Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Here is what it said:

On future versions of the new flat-panel iMacs, I would like to see the USB and firewire ports as well the power switch on the front of the machine, rather than the back, where they are easier to reach.

I would also like to see 1 additional USB port as well as 1 additional firewire port on the iMac. And please, please upgrade to USB 2.0 and Firewire 2.0. Please!

A 19-inch flat-panel iMac would be well appreciated, too! :D

Thanks Apple for doing a great job! ;)

What do you think?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I think the 19" iMac is a bit much. Other than that... just fine! I sent a similar message to them today about the new PowerMacs.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
ah c'mon 19 inch?
first there was "just" 15 people started whining ahhh gimme 17 gimme 17.... now there is "just" 17
and people want 19...Where does it end?
And ports on the front side look like crap.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
I would prefer at least one firewire port on the front.... it's easier for you to hook up your camera to it instead of having to move so you can access the back

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I swear everyone who retorts "ports on the front look like crap" are "plug and stay" users (don't move their FW devices much/at all) that partially defeat the greatness of FW (hot swapping and mobility). While people who want a port on the front are "plug and play" users who actually take advantage of FW portability or have FW cameras.

One damn port in the front isn't gonna kill anyone and might actually come in handy... ;)

Lethal

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
IMHO, ports on the front of the machine could make it look even prettier than it already is, if they are carefully designed. They could be made with covers on them to look like buttons rather than ports. They could even be made colorful and all, too. ;)

The above will be good for you, but only if you care about looks upidstay. :mad:

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
As for the 19" iMac idea, personally I'd like a system that I can afford and be able watch DVD-movies and play games on a BIG SCREEN. That doesn't sound unreasonable now does it? :rolleyes:

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
If Apple could innovate completely new computers, don't you think they'd be able to come up with a way of making the ports on the front look non-obtrusive? They could add a small access hatch on the front or something, sort of like the concept of the original iMac's ports cover (minus the wires hole, of course!) In there, you could have the headphone minijack, 1 USB and 1 FireWire port.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(iwantanewmac) ah c'mon 19 inch?
first there was "just" 15 people started whining ahhh gimme 17 gimme 17.... now there is "just" 17

Think of it this way. It's the same idea people get whenever a bigger iPod comes out. :p

Shrek, if you want a bigger monitor, the iMac is NOT going to be the answer (at least for a LONG while). If you can't live with the current 17 inch and you are short on money get an 867MHz PowerMac and a custom display. That's what the PMs are for: Expandability and lots of options. :rolleyes:

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by King Cobra
Shrek, if you want a bigger monitor, the iMac is NOT going to be the answer (at least for a LONG while). If you can't live with the current 17 inch and you are short on money get an 867MHz PowerMac and a custom display. That's what the PMs are for: Expandability and lots of options. :rolleyes:

Um, it's too bad that I'd like something that has desktop power, but is still light enough and small enough that I can lug it over to a friends house or take it with me on vacation every once in a while, etc.

I've already looked at the TiBooks, but they are too expensive and the screen is not big enough for me. :rolleyes:

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
a 19" iMac would look like a billboard sticking out of an orange. the 17" is ugly enough. as for the new PowerMacs, Barf! i can't even believe they released such an eyesore. and with so little under the hood. this fake DDR crap has got to go. it is clearly a marketing strategy rather than a technology improvement. what is with the garage door on the front? and the Camaro-style air holes? it is just so butt. it looks to me like they tried to make it look mean. ya know, Jaguar, rarrgh! but it came out looking like a retarded cat. if those holes in the front were a way to conceal a few USB and FW ports i'd think differently about them. i won't be buying another Mac until we see a DDR bus and a new chip 2ghz+. that's pretty much what i said in my letter to Apple today.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
tjwett-

just curious if you've seen the 17" imac in person

i know that for myself, i saw the poster (at mwny) and it didn't impress me much. then i saw it in person inside and i like it alot.

of course, as with everything, to each their own

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by tjwett
a 19" iMac would look like a billboard sticking out of an orange. the 17" is ugly enough. as for the new PowerMacs, Barf! i can't even believe they released such an eyesore. and with so little under the hood. this fake DDR crap has got to go. it is clearly a marketing strategy rather than a technology improvement. what is with the garage door on the front? and the Camaro-style air holes? it is just so butt. it looks to me like they tried to make it look mean. ya know, Jaguar, rarrgh! but it came out looking like a retarded cat. if those holes in the front were a way to conceal a few USB and FW ports i'd think differently about them. i won't be buying another Mac until we see a DDR bus and a new chip 2ghz+. that's pretty much what i said in my letter to Apple today.

