Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Because it's a great computer at a great price that will run Tiger when it comes out (more like June) just fine. I know two people that just bought iBooks, and they're totally stoked.

Lee Tom

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Yeah, the iBooks will run Tiger just fine. If they didn't Apple would have a really small market to sell Tiger to, because there are many PBs, iMacs, old PMs, etc that don't perform as well as the new iBooks that are still in use out there. The beauty of Tiger is that it will scale to fit the capabilities of the computer. Thus anyone who is interested in an iBook should buy and iBook. It will run Tiger fine.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Is this your way of trying to get other people to convince you to get that iBook you so desperately want? :p

We don't know exactly when in the "first half of 2005" Tiger is coming out. Even if you ended up not being satisfied with Panther and wanted to upgrade, you can do that.

The iBooks were just updated. Go forth and purchase.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
the ibooks are really good value and loads of people will be buying them as they will have just started at uni etc. also people will be getting them for christmas etc. tiger will still run on them, its just that core video and core something or other else wont but it sounds like that for the average person this really wont make mych difference!

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think that he means that why would you buy it now when you'll have to upgrade the OS in a couple of months...

I wouldnt really care, OSX.3 still kicks arse.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Who cares?

Why does it matter? If I wanted/needed a new computer, having to spend another $130 in, realistically, six months would not make me want to wait.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
CaptainCaveMann said:
Buy an ibook right now when Tiger is coming out prolly soon after January? :rolleyes:
Sorry but what a stupid comment! Not only is there NO indication that Tiger is "probably out after January", which in any case, is still 3 months away but what would it mean anyway? I you buy an iBook now, you get a computer which has just been updated (the best time to buy for value for money) and you get to enjoy it for at least 3-6 months before Tiger will come out anyway. Is waiting 3-6 months (could be as long as 9) really worth it to save $129 on an optional upgrade?

If you're worried about the whole CoreImage thing, Tiger will run on it completely fine so you won't need to worry about that. If you want to wait 6 months for the next iBook that may have a CoreImage-compatible card (which could well be out long after Tiger is available), suit yourself, but that's just plain daft if you want/need it now!

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Not that tiger is comming out in the next few months, probably later as everyone has mentioned. but when it does come out usually people who bought a new computer a month or so before the release will get an upgrade version for the $20 shipping fee and thats it. thats what happened when i got my PB Panther came out a week or two later so i got a free upgrade! it was great.

as for the iBooks they are a very good deal. i would almost recomened one instead of a PB right now (if someone wants a 12" or 14" but not if they want the larger screens of the 15 or 17 PBs)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
First half of 2005 most likely means 24-30 June, not a little after January. If I had a chance to buy an iBook, I wouldn't want to wait all that time, fighting with an old 233 MHz machine, not that I have one.

Speculation of an early release is nice but it's just speculation. If you match earlier hints and release dates, you'll find that the release dates fall closer to the end of the hint, not closer to the beginning. It's a good time to buy an iBook.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
johnnyjibbs said:
Sorry but what a stupid comment! Not only is there NO indication that Tiger is "probably out after January", which in any case, is still 3 months away but what would it mean anyway? I you buy an iBook now, you get a computer which has just been updated (the best time to buy for value for money) and you get to enjoy it for at least 3-6 months before Tiger will come out anyway. Is waiting 3-6 months (could be as long as 9) really worth it to save $129 on an optional upgrade?

If you're worried about the whole CoreImage thing, Tiger will run on it completely fine so you won't need to worry about that. If you want to wait 6 months for the next iBook that may have a CoreImage-compatible card (which could well be out long after Tiger is available), suit yourself, but that's just plain daft if you want/need it now!
You are so cool :rolleyes:

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Given that Apple has only said that Tiger will be released in the first half of 2005, and Amazon has had to change its available date on it from end-of-March to end-of-June to "first half of 2005", I don't think "soon after January" is all that probable.

Granted, it's nice to get the updated OS and the computer at the same time, but it's a long enough wait to justify buying now. Right now there's so little difference between the iBook and Powerbooks that the iBook's a steal.

Nice thing is, by the time Tiger IS finally out, we might have a better idea of how soon we may see a PowerBook G5. :D

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Flowbee said:
Note to self: Ignore all threads started by CaptainCaveMann.

Ditto, my friend. All posts made by him are pointless and just a ploy for him to get his post count up. This thread should be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.