. The tracking was very jerky. Also, the batteries would hold a charge for about 20 min before dying. I replaced the batteries, and it did the same thing. I didn't try to exchange it with a better one because I didn't like the touch pad scroll wheel (the only thing that worked right). Also, they wouldn't take it back at the store where I bought it. I got a mx500 and it is infinitely better than the StudioMouse.

Hmmm. Its the perfect size and weight for ammo for my trebuchet. :p :D

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2004, 03:52 PM
I had a Kensington StudioMouse Wireless for a while on my mac. When I got it, it cost about $60. It had severe issues with clicking on both buttons. Usually I would have to press the button twice to single-click and 3 times to double-click. The tracking was very jerky. Also, the batteries would hold a charge for about 20 min before dying. I replaced the batteries, and it did the same thing. I didn't try to exchange it with a better one because I didn't like the touch pad scroll wheel (the only thing that worked right). Also, they wouldn't take it back at the store where I bought it. I got a mx500 and it is infinitely better than the StudioMouse.

Hmmm. Its the perfect size and weight for ammo for my trebuchet. :p :D

Cool, thanks for the head's up - I'll steer away from that brand for sure. Looks like Logitech or MS is the way to go... :cool:

macfreek57
Oct 24, 2004, 11:06 PM
Cool, thanks for the head's up - I'll steer away from that brand for sure. Looks like Logitech or MS is the way to go... :cool:

i must tell you not to buy the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse.
it's the cheapest USB, optical mouse they make and it has (obviously) 2 buttons.
and that's all you're looking for, but i have this mouse and it seriously is the worst mouse (in terms of optical functionality) that i have ever used. i bought it for about $20. the problem is, whenever the mouse is sitting still for about 30 seconds (for whatever reason, i.e. typing), it jumps all over the screen when you try to move it. it's the most frustrating thing. my apple pro mouse works a million times better. the only reason that i still use it is because i've gotten too accustomed to using a 2-button and i'm cheap. also, the cord is way too long. it has got to be 6 feet long! i have it wrapped around the back of my iMac. that might have been a good thing if i had a tower computer and kept it on the floor (which i wouldn't), but not for an iMac/eMac/laptop.
anyway,

don't buy it!

as for other MS mice, the other ones that i've used have all been pretty solid, so i don't just have a bias against them all. i would say that the more you pay for an MS mouse, the higher quality (not just features).

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2004, 11:15 PM
i must tell you not to buy the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse.
it's the cheapest USB, optical mouse they make and it has (obviously) 2 buttons.
and that's all you're looking for, but i have this mouse and it seriously is the worst mouse (in terms of optical functionality) that i have ever used. i bought it for about $20. the problem is, whenever the mouse is sitting still for about 30 seconds (for whatever reason, i.e. typing), it jumps all over the screen when you try to move it. it's the most frustrating thing. my apple pro mouse works a million times better. the only reason that i still use it is because i've gotten too accustomed to using a 2-button and i'm cheap. also, the cord is way too long. it has got to be 6 feet long! i have it wrapped around the back of my iMac. that might have been a good thing if i had a tower computer and kept it on the floor (which i wouldn't), but not for an iMac/eMac/laptop.
anyway,

don't buy it!

as for other MS mice, the other ones that i've used have all been pretty solid, so i don't just have a bias against them all. i would say that the more you pay for an MS mouse, the higher quality (not just features).

Thanks for the feedback - this doesn't surprise me, being MS and all. ;) Of course, regardless of the manufacturer, I think the saying is always true, "You get what you pay for". I'll see what MS has for higher-end models, if they'll meet my needs (or be overkill) and I will still be looking into the Logitech models as well - I haven't heard any serious complaints about them as of yet.

Thanks again!

Duff-Man
Oct 24, 2004, 11:23 PM
Duff-Man says....Logitech...get whichever has the buttons/wheels you like....I have the MX500 (wheel and a whole bunch of buttons) and it feels great in my hand. Logitech's software is okay - not as good as Kensignton's - if you want to use and sort of advanced programming on your button(s) get USB Overdrive.....oh yeah!

~Shard~
Oct 25, 2004, 12:11 AM
Duff-Man says....Logitech...get whichever has the buttons/wheels you like....I have the MX500 (wheel and a whole bunch of buttons) and it feels great in my hand. Logitech's software is okay - not as good as Kensignton's - if you want to use and sort of advanced programming on your button(s) get USB Overdrive.....oh yeah!

