PDA

View Full Version : What makes Apple's Power Mac G5 processor so hot

MacBytes
Oct 25, 2004, 10:18 AM
Category: PowerPC
Link: What makes Apple\'s Power Mac G5 processor so hot (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041025111839)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

combatcolin
Oct 25, 2004, 11:33 AM
Isn't it fun when you only understand half of it? :p

settledown
Oct 25, 2004, 12:27 PM
anyone care to provide the cliff's notes version of this??

even if it is only to say, "cuz' there is so much goin' on in 'ere"

Sharewaredemon
Oct 25, 2004, 01:29 PM
anyone care to provide the cliff's notes version of this??

even if it is only to say, "cuz' there is so much goin' on in 'ere"

Haha i'm just as lost as you guys.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 25, 2004, 01:47 PM
Here's my attempt:

Due to the laws of physics (and several other sciences), as processor manufacturing technology shrinks, more energy escapes the processor as "leakage current" and is wasted. Technologies like SOI (Silicon-on-Insulator) and SSOI (Strained Silicon-on-Insulator) help to keep the energy flowing instead of getting stuck somewhere and escaping. It follows that if more energy escapes instead of doing useful work, more energy will be consumed to compensate.

cluthz
Oct 25, 2004, 01:52 PM
Here's my attempt:

Due to the laws of physics (and several other sciences), as processor manufacturing technology shrinks, more energy escapes the processor as "leakage current" and is wasted. Technologies like SOI (Silicon-on-Insulator) and SSOI (Strained Silicon-on-Insulator) help to keep the energy flowing instead of getting stuck somewhere and escaping. It follows that if more energy escapes instead of doing useful work, more energy will be consumed to compensate.

Thanks for the info wiz :D

I looked at the doc, but decided that i don't have that time to read a doc that I probably didn't understand and did contain info that I dont have any use use for.. :p

solvs
Oct 25, 2004, 09:22 PM
And I thought I was smart because I actually understand most of Ars Technica. Now I feel stupid again. Pretty much all I got was, "processor hot!"

wdlove
Oct 26, 2004, 09:22 AM
And I thought I was smart because I actually understand most of Ars Technica. Now I feel stupid again. Pretty much all I got was, "processor hot!"

That seems to be a PhD. in duh on the subject of the G5 "processor being hot". When molecules move rapidly in rubbing electrons then heat is produced. So now in our 2.5 model, Apple has a fix with the "water cooling".