PDA

View Full Version : Charging iPod over USB 2.0 PCMCIA card

Rogier
Oct 25, 2004, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,

I received my 4G iPod yesterday. Unfortunately I am still using a HP laptop with only USB 1.1 and firewire 4-pin connections. Recently I purchased a PCMCIA card with 2 USB 2.0 ports.
Since I have had the iPod charging in the dock the ipod keeps sending messages that the battery is low despite the fact that the battery icon indicates its charging.

I've had this problem in both "disk use" mode and normal mode. Could it be that the power being supplied by the PCMCIA card is not sufficient to properly power and charge the ipod?

Charging through the powerbrick works fine btw.

Thanks!

gallagb
Oct 25, 2004, 10:51 AM
but as i recall- the ipod won't charge over a USB port-
-
i'm guessing that is b/c they are not powered?
hense they recommend you have a firewire port- (that and firewire is so much faster to transfer data)

Makosuke
Oct 25, 2004, 04:36 PM
I've had this problem in both "disk use" mode and normal mode. Could it be that the power being supplied by the PCMCIA card is not sufficient to properly power and charge the ipod?
Well, since Apple's iPod documentation specifically mentions a "high power" USB2.0 port for charging, and also specifically notes that the battery will charge more slowly if the iPod is doing anything while charging, I'd guess that is correct.

A test would be to try and let the thing charge (only) with your PC card, and see if that works--if so, must just not supply enough power to do both.

(Oh, and gallagb--according to Apple the iPod can indeed charge over a USB port, if it provides enough power anyway. FireWire ports have more power available, but USB ports do carry power.)