PDA

View Full Version : ATT doesn't let me activate my phone (Upgrade SWAP) (UPDATE)

i-Engineer
Jun 23, 2010, 11:31 AM
I want to preform an upgrade swap and I called ATT based on what they posted on their website. They said we can't preform that unless we activate the device and we can't activate. It has to be done through Apple.

As we prepare to ship devices, we want to make sure that we set your service up the way you want it. Your iPhone 4 has a micro-SIM card that is inside the device. This micro-SIM will be activated to the upgrade eligible phone number that you used to place your order. If that is the same phone number you plan to use with your iPhone 4, you are all set. Just follow the step-by-step activation instructions that arrive with your shipment.
However, if the number you used to order your device is NOT the number you intend to use with your iPhone 4, follow these simple steps when your device arrives and an ATT representative will help you activate.
1. As soon as you receive your new iPhone 4, charge your device fully.
2. Contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that received the upgrade to iPhone 4.
3. At the next prompt, choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T representative will help you from there.
4. After speaking with the AT&T representative, you will be instructed to launch iTunes (www.itunes.com) and connect your device.
Please call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a wireless phone if you have further questions. We're here to help ensure you have a great experience with your new device.

Update:
I went to a corporate store and they told me the new micro sim is active in the system and when I told the guy that is strange because my wife's phone still working. He looked again to the system and said it is active but waiting to accept the terms and condition. The long story short, he did the swap on the computer and give me a new microsim and a new sim for my wife's phone. He even was so nice and offered to transfer my contacts' numbers to the new iphone. He said it is the first time he touches iphone 4 since they didn't receive any shipment yet.
P.S: I asked him if they do have a lot of microsim supplies for the iphone not the ipad and he said yes

mbsaeger
Jun 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
I want to preform an upgrade swap and I called ATT based on what they posted on their website. They said we can't preform that unless we activate the device and we can't activate. It has to be done through Apple.

I've been through this. Try the AT&T store.

i-Engineer
Jun 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
I've been through this. Try the AT&T store.

Before or after activating the device. I didn't activate mine yet ??

mbsaeger
Jun 23, 2010, 11:42 AM
Before or after activating the device. I didn't activate mine yet ??

Before. You need a microsim for YOUR line.

i-Engineer
Jun 23, 2010, 11:44 AM
I am going to see one now

apple3g040193
Jun 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Id call back and try again because it says it possible on the website and on the phone if not go to an att store.

LordOBoogie
Jun 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
Have you changed addresses recently? I had to change my ZIP code to my old ZIP to get it to activate. :confused:

i-Engineer
Jun 23, 2010, 11:51 AM
Have you changed addresses recently? I had to change my ZIP code to my old ZIP to get it to activate. :confused:

I have been living on the same address for three years. It is strange!!!

VTAb182
Jun 23, 2010, 12:28 PM
please update when you solve this problem. I would like to know, too

Avenger
Jun 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
Oh damn I hope this isn't a problem. I wanted to perform an update swap as well (bought the phone from ATT). I even double checked by calling them a few days ago to make sure it was alright. They said they could swap the numbers on the phone. Plus everyone on this board said it was a simple process during the last iphone iteration.

Runt888
Jun 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
Just tried to do this, they're telling me I need to go to a store and get a new SIM. Going to try again and see if I get a different answer.

UPDATE: I called again and got a different person who seemed to know what she was talking about. She took the ICCID and IMEI numbers from the box, and supposedly switched them to my line. When I plug into iTunes, it still shows the old number. I'm going to try to activate anyway and see what happens.

UPDATE 2:Well, that didn't work. I'm now getting an error, saying that I need an unactivated SIM card. I guess I'll be going to the store after all.

NightStorm
Jun 23, 2010, 01:25 PM
Just tried to do this, they're telling me I need to go to a store and get a new SIM. Going to try again and see if I get a different answer.

UPDATE: I called again and got a different person who seemed to know what she was talking about. She took the ICCID and IMEI numbers from the box, and supposedly switched them to my line. When I plug into iTunes, it still shows the old number. I'm going to try to activate anyway and see what happens.

UPDATE 2:Well, that didn't work. I'm now getting an error, saying that I need an unactivated SIM card. I guess I'll be going to the store after all.

I had this happen, so I went to the store and got a new SIM... and it still won't activate. The first screen reports the original number, and the process errors out after accepting the terms and conditions. Guess I'll be heading back to the store again after work. =(

bdeitemeyer
Jun 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
The AT&T upgrade guide is BS at the moment, option #2 on step 2 isn't even relevant to their instructions (you'll see if you try calling).