The MX500 might be a bit much for what I need, but if the price is right, why not! I'm going to look into that model and maybe some of the slightly lower-end/simpler models as well.

So thanks Duff-Man - oh yeah! ;) :cool:

Duff-Man
Oct 25, 2004, 12:36 AM
Duff-Man says...you'll be surprised at just how easy it is to find great uses for those extra buttons - back/forward in your browser, copy/paste, and it does not take very long to get used to using them..but if you go that route with a Logitech USB Overdrive (http://www.usboverdrive.com/) is almost a must have - its worth the $$....oh yeah!

2much
Oct 25, 2004, 06:03 AM
I was actually looking at this very model in a store the other day, and was curious if it just looked cool or worked really well in addition. Sounds like I should stay away from it, maybe I'll do a little more research into it. Thanks for the feedback!

I have to say that I don't want to take anything away from the other guy's experiences with it, but I have had absolutely no problems with The Mouse & I use my Mac for a minimum of 4 hrs every day... plus I have never really come to grips with keyboard shortcuts so I am a mouse-intensive user. When I was looking at replacing the dinky little notebook mouse that was sold to me with my iMac, I went into the Apple reseller & was struck by how all the mice looked exactly like PC mice (partly because most of them were) except for The Mouse & the Apple mouse (of course). That pretty much made up my mind - having to use a PC 8 hrs + a day for my job, I want to come home to something as un-PC-like as possible.

And just to back myself up, here are some reviews of The Mouse:

MacAddict (http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0403/rev.mouse.html)

Envy News (http://envynews.com/index.php?ID=530&page=5)

SpyMac (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_photo.php?picid=273049)

Mac Companion (http://www.maccompanion.com/archives/april2004/hardware.html)

I guess the best way to work out what's best for you would be to find a friendly shop assistant who would be willing to plug one in for you on a demo Mac so you could try it for yourself.

macfreek57
Oct 25, 2004, 09:07 AM
Duff-Man says...you'll be surprised at just how easy it is to find great uses for those extra buttons - back/forward in your browser, copy/paste, and it does not take very long to get used to using them..but if you go that route with a Logitech USB Overdrive (http://www.usboverdrive.com/) is almost a must have - its worth the $$....oh yeah!

man, you are so right. i think mice in a few years (for pc's :rolleyes: ) will start coming standard with 4 or 5 buttons... they should anyway.
it'd be really cool to have full exposÚ functionality on your mouse(!!!).
dang! i think i'll go buy a 80-button mouse right now!

mms
Oct 25, 2004, 08:27 PM
I've had positive experiences with both Logitech and Microsoft for mice. Right now I'm using a trackball, the Logitech Marble Mouse. Took a while to get used to but I now like having a trackball. Not being a gamer, I can't comment about precision, but it's adequate for all of my needs.

~Shard~
Oct 25, 2004, 08:51 PM

I've actually been thinking more and more along these lines myself ever since I started looking into a new mouse. Although I was initially only after a 2-button mouse, I know see where extra buttons could definitely come in handy. They might make me more lazy, but who cares! ;) Thanks again for the input Duff-Man - and here's hoping we get out iTMS tomorrow, eh!!!

~Shard~
Oct 25, 2004, 08:53 PM
I have to say that I don't want to take anything away from the other guy's experiences with it, but I have had absolutely no problems with The Mouse & I use my Mac for a minimum of 4 hrs every day... plus I have never really come to grips with keyboard shortcuts so I am a mouse-intensive user. When I was looking at replacing the dinky little notebook mouse that was sold to me with my iMac, I went into the Apple reseller & was struck by how all the mice looked exactly like PC mice (partly because most of them were) except for The Mouse & the Apple mouse (of course). That pretty much made up my mind - having to use a PC 8 hrs + a day for my job, I want to come home to something as un-PC-like as possible.

And just to back myself up, here are some reviews of The Mouse:

MacAddict (http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0403/rev.mouse.html)

Envy News (http://envynews.com/index.php?ID=530&page=5)

SpyMac (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_photo.php?picid=273049)

Mac Companion (http://www.maccompanion.com/archives/april2004/hardware.html)

I guess the best way to work out what's best for you would be to find a friendly shop assistant who would be willing to plug one in for you on a demo Mac so you could try it for yourself.

