Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SocialMedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Sn0wbreeze V1.6 has been Released minutes ago to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod 2G on iOS 4 for Windows users, Now I tried it and it's working on Windows, So if you didn't jailbreak yet (or don't know how) here's the step by step guide posted below..
Steps:
Step 1: Download and Install iTunes 9.2 from Here.
Step 2: Now Start iTunes, then Back up all your Data by Right click on iPhone (on right side of iTunes) then Click on Backup
Step 3: Download Sn0wbreeze V1.6 from Here , iOS 4 original firmware from Here, and Download .NET Framework 3.5 (required to run Sn0wbreeze) from Here.
Step 4: Start Sn0wbreeze and Select "Simple Mode"
Step 5: Click browse and select the iOS 4 firmware that you had downloaded for your iPhone.
Step 6: Now, if you selected the right firmware, Sn0wbreeze will show you the following page, Click on the blue arrow

Step 7: Sn0wbreeze will asks you if you have activated iPhone click on "Yes
Step 8: Now Sn0wbreeze should creat your Custom Firmware

Step 9: Now Sn0wbreeze should Done with the Custom Firmware as the following

Step 10: Once the .ipsw file created, navigate to itunes, Click on iPhone on the left, then hold left “alt” button (“Shift” button on Windows) on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” then release the alt button
Step 11: iTunes now should ask you about the .ipsw file, head up it to the created custom firmware by Sn0wbreeze
Step 12: Now, Sit back and let iTunes do it.. After several steps of installing the new firmware, Your device should be Jailbroken Successfully

Note: If you will Jailbreak on iPhone 3GS then you should have Old bootrooms ONLY, not new!
Answering a reader who asked To know the type of your Bootroom follow the guide below:
Step 1: On your iPhone, go to Settings>General and tap on “About”.
Step 2: Look for “Model” in the list. If your iPhone model number starts with “MC”, then you’ve got new bootrom (MC model), if it doesn’t start with “MC”, you’ve got old bootrom (non-MC model).

Now, You will be Easily able to Unlock your iPhone 3GS on any Baseband Including 05.13.04 / 05.12.01 Using Ultrasn0w 0.93, Step by Step guide posted here.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I have to question this part.
Step 2: Look for “Model” in the list. If your iPhone model number starts with “MC”, then you’ve got new bootrom (MC model), if it doesn’t start with “MC”, you’ve got old bootrom (non-MC model).
I have an MC model that I purchased on release day with the old bootrom.

I placed mine in DFU mode and then looked at the USB: Device Instance properties in Windows at confirmed it was using the old bootrom.

SocialMedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I have to question this part.

I have an MC model that I purchased on release day with the old bootrom.

I placed mine in DFU mode and then looked at the USB: Device Instance properties in Windows at confirmed it was using the old bootrom.

IF Confirmed "Old bootrom" then you can use this jailbreak :)

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Actually my 3GS is a MC Model but it has the old bootrom (I checked) it already has iOS 4 installed, can I still jb?

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
How much free space should I have after using sn0wbreeze on iPhone 3G 8GB? With redsn0w I only have 6.9GB of free space. Don't know why I lost about 300MB.

SocialMedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
what if I have the new bootrom and I wanna upgrade to 4.0 ( my phone is unlocked and not jailbroken)

No Jailbreak for 3gs with new bootroom, But i guess Redsn0w final version will jailbreak new bootroom

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP EXPLAIN THIS TO ME:

So Apple sent me a refurb 3GS this past Tuesday, I activated the phone through iTunes to firmware 4.0...it has the old bootrom as the buildweek number is 22.

The description for sn0wbreeze says your 3gs has to be jailbroken ALREADY for this to install properly.

Since my phone isn't jailbroken right now...what are my options?

Do I have to wait for a jailbreak that will work for the phones with the new bootrom?

How can I jailbreak this thing?

3GS on 4.0 using Windows.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Timbalan

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Step 1:[/B] On your iPhone, go to Settings>General and tap on “About”.

No offense intended as this is a great guide with but one minor exception. The "MC" vs "MB" in the model number of 3GS phones doesn't appear to be a reliable indicator of the Bootrom version (old/new). Instead you should probably choose to take a look at: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/814973/ To be certain before making an attempt in vain. HTH :)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
No offense intended as this is a great guide with but one minor exception. The "MC" vs "MB" in the model number of 3GS phones doesn't appear to be a reliable indicator of the Bootrom version (old/new). Instead you should probably choose to take a look at: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/814973/ To be certain before making an attempt in vain. HTH :)

+1

MC vs. MB has nothing to do with bootrom version on the 3GS. The MC/MB distinction only works on the iPod touch 2.

mustnotsleep

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
probably should edit the title and add old bootrom only

yes, would have saved me some time. also, i just recently bought a brand new iphone 3gs that was somebody's replacement and i have MB. this is totally new, so i really doubt i have the old firmware.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Could you do us poor saps who have phones that came with 3.1.3 a favor (as in, I wasnt quick on the trigger to upgrade or anything, I was SOL when I got the phone)? Put in the title of the thread that it is for old bootroms or isnt for the new bootroms so we dont waste our time reading it... its getting pretty darn discouraging.

Timbalan

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Don't be discouraged, I'm in the same boat. My 3GS came with 3.1.3 on the new bootrom (never previously JB'en as its a warranty replacement) as well and I'm patiently waiting it out. Your not alone by any means.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Ya Sn0wbreeze doesnt work at all for me. I've tried everything. iTunes will not shoot the ispw file to the phone. My phone goes into DFU mode and just sits there.
I successfully got the custom ispw file from Pwnage tool to work on my mac, but Cydia wont load up. I have no freakin clue whats going on.
Going back to 3.1.3. I've wasted way too many hours on this crap.

SocialMedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Guys, this guide for old bootroom!! Wait for Redsn0w or PwnageTol to Jailbreak 3GS new bootroom

phynios

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I'm having no luck with my 3GS either, I get error 1604. I had 3.1.2 jb on it until I upgraded to 4.0GM when it came out and now it seems only possible to get 4.0 jb (from a PC) if we are running an earlier jb os. When is Limera1n or a new Spirit coming along?

Come to think of it, what does spirit do differently to Blackra1n (apart from 3.1.3 support) that doesn't allow 4.0 jb via sn0wbreeze?

I realise this post implies that I ignored the old bootrom warning but I just thought I'd try it.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Guys, this guide for old bootroom!! Wait for Redsn0w or PwnageTol to Jailbreak 3GS new bootroom

I have the old bootrom. But Im persistant and I figured out that I can still ssh into the phone, although I cant open cydia. So..... I just have to find a way to rebiuld the librarys or figure out what the hell is going on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.