Anyways, I just completed my upgrade swap after talking with 2 AT&T CS reps over the phone and driving to an AT&T store. The iPhone 4 must be activated on the original (the line that was eligible for the upgrade) line first so that the owner accepts the Terms & Conditions set forth by Apple/AT&T. Once that line is activated, you need to call AT&T back with the IMEI numbers of both the iPhone 4 and the phone that you just kicked off (since you activated it on a line that you don't intend to use it on). AT&T can then switch the numbers around, moving the iPhone 4 to the intended line and re-activate the irrelevant phone that was eligible for the upgrade swap. I then had to drive to my local AT&T store to replace both the MicroSIM and SIM for the two lines. After all was said & done, my iPhone 4 was successfully swapped over to the intended line and the upgrade-eligible line was re-activated with my old 3GS. Good luck everyone.

i-Engineer
Jun 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
I Updated the thread. My upgrade SWAP is done by now

chhhrrriiisss
Jun 23, 2010, 02:12 PM
in the same boat... I've been on the phone with an AT&T Rep for about 20 minutes. I think I'm going to need a new microsim.

FSUSem1noles
Jun 23, 2010, 02:16 PM
All you have to do is call AT&T before connecting to iTunes. Give them your IMEI number and ICCID number. After you hang up with them plug it into iTunes and it will detect the new phone number.

I don't understand why everyone is having to drive to pick up sim cards and what not...

I did this all from my home over the phone....

VTAb182
Jun 23, 2010, 02:18 PM
If you just go to the AT&T store right off the bat, without making calls, will they be able to do it all?

bdeitemeyer
Jun 23, 2010, 02:20 PM
All you have to do is call AT&T before connecting to iTunes. Give them your IMEI number and ICCID number. After you hang up with them plug it into iTunes and it will detect the new phone number.

I don't understand why everyone is having to drive to pick up sim cards and what not...

Tried that, didn't work. After giving them the IMEI number and ICCID number of the iPhone 4, I was told the swap was successful. When I plugged the phone into iTunes, I was shown the original number (the upgrade-eligible number, not the number I was trying to swap the phone over to) prepared for activation setup. I was then told by another AT&T rep that I HAD to activate it on that line in order to accept the terms & conditions, then transfer it over after it's been activated. I realize this goes against their bulletin and makes things complicated, but that's out of my control.

chhhrrriiisss
Jun 23, 2010, 02:21 PM

I plugged my iPhone into the computer before calling.. I've been on hold for about a half hour. Should I just go to AT&T for a new sim?

bdeitemeyer
Jun 23, 2010, 02:21 PM
If you just go to the AT&T store right off the bat, without making calls, will they be able to do it all?

Yes, assuming they have spare MicroSIMs that they're willing to use.

NightStorm
Jun 23, 2010, 02:24 PM

That's exactly what I tried to do... and it didn't work.

WilliamG
Jun 23, 2010, 02:29 PM
DO NOT DO what the first post suggests. You need to activate the phone FIRST. If you don't, it gives an error during the process and says you need an unactivated SIM. Don't get the SIM activated by AT&T.

Ugh... now I need to go to an AT&T store... *sigh*...

chhhrrriiisss
Jun 23, 2010, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know if Apple stores can replace Sim Cards? My local At&t stores do not carry micro sims yet.

WilliamG
Jun 23, 2010, 02:47 PM
Does anyone know if Apple stores can replace Sim Cards? My local At&t stores do not carry micro sims yet.

It says they do, but no AT&Ts carry them yet, so I'm screwed with my iPhone. Awesome!

Runt888
Jun 23, 2010, 02:48 PM
Just got back from AT&T. I ended up going through three different SIM cards before they got it to work. Also, I need to swap the SIM in the other phone that the upgrade was done on.

What a mess...

I tried this also, got an error message in iTunes saying a needed a new, unactivated SIM.

chhhrrriiisss
Jun 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
It says they do, but no AT&Ts carry them yet, so I'm screwed with my iPhone. Awesome!