Thanks 2much, I appreciate the alternate opinion - that's totally what I'm looking for here to make the best possible choice. I have seen The Mouse on display at my local London Drugs so maybe I'll ask for a test-drive next time I'm in - it'll give me an excuse to use their new PowerMac and display as well... ;)

~Shard~
Oct 25, 2004, 08:55 PM
man, you are so right. i think mice in a few years (for pc's :rolleyes: ) will start coming standard with 4 or 5 buttons... they should anyway.
it'd be really cool to have full exposÚ functionality on your mouse(!!!).
dang! i think i'll go buy a 80-button mouse right now!

An 80-button mouse? I think they already have those - they're called keyboards. ;) All you need to do is add a scroll-wheel and optical sensor to your keyboard and your set!

UWStudent
Oct 25, 2004, 09:03 PM
I use a Logitech MX900 wireless BlueTooth mouse. I absolutely love it. Besides the requisite 2 buttons + scroll wheel, it also has 2 buttons on the left thumb side, 2 more above & below the wheel, and additional one also below the wheel. (Confusing sounding I'm sure, just go to their site and see what I mean). This is great because you can use Apple's System Preferences->Expose to bind 3 of the buttons to the Expose keys. The remaining two buttons (located above & below the wheel) are pre-bound to scrolling up & down. Why is this useful when you already have a scroll wheel? Because sometimes you go to webpages or documents that are just obscenely long, and rather than rolling the wheel over and over, you can just click and hold the scroll button. My only gripe about it is that there is no on-off switch, and so the rechargeable batteries only last me a day. I heard that getting better rechargeable batteries helps though.

In your case, I would highly recommend getting a similar Logitech USB mouse. However, the MX900's charging station also doubles as a BlueTooth reciever which you can plug into your computer. I haven't tried this yet, I just use it for charging, but you could add BlueTooth to your iMac this way. The quality is good and its not a Micro$oft product.

Dr. No
Oct 25, 2004, 09:04 PM
What is the difference between the Logitech MX 500 and MX510??

Duff-Man
Oct 26, 2004, 05:32 PM
What is the difference between the Logitech MX 500 and MX510??Duff-Man says...beside $10??? I think the diff is the 510 uses the newer optical sensor - higher resolution...supposedly more accurate tracking. I have never had any tracking/accuracy problems but then I am not a gamer or high-end graphics guy.....oh yeah!

netherfred
Oct 29, 2004, 10:55 AM
Hi,

having troubles with stiff hands and fore-arms after computer use, I tried about everything there is on the market for a reasonable price. At uni (on a PC) I use a Logitech TrackMan Wheel, which sells here in the Netherlands for about 35 euros. At home also had the same mouse, but here's the story about that: my wrists also started to hurt after typing, so I got a Microsoft Natural Keyboard at work (great!). As for the Mac these don't come separately I had to buy the whole Wireless Optical Desktop Pro 2.0 set from Microsoft with a (for me, complementary) Intellimouse Explorer. Somehow I never used that, but at some point the Logitech trackball also seemed to give me pain at home. So I tried the Microsoft mouse and now I really love it! The weird thing is that here the mouse is rather expensive (42 euros or so, wireless or not doesn't seem to make too much of a difference) but the whole set is a lot cheaper than the combined parts separately (42+45 and 69). Oh btw I disabled the scrollwheel functions of both devices, since these seemed to be contributing a lot to the aches I have/get.
So: try a Logitech Trackman Wheel or a Microsoft Intellipoint Explorer, but the best advice would be to get something that _you_ feel comfortable with.
And if you also have pain in your wrists I also suggest to get Workpace, which is annoying but in the long term very good for your health :)

KSource
Nov 2, 2004, 11:42 AM
Microsoft Intellipoint Explorer Optical Wireless Version... I would not suggest that one.

I stopped using mine a week or so ago due to the fact it had blown up another battery for the 4th time, but this time it managed to actually explode the contents out and blast onto my table with battery content.

Previous experiences involved a nice bam sound and some battery fluid leaking onto my desk.

Probably a defect of my mouse, but whatever. I've had it for over a year and it probably started doing it half a year ago?

Stuck with some 15 dollar Logitech.

cube
Nov 2, 2004, 12:23 PM
Shop around. I was going to get the MX500 because I don't need wireless, but I found an online store which had the MX700 for only the equivalent of $10 more (and about $1 shipping).

mdetry
Nov 2, 2004, 12:32 PM
I am using the Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 and it very solid, has an extraornary wheel. It┤s Great. It┤s Microsoft, I know, but this mouse is great.

I had befor one Wirelles Optical 1.0 or Basic and really was very bad.
The 2.0 is really good.