PDA

View Full Version : Design different: the new 1.8 mono G5

MacBytes
Oct 24, 2004, 02:57 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Design different: the new 1.8 mono G5 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041024155748)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

jimsowden
Oct 24, 2004, 03:40 PM
I think everyone condemed those pictues. Now it looks like they were just WWWAAAAYYY early. I will keep a more opened mind in the future. (Yeah, right.)

brap
Oct 24, 2004, 03:44 PM
I think everyone condemed those pictues. Now it looks like they were just WWWAAAAYYY early. I will keep a more opened mind in the future. (Yeah, right.)
The pictures weren't early. The iMac G5 was WWWAAAAYYY late ;)

Poff
Oct 24, 2004, 05:16 PM
Interesting..

This makes me hope a lower end, single processor model will be there for a while. I'm gonna get a portable at first, but if I can justify and afford buying a new desktop machine later, this will probably be the one I'll be getting because of the expandability.. That and a 20 or 23-incher. It will be a nice power-machine for making music when I'm at home..

2GMario
Oct 24, 2004, 06:28 PM
im not sure on the pricing, but this could be the same idea as the ipod and ipod mini

show the customer something cool, cheap (relativily anyways), the imac g5, then show them something a bit better, single processor g5, and u might get that customer to spend the money on the g5

i have no use for a single processor g5 right now, but for someone looking to switch to mac, it might be a option.

and by all means im not saying the imac g5 is a bad pc, but u look at the imac and then u look at a regular g5, the g5 more resembles thier dell, gateway, etc...

-Mario

Sun Baked
Oct 24, 2004, 06:43 PM
They are the same machine iMac = SP 1.8 PowerMac

Apple just added a AGP slot, 3 PCI slots and 2 more DIMM slots to the iMac G5's chipset.

Of course it does twist Apple's 3 version line-up a bit, with 4 machines and 3 completely different motherboard for all the rev. B PM G5.

Compared to 3 machines and 1 motherboard architecture for the rev. A -- where the board was the same and it left off sockets (DIMM/CPU) and enabled/disable features to distinguish between the various versions.

Nermal
Oct 24, 2004, 11:28 PM
Am I the only person who read 'design different' like 'think different' instead of 'the design is different'? :rolleyes:

Golem
Oct 25, 2004, 01:11 AM
Of course it does twist Apple's 3 version line-up a bit, with 4 machines and 3 completely different motherboard for all the rev. B PM G5.

Cant see that lasting. Rev C will probably drop out the middle spec motherboard.

katanna
Oct 25, 2004, 03:09 AM
and the mono 1.8 will probably be a quieter machine than the dual G5s

Quieter being relative?? Can you get any quieter?
(this being a rhetorical question... I have never heard one)

Matthew

wrldwzrd89
Oct 25, 2004, 04:55 AM
Am I the only person who read 'design different' like 'think different' instead of 'the design is different'? :rolleyes:
I did the same thing you did, Nermal... :rolleyes:
If the new SP 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 were in my market segment, I'd snap one up right away. However, I'm not going to buy one for two reasons:
1. I'm not ready to replace my current Mac. It's not even 1 year old yet!
2. I'd rather get a DP PowerMac to replace the Mac I have.

billyboy
Oct 25, 2004, 03:05 PM
Please send out some good vibes as my boss ponders my proposal for one of these 1.8 G5 Powermacs. It is just what we need here to get some serious and affordable beef behind my Powerbook, which has been thrilling the crowds for months.

eric67
Oct 27, 2004, 07:28 AM
They are the same machine iMac = SP 1.8 PowerMac

Apple just added a AGP slot, 3 PCI slots and 2 more DIMM slots to the iMac G5's chipset.

Compared to 3 machines and 1 motherboard architecture for the rev. A -- where the board was the same and it left off sockets (DIMM/CPU) and enabled/disable features to distinguish between the various versions.
hte chipset is probably the same, allowing to have a bus frequency equals to 1/3 of the processor frequency, where as all PMG5 dual have a chipset allowing a bus frequency equivalent to 1/2 of the processor frequency, it tops at 1.25GHz.

PMG5 SP has a motherboard much related to the PMG5 dual ,than to the iMacG5, some components can be similar between the PMG5 SP and the iMacG5 , bus that's all.

Sun Baked
Oct 27, 2004, 07:37 PM
hte chipset is probably the same, allowing to have a bus frequency equals to 1/3 of the processor frequency, where as all PMG5 dual have a chipset allowing a bus frequency equivalent to 1/2 of the processor frequency, it tops at 1.25GHz.

PMG5 SP has a motherboard much related to the PMG5 dual ,than to the iMacG5, some components can be similar between the PMG5 SP and the iMacG5 , bus that's all.The newest SP 1.8 PM is running the same chipset as the iMac G5, while the DP PowerMacs are running a completely different chipset.

Therefore the rev B SP 1.8 PM is related to the iMac and not the PM, since it's using the iMacs chipset (U3-Lite and Shasta chipset) versus the DP capable (U3/U3H and K2) chipset from the XServe/PowerMac.

It is using a PM case, so it only looks like a PM on the outside.

People were equally confused over the SDR eMac, which actually used the PowerMac chipset -- and therefore had more in common with the PowerMac than the iMac everybody always confused it with.

The SP PowerMac shows that the capability for PCI slots, and more DIMM slots are built into the iMac chipset -- but not used in the iMac.

Apple does this quite a bit.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 28, 2004, 06:54 AM
Its the new headless imac! now if they would make the case about half as tall they would be onto something.