I'm pretty annoyed with how difficult it is to switch this phone to my new phone. I guess I need a new microsim and no at&t's around me have them. I now have my brothers phone number on my new iPhone 4 and can't get it off.

bdeitemeyer
Jun 23, 2010, 02:56 PM

Keep calling around, all the AT&Ts here in Tampa have spare MicroSIMs. If the store is selling iPhones tomorrow, they should have a stock of MicroSIMs.

chhhrrriiisss
Jun 23, 2010, 03:02 PM
I just called an AT&T store and they told me that they have them but they can't sell them until tomorrow.

bdeitemeyer
Jun 23, 2010, 03:08 PM
I just called an AT&T store and they told me that they have them but they can't sell them until tomorrow.

Sell them? I didn't buy my replacement...it's not the phone owner's fault that they can't transfer the phone to a different number without using another MicroSIM. I'd try convincing them to allow a replacement asap.

Bankerts
Jun 23, 2010, 03:11 PM
I had no problem doing this.
* Called 611 from my work blackberry
* Entered the number that was eligible for upgrade
* Entered 2 and talked to a very helpful CSR.

10 minutes later I was all set. This was at about 1pm ET

iPhone Addict
Jun 23, 2010, 03:14 PM
I had no problem doing this.
* Called 611 from my work blackberry
* Entered the number that was eligible for upgrade
* Entered 2 and talked to a very helpful CSR.

10 minutes later I was all set. This was at about 1pm ET

Thank you for chiming in -- was this before you connected the phone to iTunes?

krad
Jun 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
Okay, after numerous conversations with AT&T, I finally feel satisfied that the information that everyone here seems to agree on is the correct information (as I suspected). I've been a long time reader of the forums, but finally decided to register because of my own frustration with this whole process that everyone else seems to also be experiencing.

I am doing an upgrade swap but because of the pre-order snafu I ended up with just a reservation at the Apple store. My concern was not being able to purchase the iPhone 4 at the reduced price because of all the issues that have been going on. I was told by AT&T 611 customer service the first time around that Apple could not do upgrade swap. I then went by the AT&T store and spoke with the manager, who said it would not be an issue, that Apple just had to contact AT&T during the activation process. This was last week.

Today I called 611 because I've been reading about all these upgrade swap issues. The first rep I spoke to was rude and dismissive; she said I would need to purchase two new SIM cards. I told her that per the AT&T upgrade guide on their website this did not appear to be the case - she did not appear to care. I ended up calling back to 611 and speaking with a much nicer rep. She initially told me the same thing as the first rep but when I asked about the info on the website (and read it to her) and about what the store said, she said that based on what the website said, I would be correct. She also put me on hold to check it out with her supervisors (whoa, follow up!) and she came back and told me that the info online was correct. I will be able to activate tomorrow at the Apple store, I will just need to call AT&T with the IMEI number first before Apple starts the activation process.

Although, I'm prepared to have issues tomorrow, at least I feel equipped with good information.

ChrisN
Jun 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hi, I received my phone approx. 1 hour ago and immediately tried to activate it. I put in all the necessary information and I thought I was done. It gave me a screen where it said to sync and set up your iPhone, disconnect and then reconnect. So I did that and put everything on my phone and that's that. Unfortunately, my phone is still not activated and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Any help is much appreciated,
ChrisN

Guning
Jun 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
Okay, after numerous conversations with AT&T, I finally feel satisfied that the information that everyone here seems to agree on is the correct information (as I suspected). I've been a long time reader of the forums, but finally decided to register because of my own frustration with this whole process that everyone else seems to also be experiencing.

I am doing an upgrade swap but because of the pre-order snafu I ended up with just a reservation at the Apple store. My concern was not being able to purchase the iPhone 4 at the reduced price because of all the issues that have been going on. I was told by AT&T 611 customer service the first time around that Apple could not do upgrade swap. I then went by the AT&T store and spoke with the manager, who said it would not be an issue, that Apple just had to contact AT&T during the activation process. This was last week.

Today I called 611 because I've been reading about all these upgrade swap issues. The first rep I spoke to was rude and dismissive; she said I would need to purchase two new SIM cards. I told her that per the AT&T upgrade guide on their website this did not appear to be the case - she did not appear to care. I ended up calling back to 611 and speaking with a much nicer rep. She initially told me the same thing as the first rep but when I asked about the info on the website (and read it to her) and about what the store said, she said that based on what the website said, I would be correct. She also put me on hold to check it out with her supervisors (whoa, follow up!) and she came back and told me that the info online was correct. I will be able to activate tomorrow at the Apple store, I will just need to call AT&T with the IMEI number first before Apple starts the activation process.

Although, I'm prepared to have issues tomorrow, at least I feel equipped with good information.

