Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pixeled_Apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
MeLbourne, Vic Aussiee!
Hi! I'm a Newbie, My First post! Should I get a mac???
I REALLY love the looks of macs they capbilty, performance, features, reliabity, and nearly everything else, When I heard about Mac is built under UNIX and watched the Panther Relase video, and PowerBooks legendary backlit keyboards, macintosh's processors, I was TOTALLY hooked! I'm a real Mac addict.

I Run plenty of Apps!

Make Websites, Program (Visual Basic, Java, Liberty Basic, C, C++) create plenty of graphics using Photoshop, Talk to my Friends, Word Process (For school projects) and be able to run: DREAMWEAVER MX, MX 2004 ; PHOTOSHOP CS ; ANY PROGRAM THAT CAN DEVELOP PROGRAMS USING VISUAL BASIC OR JAVA OR C OR C++ ( I can use VirtualPC )

Which one do you think suits me: ((I really want the pb coz its amazing ambient auto-sensing keyboard!!! :eek: and performance!!!) The iBook :cool: or the beautiful PowerBook :confused: :confused:

Deep Regards!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Hmmm... take a chill pill.

If you really want to get the best out of Photoshop with a laptop, get a Powerbook with the biggest screen you can afford and stick plenty of RAM in it...

If you want it and can afford it, then you don't need our approval. It sounds like you've made your mind up anyway...

So? What are you waiting for? Buy it! Now!
Before you spontaneously self-combust...

:)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, either laptop will let you do those things. Obviously, the main decision you need to make is one of whether you wan to spend the extra on the PB. The iBook is really a very nice system at a reasonable price. The PB is more powerful and more featured - as you know - but a lot pricier.

As a programmer, the 17" PB might be the most attractive to you as it has the best screen resolution. Aside from that resolution - which, I think, is the only compelling factor to buy the 17" - the 15" PB is a very good laptop for the things you mention.

If you don't want to cough up that much money, the 12" iBook gives you most of the functionality and power at roughly half the price of the 15" PB.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
you really need a maxed out 17" pb i think! or at least a top whack 15" pb. get it and enjoy it!

you have basically answered your question yourself in your post. you know you want a pb so get out their and start enjoying it!

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
if money is limited, I cant see a reason to buy PB these days.. ibook is just upgraded and quite powerful.. I'd go for a 12" iBook, if I'd buy for myself..

but if you have plenty of money, I'd go for 17"PB.. its a great machine and not that big like you may think.. its really thin and wonderfully cool and carnivorusly powerful.. a 17" Powerbook G5 RevB is going to be my new next portable for example :D

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
the PBs screen brightness is better than the iBook's. also, the current iBook graphics card doesn't support a feature in 10.4 called CoreImage. so getting a PB will give you some future-proofing

Pixeled_Apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
MeLbourne, Vic Aussiee!
Thanks alot Guys! I'm 14, and my parents cannot afford a 17", so I'm gettin a 15" SD PowerBook! :D :cool:

1 More Question: Are they any programs for MAC, that'll let u program in Visual Basic or Java or C or C++ or Liberty Basic ?? (I need Visual Basic the most) If there isn't can I use VB under Virtual PC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.