PDA

View Full Version : Sony's New Wireless TV Tablet: Is Apple Building One Of The...

MacBytes
Oct 25, 2004, 10:04 AM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Sony\'s New Wireless TV Tablet: Is Apple Building One Of These? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041025110403)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

TwitchOSX
Oct 25, 2004, 10:40 AM
Was watching Nascar.. and had it turned on in my room and in the front room. But.. I had to go make food.. so it sucked when I was in the kitchen and there was no TV available. Would have been nice to carry a cool little tablet with me and keep watching tv.

Go to the bathroom... bring the tv..

Take a shower, bring the tv in a water-tight skin

gettin it on with an ugly and/or fat girl?... hide the tv somewhere where she cant see it..

The posibilities are endless!

Sharewaredemon
Oct 25, 2004, 11:12 AM
What is it with companies naming their products numbers
I for the life of my cannot, (mostly because I don't want to) remember product names which are number letter combinations. But it's damn easy to remember iPod, iMac, Powermac,

Apple, makes it simple to remember.

"-Yeah i have the new xls4350si it's the brand newharddrive mp3 player.

-The WHAT?"

or

"-Yeah I have the new iPod.
-Oh cool!"

tpatricks
Oct 25, 2004, 11:47 AM
A local store sponsored a "Sony Expo" about 3 years ago which featured the Airboard, precursor to the easy-to-pronounce and remember LF-X1 (it must be a Japanese thing; all Sony's products are like that).

The Airboard at the time was about the size of a 17" PowerBook; around twice as thick. At the time, the base station and tablet only handled 802.11b, but still did video inputs, audio inputs, ethernet, web browsing, and email, and, if my memory is correct, was about $2,000 or so. It never sold in the US. The LCD screen was crummy compared to today's Apple screens.

This new one seems half the size, 802.11 a/b/g, and is substantially less money.

I'd like to see Apple build and sell something like this; even two versions would be cool. Same size as small iBook, and a smaller one. The main issues for me would be; 1) must run OS X (would require a hard drive), and 2) should Home directory sync with desktop/laptop Mac.

Keyboard? If the unit could "flip" the screen up and reveal a real keyboard inside, instead of the "on screen" keyboard like the Sony, that'd be cool.

Imagine something like that with iChat AV. Whew! I'd buy one.

srobert
Oct 25, 2004, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see Apple build and sell something like this; even two versions would be cool. Same size as small iBook, and a smaller one. The main issues for me would be; 1) must run OS X (would require a hard drive), and 2) should Home directory sync with desktop/laptop Mac.

Keyboard? If the unit could "flip" the screen up and reveal a real keyboard inside, instead of the "on screen" keyboard like the Sony, that'd be cool.

Sounds like you want an iBook with a TV Tuner Card added and without the combo drive. :D

mfeldman
Oct 25, 2004, 01:44 PM
Does someone build something like that? I'd think that an Airport Express type of wireless base station would be better suited. The iBook's not a tablet device, but I'd rather have an iBook or Powerbook doing service as a remote TV screen getting signals from a base station than spend $1,500 on another mis-named Sony product. Somebody's got to be working on something like this, no?

Qunchuy
Oct 25, 2004, 03:00 PM
I'd really like to have a QuickTime streaming server with AV inputs wired into my home entertainment system, so I could use my wirelessly-networked iBook to view things remotely. That's already possible, if a bit pricey for the single function. Make it an inexpensive dedicated device and add a "back channel" to talk to an IR controller and I'd call it insanely great.

Does anyone else think an Apple/TiVo partnership would be a good idea? I think the TiVo hardware might be a bit underpowered for H.264 multicasting, but it's fun to think about.

nagromme
Oct 25, 2004, 08:07 PM
CardBus (PCMCIA) TV tuners have been announced, but last I checked all were vapor. Any out there yet? I'd use one!

sockeatingdryer
Oct 25, 2004, 08:36 PM
White front, metal backing?

Looks like someone borrowed from the iPod design a little... but without the simplicity.

That said, if it weren't a Windows thing and Apple doesn't put one out soon, I'd get it.