This is basically the same position I am in. I've called AT&T several times and (like you) have been told two different things. I went to the AT&T store yesterday and spoke with a couple of different guys, who told me that the best thing to do for an upgrade swap is to have it done at the AT&T store but that it is definitely possible to do it at the Apple store, via calling AT&T. I'm going to print out http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone4upgradesupport.jsp and bring it with me to show the Apple rep what exactly it is I want to do just in case.

Hopefully it'll work out for us!! :)

cmcclure16
Jun 23, 2010, 04:36 PM
Well I just tried to do a swap with AT&T and she took down the required #'s and had me connect to iTunes but it still showed the old # so then she didn't know what to do and transferred me to Apple Support who told me they had no clue and I had to go to the AT&T store (as I suspected). I don't even know why she transferred me to them.

This is frustrating. I hope my store has the micro-SIMs in.

johnhirsch
Jun 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
Having the same issue as above. On hold with them now after supposedly transferring IMEI and ICCID.

Eallan
Jun 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
On phone with them now. She's insisting she cannot do it until tomorrow. What an absolutely incompetent organization.

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 07:24 PM
I'm running into the same situation. Called AT&T from my 3G and gave them the IMEI and ICCID for the new iPhone. She does something and in the process disconnects me and now my 3G has no service and nor does my iPhone 4

So I go to the AT&T store and they tell me that my phone # is associated with the iPhone 3 IMEI and ICCID and I need to go home and activate via iTunes

Thinking all is well, I hook the phone up to iTunes and it is showing the upgrade # rather than mine. I don't want to screw anything up with my fiance's number so I haven't done anything yet in terms of activation

I'm waiting for her to come home so I can use her 3GS to call AT&T back and see if they can fix this issue without swapping sims, etc as I haven't activated anything yet

emaja
Jun 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
I got quite a run around from AT&T on the phone. It seems that they had a problem since I had already activated the iPhone 4 before calling them.

I went into my local AT&T store and they issued me new SIMs for the old iPhone 3G and my iPhone 4. Got the numbers switched in a few short minutes in the stores.

drporf
Jun 23, 2010, 07:57 PM
I called ATT and had them switch the phone to my line before activating, I didn't even have to give them the sim or serial numbers.. They just needed the two phone numbers involved in the swap. It took 2 minutes and then connected to itunes and I was up and running.. Pretty painless!

foolio
Jun 23, 2010, 08:02 PM
Good luck with this.. it was quite a mess for me too..

Just calling and having them put the ICID/IMEI onto the recipient account/phone number won't work for most, I believe...

I ended up getting a new microsim (since the process invalidated my microsim) and activating the iphone 4 on the donor's phone #. I then trimmed the SIM on the recipient iphone and used that in the iphone 4. That worked fine.. I used the new microsim in my original Iphone via a make-shift adapter...

what a total flail

foolio
Jun 23, 2010, 08:03 PM
I called ATT and had them switch the phone to my line before activating, I didn't even have to give them the sim or serial numbers.. They just needed the two phone numbers involved in the swap. It took 2 minutes and then connected to itunes and I was up and running.. Pretty painless!

this sounds like the appropriate way for them to do it rather than manipulating the ICID/IMEI onto another account

PLin
Jun 23, 2010, 08:05 PM
I did an upgrade swap this afternoon without ANY problems. I ordered an iPhone 4 using my mom's upgrade. When it arrived, I didn't even open the box. I called AT&T, gave them the IMEI and ICCID numbers off the bottom of the box and told them the number of the line that I wanted to use the iPhone 4 with. Took less than 5 minutes. Opened the box, plugged it into iTunes, and the activation worked fine and showed my phone number.

Bankerts
Jun 23, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thank you for chiming in -- was this before you connected the phone to iTunes?

Yes, before. I took it out of the box, showed it off to some folks in the office, then called. My MacBook didn't even come out of my bag until after I got off the phone with AT&T.

StPatty33
Jun 23, 2010, 08:15 PM

Update:
I went to a corporate store and they told me the new micro sim is active in the system and when I told the guy that is strange because my wife's phone still working. He looked again to the system and said it is active but waiting to accept the terms and condition. The long story short, he did the swap on the computer and give me a new microsim and a new sim for my wife's phone. He even was so nice and offered to transfer my contacts' numbers to the new iphone. He said it is the first time he touches iphone 4 since they didn't receive any shipment yet.
P.S: I asked him if they do have a lot of microsim supplies for the iphone not the ipad and he said yes

I called ATT first thing after I got my phone as well to do an upgrade swap (as they told us to in that email and text message they sent over the last couple days). The CSR agent was intensely confused, as was her manager. So, after wasting our time, walking us through registration on iTunes and other unrelated, useless crap, they transferred us to APPLE--and of course the Apple CSR knew what we were referring to and knew that only ATT could do it. I had to call ATT back, and the new CSR knew what we needed--it took her probably 10 minutes to determine exactly how to do it, but it all worked out in the end.

