PDA

View Full Version : Apple's displays

tech4all
Oct 24, 2004, 01:52 AM
What's the difference between the Apple Studio Displays and the Apple Cinema Displays? Basically which one were the clear plastic ones and which one are the new aluminum ones? And why are the names different between the two versions?

Counterfit
Oct 24, 2004, 03:45 AM
I think they called anything under 20" a "Studio Display", so the previous 17" was a Studio Display, as were the transparent CRT models. The plastic and aluminum 20" and 23" models are both cinema displays, the plastic 22" is a Cinema, as is the new 30".

-This post pending verification by looking in Mactracker.
-Verified :D

mklos
Oct 24, 2004, 02:12 PM
Actually, I believe cinema displays are the displays in widescreen format, hence the cinema name. The old 17" plastic LCD was NOT in widescreen format like the 20, 22, and 23, and 30" displays were.

Apple never had any widescreen CRT displays so thats why you never saw an Apple Cinema CRT display.

It always puzzled me as to why Apple doesn't introduce a 17" Widescreen Aluminum display. They could even scale it down a little and not include FireWire ports on the back of it and sell it for around $599/$699. Not everyone has the $1299+ for a 20"+ display nor does everyone have the space for one. Those displays are friggin' HUGE!!!! Even the 20" display is fairly big. A 17" widescreen aluminum display for around $699 would make the $1499 PowerMac even more attractive to the people who don't have an Apple Display and want a PowerMac like me.

wdlove
Oct 24, 2004, 06:59 PM
I purchased on of the older model 17" in January, it was called a Cinema Display. Just the same as the 20" & 23" older model. They no longer make the 17" model since the latest revision to aluminum. The model that I had prior was called a Studio Display, it was a 17" also. Those were the days of the CRT. Now we have the LCD. :D

Chaszmyr
Oct 24, 2004, 07:04 PM
It's been said, but let's consolidate:

Cinema Displays:
Plastic 20'', 22'', and 23'' LCDs (Older)
Aluminum 20'', 23'', and 30'' LCDs (Current)

Studio Displays:
Plastic 17'' LCD (Old)
The old CRT lineup

So the basic difference is, cinema displays are widescreen and studio displays are not. All of the cinema displays are LCDs, but most of the studio displays were CRTs.

mklos
Oct 24, 2004, 08:00 PM
Just as I said...all Apple widescreen displays are called Cinema displays and the non-widescreen displays are called Studio Displays. wdlove...your 17" display is NOT a Cinema display. This term gets thrown around all the time on all of Apple's displays, even the old CRT ones.

spencecb
Oct 24, 2004, 09:29 PM
The 15" LCD was also considered a Studio Display

tech4all
Oct 24, 2004, 09:36 PM
There was a 22" Cinema Display? :confused: I only remember the 17, 20, and 23" plastic displays. That seems odd though seeing as the next model up was only 1" larger. Am I missing something?

mklos
Oct 25, 2004, 06:46 PM
Yes, the 22" Cinema Display was Apple's first actual Cinema Widescreen Display. Apple then introduced a 23" and 20" and then dropped the 22" out. Now they also have a 30" obviously.