Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
not sure if this is the best forum to ask, but I need some advice on how to network two machines to run through one DSL modem...

right now, my wife and I are sharing my beige G3; but her home business is changing it's website (soon) and she's going to be forced to use a Winbox (I know... more plagues of locusts... errr... viruses than I've ever had any desire to deal with; but it's become a business requirement)

I was thinking that maybe there was perhaps a network hub that could be used, but as I'm not the most hardware savvy, I thought it best to ask for input...

I'm open to all suggestions

thanks

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Yes, you can purchase a relatively inexpensive wired router from such vendors as Linksys, Netgear, or D-Link. These will generally run you $30-$60, depending on options, etc., but are fairly affordable.

Hook your router to your DSL modem and set the router up to connect via PPPoE, and then distribute IP addresses via DHCP to your home network.

It doesn't sound like you need a wireless option, but you can get a wireless/wired router that does both wireless connectivity as well as wired for a little more money, so that you can plan for the future.

As with any router, make sure that you change the default login and password, and set up all necessary security features. There are many threads in the forum about those settings, and probably just as many comparing brands of routers.

But in the end, you should have a router of some kind to share your DSL connection effectively.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
If the modem is currently connected to your G3, then you have two options I think. Either you get a router (wired or wireless) which you can set up using a website and then either connect your computers to it via ethernet or over 802.11b/g or both. Apple's AirPort Extreme base station would do this, although there are plenty of cheaper PC alternatives that work just as well (check Mac compatability though).

The second, less convenient option, would be to continue with your existing setup but turn on internet sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences (OS X). Select to share over whatever network setup you'll have - either ethernet or AirPort, depending on what you've got. If the PC is running Windows XP you should have no problems with this because I've got sharing enabled. The downside to this method is that the computer connected to the modem would have to be on whenever you wanted to use the internet on the other computer but this is what I currently have at home (due to a USB ADSL modem - this is connected to my desktop PC and it is sharing it over wireless to my PowerBook. I'm hoping to get a router at some point in the future when funds allow!)

Not sure if you're using OS X or not - that would be easier for Mac/Windows co-existence.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I thought about suggesting the Internet Sharing option, but I hear more issues with it than feel-good stories, but it sounds like it is working for you.

Do you notice any performance issues with it? I would think that for a business, a router would be the way to go, but would be interested in hearing how well your setup performs when both devices are connected to and using the internet.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
emw said:
I thought about suggesting the Internet Sharing option, but I hear more issues with it than feel-good stories, but it sounds like it is working for you.

Do you notice any performance issues with it? I would think that for a business, a router would be the way to go, but would be interested in hearing how well your setup performs when both devices are connected to and using the internet.
Mine is just a home setup and it is the Windows machine which is sharing the connection. This is because it makes sense to have the desktop machine connected, giving me the freedom to enjoy wireless internet on my PowerBook.

I've found that it works very well. Obviously, the internet would be sharing resource in both methods (i.e. both computers downloading big files would have to share the bandwidth) but I have failed to have any significant problems with my method. I've heard there can be some problems with things like iChat video using internet sharing but I haven't encountered any.

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP fixed an issue I originally had, whereby Windows would stop sharing the internet whenever you switched users, requiring manually reconnecting. Occassionally, for reasons why I don't know, Windows stops sharing even now but I think that is something to do with the age it seems to take Windows to connect to my network. (I have an AirPort Express, which I only use as a bridge point for my home network and obviously AirTunes).

As I said, the only downside to the internet sharing is that my Dell has to be switched on for my PB to get internet but that's not a major deal as our computer tends to be on and used anyway. Eventually though I do want to get a cheap router that will enable me to plug my internet into the AirPort Express station but the question is all about cost. I've spent a lot on the setup already (AirPort Express + AirPort Extreme card + 802.11g Belkin card for Dell) and what I've got works well at the moment.

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
Thanks for the input

My G3 is only running 9.2 so it sounds like I may be better off getting an inexpensive router, and going from there

I hope to have the new (to us) machine and router budgeted and purchased within the next month, so once it's done I'll let you know how it all went...

again, my thanks! :D

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
just an update

well, I bought my wife a windows machine and it's already doing very well on the website she needs for her business...

as for the networking issue, a buddy let me check out a D-Link router and I'm going to see if I can get things set up... wish me luck...it's already giving issues...

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
boz2004 said:
well, I bought my wife a windows machine and it's already doing very well on the website she needs for her business...

as for the networking issue, a buddy let me check out a D-Link router and I'm going to see if I can get things set up... wish me luck...it's already giving issues...

Let us know what we can do to help.

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
emw said:
Let us know what we can do to help.

Many thanks...

I haven't had time to sit down with it, yet... but I'm hoping to sometime this weekend... for whatever reason, the router didn't seem to recognize that it had an active DSL link when my buddy and I sat down last Saturday...

one thought is the router may be bad - but I'm pretty sure there are other possibilities I've not thougth of... I figure I'll have to do some detective work, so to speak...

the router's mroe for my peace of mind, really...what can I say, I prefer my mac :p

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
boz2004 said:
I haven't had time to sit down with it, yet... but I'm hoping to sometime this weekend... for whatever reason, the router didn't seem to recognize that it had an active DSL link when my buddy and I sat down last Saturday...

Just make sure that PPPoE is selected as your connection type, as that's what it will use to connect to your DSL service. Also (and no offense intended) make sure that your modem is connected to the WAN port on the router.

Good luck!

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
emw said:
Just make sure that PPPoE is selected as your connection type, as that's what it will use to connect to your DSL service. Also (and no offense intended) make sure that your modem is connected to the WAN port on the router.

Good luck!

PPPoE? can-do... I can't recall if my buddy checked that or not... definitely something to look at

and no offense was taken - I've found it's the little details that can cause issues... and are the most often over-looked ;)

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
just an update

thanks again for the networking advice, unfortunately I couldn't get things to work out... my buddy thought that perhaps the router was bad after all... he said he'd had trouble with it, but assumed it was something else... :rolleyes: anywho... I'll probably try again once I get hold of another router - but, with the holi-craze, it's no rush...

hey, anyone have a preferred brand of router? The one I was trying to use was a D-Link...

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
boz2004 said:
my buddy thought that perhaps the router was bad after all... The one I was trying to use was a D-Link...

Well, it was the router apparently :rolleyes:

I plugged in a Linksys and was going as soon as I powered the mchines back up ... so I can now go back to using my Mac for the web, again :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
boz2004 said:
Well, it was the router apparently :rolleyes:

I plugged in a Linksys and was going as soon as I powered the mchines back up ... so I can now go back to using my Mac for the web, again :D

Glad to hear it. I missed your last update somehow - I would have recommended the Linksys brand, so glad to see it's working for you.

As for your buddy ("he said he'd had trouble with it, but assumed it was something else...") - I love it when people do this. My in-laws gave us the number of a contractor once, with whom we subsequently had some problems. They later told us they had problems with him too, but thought maybe we'd have a better experience. :rolleyes:

boz2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
emw said:
My in-laws gave us the number of a contractor once, with whom we subsequently had some problems. They later told us they had problems with him too, but thought maybe we'd have a better experience. :rolleyes:

ROTFL

I chalk it up to The Human Condition (there's a lot ya can overlook when ya do that). I figure most people believe the worst of themselves until someone verifies the truth of things...

it's like when you take a sip or bite of something truly hideous and say: "Ugh! taste this..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.