Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mpjohnny5

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
The commuter looks awesome can't ask for it! It kept my 3GS mint so I'll be sure to order this for my i4

itoddm

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
North Carolina
I have a commuter tl for my iphone 3g and REALLY like it. The one I bought came with the silicone cover and 3 sturdy plastic frames that clip around it (yellow, blue and black). One thing I really like about the otterboxes is that they are flaps to cover the stereo plug and docking plug. Keeps those holes clean and safe. Also the plastic case is colored throughout so if you do scratch the case, a different color doesn't shine through like on other cases I have bought. Hopefully otter will offer some colors soon too.

I know some of their cases are huge but those are built for people that are rough or need that extra protection or waterproof protection.

maus

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Is OtterBox the brand to go with for drop protection? That's the impression I've gotten, but is that true for all their cases or just the heavy duty ones?

Also, have you guys seen the shipping rates to Mexico? 500% duty/taxes. :eek:

Edit: Do the cases cover the speakers at the bottom?

Music8Guyz

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Midwest
Personal Experience

Is OtterBox the brand to go with for drop protection? That's the impression I've gotten, but is that true for all their cases or just the heavy duty ones?

Also, have you guys seen the shipping rates to Mexico? 500% duty/taxes. :eek:

Edit: Do the cases cover the speakers at the bottom?

The previous Defender case had a covering for the speakers holes so that they were protected from dust, but could still function. I can't speak for the other models as far as a dust covering, but the rest of them would certainly have an opening for speakers.

My experience with Otterbox cases has been pretty good. I work as a Pro Audio installation technician, and regularly work on construction sites. As I regularly move around heavy boxes and equipment at both finished and new construction sites, I wanted something durable and dust resistant.

The defender case for my 3G has more than adequately performed. While it is not 100% dustproof, if you close the silicone plugs, a large majority of dust remains out of the case. I regularly crawl around under stages and booths covered in dust, and my phone case has been covered in dust with my phone no worse for the wear as long as it has been properly close up.

I have dropped it, and had multiple boxes and pieces of equipment pressed into my pocket with the phone in it (in the case) and while it has been inside the otterbox, no harm has come to it. (Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the phone when I had it taken out of the case.)

The new ones for the iPhone 4 look slimmer. I had a hard time getting the older version out of my pockets since the silicon cover had some definite resistance against my pocket. Can't tell you how many calls I missed that way.

That's my experience with the "heavy duty" one. The commuter doesn't have the dust protection, or dedicated screen protector built-in (though they give you one for the phone itself I believe), and the last model I know little to nothing about. It's silicone only... not sure of the thickness.

Hope this helps.

Mike

maus

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
The previous Defender case had a covering for the speakers holes so that they were protected from dust, but could still function. I can't speak for the other models as far as a dust covering, but the rest of them would certainly have an opening for speakers.

My experience with Otterbox cases has been pretty good. I work as a Pro Audio installation technician, and regularly work on construction sites. As I regularly move around heavy boxes and equipment at both finished and new construction sites, I wanted something durable and dust resistant.

The defender case for my 3G has more than adequately performed. While it is not 100% dustproof, if you close the silicone plugs, a large majority of dust remains out of the case. I regularly crawl around under stages and booths covered in dust, and my phone case has been covered in dust with my phone no worse for the wear as long as it has been properly close up.

I have dropped it, and had multiple boxes and pieces of equipment pressed into my pocket with the phone in it (in the case) and while it has been inside the otterbox, no harm has come to it. (Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the phone when I had it taken out of the case.)

The new ones for the iPhone 4 look slimmer. I had a hard time getting the older version out of my pockets since the silicon cover had some definite resistance against my pocket. Can't tell you how many calls I missed that way.

That's my experience with the "heavy duty" one. The commuter doesn't have the dust protection, or dedicated screen protector built-in (though they give you one for the phone itself I believe), and the last model I know little to nothing about. It's silicone only... not sure of the thickness.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Thanks for the very thoughtful response, Mike. :) I think the Defender might be a bit overkill for me, since I'll just be tossing it in my purse. I do tend to be a bit careless with my phones, though, so I'm quite interested in how well a potential case will perform in the case of accidental drops onto concrete pavement. :)

And it's good to know that the cases have some opening for the speakers because I was worried I wouldn't be able to use the speakerphone. All in all, the Commuter is looking good. :)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Since I'm forcing myself to wait for my iPhone until the Defender is released, I'm waiting with bated anticipation.
The waiting also decreases the likelihood that FedEx employees will steal my iPhone. :eek:

jmike314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Moore, OK
Looks like the OtterBox site has gone all persnickity.
I received an email about their iP4 cases and all of a sudden...no more OtterBox website.

'Tis odd.

Mpjohnny5

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Ya same here...What was that email saying that the cases are available for order or that there just working on them. Thought we already knew that lol

jmike314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Moore, OK
Per the OtterBox site regarding the current unavailability of their cases:

Great design takes TIME.

Just like you, we’d love for our cases to be available right when a device is, however we need the device in hand to analyze and design to the exact specifications. We conduct extensive research and testing to ensure we make a precision-fit case for each device. In our design process, we make certain nothing is missed and the correct approach is implemented. We need to work directly with the device in order to deliver OtterBox quality and that’s why our cases appear on the shelves a month or two later. Great design takes time and we appreciate your patience!

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
How is the screen protector on the otterbox defender? U dont have to install it like the Zagg IS right? Does it mess up the functionality or look of the the touch screen?

ajsnow6234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Wow...I have always hated the otterbox...mainly because of how bulky it is. I don't even really care for cases in general, I have always liked the simplistic, no case look. However, I really do like the way that commuter looks. I hope to see it in a retail store when it comes out...wouldn't buy something like that without seeing it first.

itoddm

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
North Carolina
I've loved the otterbox design. One thing that I am starting to read on other threads is that cases that cover the back are causing problems. When you use the flash, the thickness on the back is causing the flash to not "light" up the subject correctly. Hopefully Otterbox (and all other case companies) will start to take this into consideration.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Man, thread title got my hopes up. I thought they were available for order now!! I signed up previously to be notified when available and hope they are soon.

I had the Defender on my 3G and 3GS. My biggest complaint was the stupid window for the Apple logo. I can't see their being a big market for those who want heavy duty protection AND are still worried about logo flashing the gold Apple logo.

Looking forward to the next Otterbox!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.