I thought for sure that ATT was going to screw it up to where we would have to come into a store to complete it. Wasted an hour of my time, but they figured it out as soon as I got someone with half an ounce of technological know-how on the phone.

xxMACxx
Jun 23, 2010, 08:46 PM
What a cluster f*&k!

After 5 hours of dealing with this I'm finally straight... I also followed the directions from the AT&T email and they screwed me up. Ended up at the AT&T store and they were worthless. After burning thru 2 sim cards I finally called Apple. They were helpful, but couldn't resolve the issue. They got me in touch with AT&T again, but this time the rep was amazing! He knew what he was talking about and knew where the other people screwed up. I got his, and his boss's, email addresses to thank him for his dedication to getting this done and his knowledge.

There seems to be 2 sets of directions floating around out there, and I think the right way is to activate the phone before trying to do the swap...

The new iPhone sure seems awesome so far... once activated! :)

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 08:51 PM
What a cluster f*&k!

After 5 hours of dealing with this I'm finally straight... I also followed the directions from the AT&T email and they screwed me up. Ended up at the AT&T store and they were worthless. After burning thru 2 sim cards I finally called Apple. They were helpful, but couldn't resolve the issue. They got me in touch with AT&T again, but this time the rep was amazing! He knew what he was talking about and knew where the other people screwed up. I got his, and his boss's, email addresses to thank him for his dedication to getting this done and his knowledge.

There seems to be 2 sets of directions floating around out there, and I think the right way is to activate the phone before trying to do the swap...

Please elaborate. If we activate the phone before the swap then we are in the position of going to AT&T and replacing sim cards and inconveniencing the donor account

Please please let us know what they did to get it to work. I'm on with AT&T right now and the CSR has noooo clue

fishkorp
Jun 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
What a cluster f*&k!

Did you buy the phone from AT&T or from Apple? I think it's a different process depending on where you bought it from. I got 1 phone from each and the screen when you plug it into iTunes is different.

If you bought from Apple, any ideas what they did, or a name/number we can call? (You can PM it to me if you don't want to post it). As soon as my phone came I called AT&T to do the swap, just like the instructions say. He swapped the IMEI and SIM info in their system and said all is good to go. The phone that had that number (3GS) had the "no signal," so I knew they moved the account to the new phone. Well, when I plug it into iTunes it insists on activating it with the number it was bought with. I called Apple, they said I have to activate it with that number, then do the swap. Well, I tried (even though the swap was already done), and I get the error that I need a new SIM. So now I have no working phone on that account since AT&T stores are closed. So if I can take care of this over the phone with AT&T tonight it would be great.

drporf
Jun 23, 2010, 09:06 PM
The rep I spoke to knew exactly what to do.. She took my upgrade # and the number I wanted to activate on.. After 2 minutes she told me to connect to itunes. She even waited on the line and then gave me a test call. The upgrade line was not affected and my phone was working properly with my number.. I was shocked it was that easy..

StPatty33
Jun 23, 2010, 09:07 PM
Please elaborate. If we activate the phone before the swap then we are in the position of going to AT&T and replacing sim cards and inconveniencing the donor account

Please please let us know what they did to get it to work. I'm on with AT&T right now and the CSR has noooo clue

The way mine worked was that it had to be activated, but not set up yet. Follow everything on iTunes to the point where it asks if you want to restore from backup or set up as a new phone. I disconnected it, and at that point ATT should just need your sim number (ICCID) and the instructions of which phone number the phone should be using. Reconnect and you're golden.

krad
Jun 23, 2010, 09:12 PM
This is basically the same position I am in. I've AT&T several and (like you) have been told two different things. I went to the AT&T store yesterday and spoke with a couple of different guys, who told me that the best thing to do for an upgrade swap is to have it done at the AT&T store but that it is definitely possible to do it at the Apple store, via calling AT&T. I'm going to print out http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone4upgradesupport.jsp and bring it with me to show the Apple rep what exactly it is I want to do just in case.

