Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Hey guys just got my new iPhone 4 today. I tried both pandora and slacker radio. I turned one on and hit the home button. I then placed a call and after the phone call was over I assumed that the music would continue playing but to my surprise neither application started playing music... What's the deal? :(

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
My guess is that both of them honor the call by initiating a pause, similar to when you pull out headphones, or remove AC power. Those acts don't resume once headphones are plugged in or AC power restored, you have to manually unpause. That's just a hunch on my part, but would be my first guess.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Thanks for your reply! Anyone else with any suggestions? Tia.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
YouTube doesn't resume either. I can't remember if Safari streams and iTunes streams do. If they were able to do it Pandora sure would, so I doubt the APIs are available. Although, as I mentioned, even Apple doesn't use them much outside of the iPod.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
man i am not to happy about this... using backgrounder, it worked perfectly.. makes no sense on why id have to resume playback...

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Have you tried putting music on then RECEIVING a phone call?

My guess is that by receiving a phone call it will work as you expect. But because you are initiating a phone call you're effectively telling the phone to stop the music since only one sound source can be active at once so it's turning the music off.

By receiving a phone call you're agreeing to answer the call and it may pause it and then continue when the call is over.

But that may not work either (again, worth trying to see) because my understanding of the multi-tasking system for audio is that the program will be terminated if audio is not sent to the sound system continually. If there's a delay of a certain number of seconds the app is terminated. Which may be what's happening here. A long phone call may terminate the app and it won't start playing once the call is over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.