PDA

View Full Version : Fake ipod socks - how do I tell?

Jamie0003
Jun 23, 2010, 02:34 PM
I have two apple ipod socks, both were bought off Ebay and i'm not sure whether either of them are genuine or not... I have no idea how to tell because on the apple website the apple logo is a different orientation and the top of the sock is a different colour to mine, however it could be just because the socks got a design change. Anyone got any info on this?

justaregularjoe
Jun 23, 2010, 02:44 PM
Curious: Why do you care? Are you trying to sell them at full price after buying them off of eBay?

Jamie0003
Jun 23, 2010, 02:47 PM
Curious: Why do you care? Are you trying to sell them at full price after buying them off of eBay?

No, I want one but didn't want to pay full price (20 is a ripoff...)

liamkp
Jun 23, 2010, 02:52 PM
Why dont you just buy them generic?

Consultant
Jun 23, 2010, 02:58 PM
Yeah sure, Apple changed its logo just for this product.

Actually, apple logo in a different orientation = telltale fake
However, fake can still have apple logo in the same orientation.

Jamie0003
Jun 23, 2010, 02:59 PM
apple logo is a different orientation = telltale fake

But has the sock design been changed like this or has it always been like that?

liamkp
Jun 23, 2010, 03:02 PM
Why is it a big deal?

Jamie0003
Jun 23, 2010, 03:03 PM
Why is it a big deal?

It's not really, even if they are fake I might as well use them, I saved quite a bit of cash... I'm just curious if either sock is legit. Also the sock on the left the iphone doesn't fit in at all, it sticks out the top quite a lot.

liamkp
Jun 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
It's not really, even if they are fake I might as well use them, I saved quite a bit of cash... I'm just curious if either sock is legit. Also the sock on the left the iphone doesn't fit in at all, it sticks out the top quite a lot.

Then its probably not legit.

flyfish29
Jun 23, 2010, 03:11 PM
These days with products being knocked off let and right and even looking legit, all that matters is will the product perform like it is intended. I would think if the sock fits then you are fine- if it doesn't then you are not.

As far as knock-offs go- there are companies who sometimes can't even tell if the product is legit or not- even down the the construction and tags. There are counterfeiters who follow executives into manufacturing plants and ask the plant to produce an identical product....the thing is they often request inferior materials, dont' have to pay for dies to be cut and other set up fees, and end up selling the product for way cheaper....of course they don't usually perform the same way either and it's illegal.

liamkp
Jun 23, 2010, 03:13 PM
No offense, but why do you want the socks anyway?

Jamie0003
Jun 23, 2010, 03:17 PM

I hate iphone cases and it provides a little extra protection when in my pocket.

liamkp
Jun 23, 2010, 03:19 PM
I hate iphone cases and it provides a little extra protection when in my pocket.

I guess.

flyfish29
Jun 23, 2010, 03:30 PM

I would actually like to throw mine in a sock when I toss my iPod Touch into my gym bag- it is in a hard shell case, but the screen is not as protected from sliding against my gym locker lock.

liamkp
Jun 23, 2010, 03:31 PM
I would actually like to throw mine in a sock when I toss my iPod Touch into my gym bag- it is in a hard shell case, but the screen is not as protected from sliding against my gym locker lock.

Even so it could slip out, and if i were to get something like that i would get a velcro or magnet or zipper to close it.