PDA

View Full Version : Happy Convert Story - If only all switchers were this happy

Makosuke
Oct 25, 2004, 04:51 PM
This isn't the first time I've made a Mac convert of somebody, but it's certainly the most satisfied switch I've been part of, so I thought I'd share:

Co-Worker of mine was looking at laptops. Longtime Wintel semi-power-user, interested in doing fairly heavy scientific work with his computer, and highly skeptical of Macs in general.

Still, in researching laptops he had to admit that Apple's offerings looked pretty competitive (not to mention sexier than most alternatives), so me being both the resident tech guru and a huge Mac fan, he came to ask for advice. I tried to give him an honest answer and admitted that if he was really entirely comfortable with a Windows machine he'd probably be happier buying one, but strongly suggested a PowerBook (the scientific package he wanted fortunately has an OSX-compatible version, so he was ok there).

Fast forward a couple months, and he came up with the cash, and decided to go against his own strong reservations and buy a 15" PB on my advice (plus an iPod). Two weeks and a few new-Mac-user questions later (How do install software? Just drag it to the Apps folder? You're kidding!), and he's so happy it's amazing.

This guy, who less than a month ago was eyeing the Mac on my desk suspiciously and wondering if those funky computers could really do what he wanted, has now repeatedly said things like "Why on earth does anybody still use windows? What's wrong with people?" Amazing, satisfying, and he's likely to convert a friend or two while he's at it (already a second co-worker has taken interest in a Mac for his next computer).

Just sharing the warm feeling of what it's like to see a longtime computer user actually enjoying using a computer for the first time.

ijimk
Oct 25, 2004, 05:24 PM
Good to hear we have yet another to see the true all mighty power of the APPLE!!!! (cheesy chrous music plays now) :D

kiwi-in-uk
Oct 25, 2004, 05:39 PM
This isn't the first time I've made a Mac convert of somebody, but it's certainly the most satisfied switch I've been part of, so I thought I'd share:

Co-Worker of mine was looking at laptops. Longtime Wintel semi-power-user ...

... Two weeks and a few new-Mac-user questions later (How do install software? Just drag it to the Apps folder? You're kidding!), and he's so happy it's amazing.

This guy, who less than a month ago was eyeing the Mac on my desk suspiciously and wondering if those funky computers could really do what he wanted, has now repeatedly said things like "Why on earth does anybody still use windows? What's wrong with people?" Amazing, satisfying, and he's likely to convert a friend or two while he's at it (already a second co-worker has taken interest in a Mac for his next computer).

Just sharing the warm feeling of what it's like to see a longtime computer user actually enjoying using a computer for the first time.

This reflects my own experience - 20 years of using MS DOS and every version of Windows. Now, six months of using a Mac, and my skeptical colleagues are taking a greater interest as I prove Office compatibility and their new high-end Windows machines fall over on a weekly basis.

HiRez
Oct 25, 2004, 06:08 PM
My friend was a lifetime PC user, and his work still uses PCs almost exclusively except two in the creative department (one for FCP, one for Avid, natch). He and his wife bought a lowly eMac for their kids to use after I talked them into it (it took YEARS). Soooo, how do the kids like the machine six months later? Well, it turns out they never get to use it because the adults have now started using the eMac for everything: surfing, mail, Office-type stuff, contact management, videoconferencing with iChatAV, iTunes & iTMS, and my buddy is now even doing Final Cut Express editing on it (with an external drive) and creating DVDs! So it won't be long before they buy a G5 for him and probably a separate iMac for her. Their two PCs at home now gather dust. Now he's trying to get his workplace to buy a few Macs the next time they upgrade. So the purchase of an innocent little eMac could turn into a whole load of Macs sold. My friend was just blown away by how easy everything was with the Mac, especially hardware integration, like USB devices and getting FireWire video in, and how incredibly simple it is to install applications, as the previous poster mentioned. He couldn't believe that you could actually just plug something in and have it work (imagine that, real plug and play :rolleyes: ). The sad thing is, he knew all this because I've been telling him for years, and he's watched me work on my PowerBook for years, but I guess you just have to experience it first-hand to believe it. The bad news is I've been unable to get my roommate to switch. She even uses Macs at work and hates them. I find all her arguments as to why completely illogical, but she won't listen. Oh well, you can't get them all. I did get her to start using iTunes on her PC, so there is a glimmer of hope.

Solafaa
Oct 25, 2004, 06:16 PM
This happend to me to .

I used to have a 15" PB and loved it, my friend who uses a laptop at work and one at home was looking to replace his home laptop since it was 3 years old. He was very intrested in my laptop and i used to show him how easy it was to use a mac (burning CD's/DVD's, installing software, how easy it is to navigate and how clean it looks). 2 weeks later his 17" PB arrives and he loves it, i liked the 17" so much i sold mine and got me a 17" PB aswell.

All in all we are both very happy with mac, i use the 17" PB for everything i need on the go + some gaming and watching movies and my G5 as a desktop. The only reason i use a PC is that i am a huge gamer and most games come out for the PC first and are better moded (nearly all mods are for PC's).

Makosuke
Oct 25, 2004, 07:11 PM
...I find all her arguments as to why completely illogical, but she won't listen. Oh well, you can't get them all.
I always figure there's no use in convincing somebody to buy something they won't be happy with, and there are people who for the ocasional legitimate reason or just plain comfort factor will just be happier using Windows. If so, let them be.

As for the other, say, 80% of the population, it only takes a few days in front of a Mac to become a convert.

Mechcozmo
Oct 25, 2004, 07:28 PM
My friend I know would really like Macs, but he only has about $200 and refuses to look at anything G3-based. It needs to be a laptop too, to replace his Gateway. Apple's and their ability to retain value...sigh... :)