Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Anyone experience that earthquake just a few minutes ago? :eek:

Any links to info?

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It lasted about 90 seconds or less here in Queensbury. Very mild but interesting. It was a MAG 2 here. Nothing compared to the MAG 5 a few years back.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
So, a 5.5 earthquake hit Ontario and could be felt as far as Ohio and Michigan. I felt it here in Toronto, and by the way people were reacting, one would feel as if it was the second coming. Anyone else feel it too?

*hears the Californian Macrumors members snicker at us* :p

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/06/23/tor-earthquake.html

i'm just outside of Ottawa and i felt. I think the reaction is due to the fact that earthquakes are rare for us. Ottawa sits on a major fault line, but it doesn't seem that alot of ppl know that.

I was outside cleaning my truck and heard a wicked rumble, the garage door started shaking and then I was moving a bit. weird.

Reventon

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yeah, we don't get much earthquakes round here. I remember the last earthquake we had back in the 90s. But I didn't feel that one since I was on a bus at the time, going home from school. Oh, now they're saying it was a 5.0. But it didn't feel very strong in Toronto.

iSchule

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I felt it too. I was in a meeting (Downsview) with other folks teleconferencing in from Kingston and St. Catharines and they felt it too! The folks from St. Catharines left the meeting early after they were told to evacuate their building...the people from Kingston and Downsview continued on with the meeting. :mad:

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
So, a 5.5 earthquake hit Ontario and could be felt as far as Ohio and Michigan. I felt it here in Toronto, and by the way people were reacting, one would feel as if it was the second coming. Anyone else feel it too?

*hears the Californian Macrumors members snicker at us* :p

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/06/23/tor-earthquake.html

I'm a Californian -- and was here in Toronto during the earthquake. A little shaking in North York but nothing too crazy or the least bit scary. It lasted a good 30 seconds as far as I could tell.

Reventon

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
I didn't think it was too bad really when I felt it. I didn't realise it was an earthquake until I saw it on the news when I came home. I thought it was construction or something.

sprtnbsblplya

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Arlington, VA
I'm from the west coast originally, just moved to the DC Metro area.
I didn't even realize there were major fault lines anywhere near the east coast of the US.
In all of our 'quake related news back home you only hear about the offshore, Pacific quakes and anything in Cali/Mexico.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.