Hopefully it'll work out for us!! :)

Haha, I printed it out too! Good luck!

cmcclure16
Jun 23, 2010, 09:13 PM
So I ended up going into the AT&T store to have them give me a new microSIM (I called ahead of time and she told me it would cost $15, however we walked away with it for free). Anyways, apparently the guy was having issues getting it to activate because their computer did not have iTunes 9.2 on it, so he said to just connect when I get home and all should be good. Well... I just got home, and despite him giving me a brand new microSIM, iTunes is STILL showing the original number that the line was upgraded on. This is just so frustrating.

drporf
Jun 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
I called ATT before even opening the box. Gave them my info regarding the swap and then I connected to itunes. This worked like a charm..

fishkorp
Jun 23, 2010, 09:16 PM
UPDATE: I fixed mine myself. Since the SIM was already "registered" to the number but the phone wouldn't activate, I put the SIM in the already-activated iPhone 4 and it just worked. So I put the SIM from that one in the unactivated phone and activated it. Then swapped the SIMs back. Now both phones are activated and working fine.

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 09:18 PM
UPDATE: I fixed mine myself. Since the SIM was already "registered" to the number but the phone wouldn't activate, I put the SIM in the already-activated iPhone 4 and it just worked. So I put the SIM from that one in the unactivated phone and activated it. Then swapped the SIMs back. Now both phones are activated and working fine.

Huh, this doesn't make sense

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
The way mine worked was that it had to be activated, but not set up yet. Follow everything on iTunes to the point where it asks if you want to restore from backup or set up as a new phone. I disconnected it, and at that point ATT should just need your sim number (ICCID) and the instructions of which phone number the phone should be using. Reconnect and you're golden.

Won't that de-activate my fiancee's phone?

xxMACxx
Jun 23, 2010, 09:44 PM
I ordered my wife's from Apple, but I don't think it mattered. I think the key to getting it activated was having an "unactivated" sim in the phone. Apparently the person at the AT&T store tried to tie the sim cards to my phone, which caused some of the problems. I had to go back and get andunactivated sim, which allowed me to get the phone activated thru iTunes. After that, I needed another unactivated sim(and another trip to the frickin AT&T store) which allowed the AT&T rep to change the phone to the number I wanted. I also needed an unactivated regular sim to allow me to give my wife's 3GS to our daughter, replacing her 3G.

I spend a couple hours at the AT&T store and McDonalds parking lot(because they have free wifi now, and the AT&T store was useless for activating the phone).

As some have eluded to here, conflicting directions were given and AT&T was just not sure how to handle this.

A long night, with a happy ending though. :)

johnhirsch
Jun 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
So I ended up going into the AT&T store to have them give me a new microSIM (I called ahead of time and she told me it would cost $15, however we walked away with it for free). Anyways, apparently the guy was having issues getting it to activate because their computer did not have iTunes 9.2 on it, so he said to just connect when I get home and all should be good. Well... I just got home, and despite him giving me a brand new microSIM, iTunes is STILL showing the original number that the line was upgraded on. This is just so frustrating.

This is exactly the same scenario as I am in. Thinking about following the directions in iTunes about setting it up with the number it was ordered on, but worried that my wife's number would then be de-activated.

fishkorp
Jun 23, 2010, 09:50 PM
Huh, this doesn't make sense

I got 2 iPhone 4s. Both were ordered using the same upgrade (system glitch). 1 was ordered from AT&T, the other from Apple. The one from AT&T I activated using the number that the upgrade was for. That was painless and took a minute or 2. The phone from Apple is the one I wanted to do the upgrade swap on. I called AT&T to swap the info and they said I was good to go. iTunes would still not let me activate it with THAT number since it was purchased with a different number (which already had a newly activated iPhone 4). After numerous phone calls, they told me I'd have to go to AT&T tomorrow to get a new SIM. However, since I already had 1 activated iPhone 4 and supposedly the SIM in the other one was already setup for the other phone number, I figured I'd try SIM swapping myself. So I took the SIM that AT&T swapped and put it in the already-activated phone. That phone continued to work with the new number. I then put the upgrade-line SIM in the unactivated phone and activated it via iTunes. It saw it belonged to the correct number and let it activate. I then swapped SIMS again, because the new phone was for the swap number (I already installed all my stuff on the other phone for my number). My situation is probably more unique than most, since it involves 2 iPhone 4s bought using the same upgrade.

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
This is exactly the same scenario as I am in. Thinking about following the directions in iTunes about setting it up with the number it was ordered on, but worried that my wife's number would then be de-activated.

