Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I had really decided to buy a new iMac from United States and use it here in Turkey. Then two things happened, and all of a sudden I'm disappointed and I guess my mind is changing..

the first thing was the british lady in the hardware section of the forum, who burned her iMac G5 because it didnt have auto-switch power supply unit.. After I learned that fact, I phoned a close-friend working in Apple IMC in Turkey to ask about how to change the power supply, he said it'll be easy but 'desktop' USA macs dont have warranty here in Turkey.. I said my powerbook have warranty and he said he knows that the portables do have but the desktops dont.. Now I'm double disappointed.. Plus iMac G5 is just Revision A.. Plus it has that cheap 5200 graphic card..

I really need a new desktop these days, but I dont want to have a damn sh*ty PC..

I dont know.. any ideas???

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
how about the single 1.8g5 powermac. you could change the graphics card. has vast possibilities for expansion and i think it has a switch on the powersupply (well i heard that somewhere). no decent computer would not have an automatic switching power supply.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I too would go with the SP 1.8 PM. It should, though I don't know for sure, have a switchable power supply. It is just as capabable as the iMac and upgradeable, to an extent, for the future.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'd like to third the SP 1.8 PM. I have the original version and it's great, and will last for many more years than an imac because of the expandability.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
russed said:
how about the single 1.8g5 powermac. you could change the graphics card. has vast possibilities for expansion and i think it has a switch on the powersupply (well i heard that somewhere). no decent computer would not have an automatic switching power supply.
Tech specs on Apple's website lead one to conclude that all PM G5's have the same power supply. The duals all have switching ones, so I assume that the single processor does as well.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Personally, I would not let the British lady's experience scare you away from buying the new iMac. It is clear that she made the mistake in buying the iMac from the US, and therefore it was not compatible with European electrical sockets. I'm not sure why the iMac does not have an automatic switch, but I can tell you it is a very capable computer. I got mine about two weeks ago, and it runs circles around any of my friends computers or any other computer I have ever used. And thats not to say that the new 1.8 GHz G5 PowerMac wouldn't be a bad choice, because its quite the capable computer as well. It is just a matter of if you are looking for an all-in-one computer, or not! Just my 2 cents!

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
russed said:

Well thanks for your advice but a friend will bring it to me, and she said that in order to not to have a problem at customs, she'll put it in the baggage.. I also thought about the 1.8 Single PM, but that would not fit in a baggage, right :( ...

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
spencecb said:
Personally, I would not let the British lady's experience scare you away from buying the new iMac. It is clear that she made the mistake in buying the iMac from the US, and therefore it was not compatible with European electrical sockets. I'm not sure why the iMac does not have an automatic switch, but I can tell you it is a very capable computer. I got mine about two weeks ago, and it runs circles around any of my friends computers or any other computer I have ever used. And thats not to say that the new 1.8 GHz G5 PowerMac wouldn't be a bad choice, because its quite the capable computer as well. It is just a matter of if you are looking for an all-in-one computer, or not! Just my 2 cents!

I'm sure it's really capable, thats why I'll be so sad if I cant buy one.. but the point is that, a friend will bring it from US to here.. So, I'll be in the same position with that lady; an american iMac Power Supply and European electrical system..

and the reason I buy it from there is because of the price difference between countries and to be able to use a educational discount..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.