Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I heard rumors that magnetic clasps sometimes caused problems with first gen iPhones, so when I got my 3G I got a velcro case. Since then, my daughter has used it as a step to climb up onto my head, so the clip on it is pretty much gone. In preparation for the iPhone 4, I got a new case.. this one has a magnetic clasp. However, now I'm wondering if the clasp will interfere with the phone... any idea if it will or not?

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
I just got a new iPhone 4 and the compass was never able to point in a right direction. It was always telling me to wave the thing in a figure 8. That never solved anything. I was about to call Apple and complain when I saw a couple of mentions of the magnet in cases and the compass. I took the phone out of the case and the problem stopped. I was trying to use Urbanspoon to show where restaurants were and it would continually act up. Without the case, it works perfectly. So, I am taking out all of the magnets in my cases and replacing them with velcro. I am also looking at a Marware case which isn't really out yet but it looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.