Pretty sure it will be

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 09:52 PM
I got 2 iPhone 4s. Both were ordered using the same upgrade (system glitch). 1 was ordered from AT&T, the other from Apple. The one from AT&T I activated using the number that the upgrade was for. That was painless and took a minute or 2. The phone from Apple is the one I wanted to do the upgrade swap on. I called AT&T to swap the info and they said I was good to go. iTunes would still not let me activate it with THAT number since it was purchased with a different number (which already had a newly activated iPhone 4). After numerous phone calls, they told me I'd have to go to AT&T tomorrow to get a new SIM. However, since I already had 1 activated iPhone 4 and supposedly the SIM in the other one was already setup for the other phone number, I figured I'd try SIM swapping myself. So I took the SIM that AT&T swapped and put it in the already-activated phone. That phone continued to work with the new number. I then put the upgrade-line SIM in the unactivated phone and activated it via iTunes. It saw it belonged to the correct number and let it activate. I then swapped SIMS again, because the new phone was for the swap number (I already installed all my stuff on the other phone for my number). My situation is probably more unique than most, since it involves 2 iPhone 4s bought using the same upgrade.

Sounds confusing but glad it worked. Don't think most people here have 2 iPhone 4's to play around with.

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 09:54 PM
I ordered my wife's from Apple, but I don't think it mattered. I think the key to getting it activated was having an "unactivated" sim in the phone. Apparently the person at the AT&T store tried to tie the sim cards to my phone, which caused some of the problems. I had to go back and get andunactivated sim, which allowed me to get the phone activated thru iTunes. After that, I needed another unactivated sim(and another trip to the frickin AT&T store) which allowed the AT&T rep to change the phone to the number I wanted. I also needed an unactivated regular sim to allow me to give my wife's 3GS to our daughter, replacing her 3G.

I spend a couple hours at the AT&T store and McDonalds parking lot(because they have free wifi now, and the AT&T store was useless for activating the phone).

As some have eluded to here, conflicting directions were given and AT&T was just not sure how to handle this.

A long night, with a happy ending though. :)

If I bring my iPhone 4 into AT&T and get an "unactivated" microsim (which I think is the issue), will they be able to activate the phone in the store using iTunes? I plan on going during work and so would prefer not to wait until the end of the day only to find out the "unactivated" microsim still references the incorrect upgrade #

xxMACxx
Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 PM
If I bring my iPhone 4 into AT&T and get an "unactivated" microsim (which I think is the issue), will they be able to activate the phone in the store using iTunes? I plan on going during work and so would prefer not to wait until the end of the day only to find out the "unactivated" microsim still references the incorrect upgrade #

No, and that really pissed me off. They claimed they can't do anything there. I anticipated this, and brought my wife's macbook with us, but with no wifi available it didn't help. That's why I ended up driving about a half a mile to the McDonald's to try activating it before returning home, which was about 7 miles away. Needless to say, I still had to make 1 more trip back to the store after returning home to finally resolve everything.

Maybe other stores would be able to, but mine was pretty useless.

hpnas
Jun 23, 2010, 10:05 PM
No, and that really pissed me off. They claimed they can't do anything there. I anticipated this, and brought my wife's macbook with us, but with no wifi available it didn't help. That's why I ended up driving about a half a mile to the McDonald's to try activating it before returning home, which was about 7 miles away. Needless to say, I still had to make 1 more trip back to the store after returning home to finally resolve everything.

Maybe other stores would be able to, but mine was pretty useless.

At this point AT&T has managed to turn off the service on my 3G and transfer my IMEI and ICCID numbers to my iPhone 4 but iTunes still shows the upgraded #

I seriously don't even know the best course of action at this point. I don't want to activate using the upgraded # as I know it will screw up more things

King JS3
Jun 23, 2010, 10:59 PM

Well lucky you

emaja
Jun 23, 2010, 11:09 PM

I don't understand why everyone is having to drive to pick up sim cards and what not.

Well, AT&T was not prepped on how to do this. I called them before I even ordered and they told me to activate the phone, then call them. Silly me - I listened. Today when I had the problems, I called and again the reps were clueless.

