Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Hi,

My 13" 4 year old macbook's headphone jack hasn't been working for the last week. I had been using a messed up cord (the adaptor part was bent) to plug it into speakers, and eventually it misplaced or bent something in the headphone jack.

This is the important part, the headphone jack still works. If i put in headphones and push the headphone connector thing (sorry I don't know the word) forward (towards the screen) it recognizes and works.

This leads me to believe the headphone jack has been knocked out of place or there is something bent in there. Is there any potential fix because I have a lot of plane flights coming up and don't want to be stuck with just the music on my iPod.

Thanks

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Is there anything I can do? I really don't have the time to go to the apple store and don't feel like spending money on something that seems to be an easy fix.

Should I try sticking something in the jack and trying to get it back into place?

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I don't think there is, I have checked in there with a flashlight.

I disassembled the computer, but there isn't really a way to get to the headphone jack, but I could be wrong.

I really want to get this problem fixed as plane flights really suck without music and movies, and I am thinking of selling the computer soon and don't want to drop the price due to this problem

miicah

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
You really have no choice but to open it up and see what's going on.

ifixit should have disassembly guides

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
You really have no choice but to open it up and see what's going on.

ifixit should have disassembly guides

I have disassembled the computer, but there is no obvious way to get into the headphone jack
715l4p.jpg

There is a picture of the inside of the macbook, you can sort of see the headphone jack and other ports. The are connected to the logic board and I really don't know how to take them apart.

I have checked ifixit and searched very hard for a way to disassemble the headphone jack, but with no luck. If anyone knows how to do this I would be very grateful if you told me.

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Does anyone have any ideas? I would take it apart if I could find instructions on how to take out the headphone jack, but there is nothing online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.