There we go with the looks thing again. Ok, maybe looks are important to some people, but they don't have to be perfect, right? I mean think about it. Wouldn't you want a computer that can do more and is more convenient to use despite it's appearance. And it's not like PC's look any cooler. Geez. . .

Just food for thought. ;)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
in order to put the ports on the front on the iMac, maybe Apple could steal an idea from the automotive industry. I think we have all seen cars where the tunk (i mean, trunk) key slot in covered by a rotating brand emblem, or something. Imagine the chrome Apple logo rotating aside (or sliding up, or out, or. . .) to reveal a port or two for quick access. Hey, wait, that is a great idea- I call patent.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
tjwett-

just curious if you've seen the 17" imac in person

i know that for myself, i saw the poster (at mwny) and it didn't impress me much. then i saw it in person inside and i like it alot.

of course, as with everything, to each their own

well, i stopped by the SoHo store yesterday(when you get back in town do yourself a favor and checx it out.very nice.) to see if they had the new Camaros in but no luck. i did see the 17"er for the second time in person but i couldn't get near one because of the crowd. but you're right it definitely looks better than the picture. i'll have to get a closer look. it just seems a litte "Pam Anderson", ya know top-heavy;) hell, maybe it's not so bad after all. the 17" iMac has a damn nice rack! (o)(o)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by tjwett

You know I rarely get involved in any sort of "flaming" however, you're a f***ing idiot.

The quicksilver or whatever it was called was gorgeous, but a design that's almost identical but with some venting (which is far nicer looking than the venting on any other computer) is butt ugly.

Garage door on the front? Show me one other computer ever that had two optical drives on the front that looked that nice? Oh, and the old computer you thought looked nice, it looks the same, but with only one drive door.

Like I said, you're an idiot.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by King Cobra
>(iwantanewmac) ah c'mon 19 inch?

Think of it this way. It's the same idea people get whenever a bigger iPod comes out. :p

How about an iPod with a 19 inch screen and an iMac with a 3 inch screen and 40 GB hard drive? :D

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Shrek
As for the 19" iMac idea, personally I'd like a system that I can afford and be able watch DVD-movies and play games on a BIG SCREEN. That doesn't sound unreasonable now does it? :rolleyes:

It's almost the same as that a peecee guy says..you can't play games on a mac well.
solution------>buy a console.

solution for you-------->buy a dvd player (very cheap therse days) and a BIG screen. :)
there ya go. And ow yes put it in front of your favoite chair.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(bousozoku) How about an iPod with a 19 inch screen and an iMac with a 3 inch screen and 40 GB hard drive?

Attachments

• hatespammers.gif
    hatespammers.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 139

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by mcrain

You know I rarely get involved in any sort of "flaming" however, you're a f***ing idiot.

The quicksilver or whatever it was called was gorgeous, but a design that's almost identical but with some venting (which is far nicer looking than the venting on any other computer) is butt ugly.

Garage door on the front? Show me one other computer ever that had two optical drives on the front that looked that nice? Oh, and the old computer you thought looked nice, it looks the same, but with only one drive door.

Like I said, you're an idiot.

wow! did you get fired today or something? the world is full of opinions. i'm sorry that mine got your briefs in such a situation. calling strangers idiots because their opinion differs from yours is, well, idiotic. lighten up dude. it's just a computer.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
cobrass-

when you read each post, it helps you see when people learn from other posts or whatever. so, i suggest you read tj's post where he specifically says that they saw it in the apple store, from afar, and agree that it looks much better ni person, and wants to see it closer, and it has a nice rack, etc etc

at least talk about his dislike for the new pmacs, which he hasn't revised his stance on. though i don't know of a ton of people who disagree with him, he just happened to put it very bluntly

tj- they'er definitely better in person. how do you feel about widescreen in general? i think my like for widescreen (given film background) made me like em more...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
jello:

I deleted the flame part of the post.

The best way to look at an Apple product: Not off the damn internet, but as a reflection of light given off that enters your eyes directly. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.