I know someone who works at my local AT&T store, so I called him and he told me that he could take care of it for me, but since the SIM on the new phone was activated I needed new SIMs and had to come into the store.

cmcclure16
Jun 23, 2010, 11:18 PM
At this point AT&T has managed to turn off the service on my 3G and transfer my IMEI and ICCID numbers to my iPhone 4 but iTunes still shows the upgraded #

I seriously don't even know the best course of action at this point. I don't want to activate using the upgraded # as I know it will screw up more things

I'm in the same boat, even though I went to the AT&T store and got a NEW microSIM tied to the number I want. So I called back and they just directed me to call Apple, so then Apple just tells me to wait until tomorrow because AT&T's system isn't up to date. It's beyond me how the number that my card is tied to and what iTunes reads it as is differing because of their system not up to date.

johnhirsch
Jun 24, 2010, 01:14 PM
Anyone had any additional luck. I went to an AT&T store this morning to try again and no go.

dave006
Jun 24, 2010, 01:32 PM
Anyone had any additional luck. I went to an AT&T store this morning to try again and no go.A few more details will help in the debug process.

Please use caution as you may indeed cause your wife's SIM to be deactivated in the process if anyone makes a mistake.

It would be best make sure that you cleary explain what has been done:

1. Purchased at Apple?
2. What steps did they try?
3. Did you at any point try the iTunes activation and does it display your wife's phone number in the activation screen?
4. Did you provide the IMEI and the ICCID and ask that they be both moved to your line ( you will need to provide them your phone number)?
5. Have you tried to power off the iPhone, wait 2 minutes and then power it on again?

What is currently displayed on the iPhone 4, does is ask you to connect to iTunes?

Have the AT&T RSC rep activate a new Mini SIM on your line and then snap it down to the Micor SIM form factor ( they should have the new SIM packaging available).

Finally, did you try powering off both your iPhone and the iPhone 4 while the rep was making changes?

The true Upgrade Swap is very easy and I did it twice yester day by calling Customer Care and in less then 3 minutes all was well on the donor phone and the line that I wanted to reuse the iPhone 4 on.

Dave

johnhirsch
Jun 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
A few answers to your questions (thanks for helping by the way)...

1. Purchased at Apple online
2. Tried changing the IMEA and ICCID over the phone before plugging into iTunes. Att claimed the switch was made. Still brought up my wife's number on the iTunes activation screen.
Then went to an ATT store last night to get a different sim. They gave me one but claimed they couldn't activate until today. Activation on my computer gave me the same iTunes activation screen with my wife's number on it. Then went to ATT this morning and tried activating using an already activated sim, a new sim, and pretty much anything else we could think of. No go.
3. Have tried powering the phone on and off. Have tried a different iTunes account.

foolio
Jun 24, 2010, 04:33 PM
A few answers to your questions (thanks for helping by the way)...

1. Purchased at Apple online
2. Tried changing the IMEA and ICCID over the phone before plugging into iTunes. Att claimed the switch was made. Still brought up my wife's number on the iTunes activation screen.
Then went to an ATT store last night to get a different sim. They gave me one but claimed they couldn't activate until today. Activation on my computer gave me the same iTunes activation screen with my wife's number on it. Then went to ATT this morning and tried activating using an already activated sim, a new sim, and pretty much anything else we could think of. No go.
3. Have tried powering the phone on and off. Have tried a different iTunes account.

Do this: get a new sim. Don't transfer IMEI/ICCID. Activate it under your wife's account. This will deactivate her current phone. But....... that iphone is now activated and doesn't need to be activated anymore.. You now have two options - trim your SIM card and just stick it in there OR, get AT&T to give you a new SIM card and tie that IMEI/ICCID to your acct. then stick it in the iphone 4... that phone is now done under your name..

Now you have to fix your wife's current phone as her SIM is now deactivated. This is pretty easy. Two ways - 1, make or buy a microSIM to miniSIM adapter and use the original SIM from the iphone 4. Or just go to the AT&T store and ask them to give your wife a new SIM for her current phone.

xxMACxx
Jun 24, 2010, 04:52 PM
Do this: get a new sim. Don't transfer IMEI/ICCID. Activate it under your wife's account. This will deactivate her current phone. But....... that iphone is now activated and doesn't need to be activated anymore.. You now have two options - trim your SIM card and just stick it in there OR, get AT&T to give you a new SIM card and tie that IMEI/ICCID to your acct. then stick it in the iphone 4... that phone is now done under your name..

Now you have to fix your wife's current phone as her SIM is now deactivated. This is pretty easy. Two ways - 1, make or buy a microSIM to miniSIM adapter and use the original SIM from the iphone 4. Or just go to the AT&T store and ask them to give your wife a new SIM for her current phone.

That sounds like what I ended up doing last night, after getting someone from AT&T that knew whatbthey were doing.