Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninamyers247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
does anyone know of any step by step guides to do this, or one which you can post here? i am new to networking and would like to learn of how to do this so that i can back up important os x files onto the 6gb old imac.

any help is appreciated

TC

Pedro Estarque

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
On OSX, If you go SystemPrefs / Network / AppleTalk you can turn it on and it should work like any pre X sys

kettle

macrumors 65816
you'll need an ethernet crossover cable or if the iMac has firewire(I think they all did?) you can use a six to six Firewire cable and mount the iMac in Target disk mode.

Which way do you want to hear about first?

ninamyers247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
well either will be great. which will be more easily accessible? the only cable i have is a cat5 network cable.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
-The CAT5 cable you have, I assume it is a straight thru cable. Look at the cable colors at each end by turning the ends over so the tab is on the bottom. They should look the same. If they are different, you have a crossover cable.
-If a straight cable, get a ethernet hub, switch or router and another straight cable and plug them into each computer and the hub...

On the iMac running 8.5:
-Turn on File sharing in the Sharing Control panel. Enter name and password for the computer. Close the panel
-In the Finder, select the 6GB drive icon and goto File menu, Get Info/Sharing and select to Share this drive. Close the panel.
-The iMac may take a minute to start file sharing. The Control Strip will say if it is done opening. Open the TCP/IP control panel and record the IP address. It should be something like 192.168.1.2. If it is 169.x.x.x you have a problem.

On the new computer running OS X:
-Open System preferences and select the File Sharing pane. Click 'Personal File Sharing'. Close the panel.
-In the Finder, select the Go Menu, then enter the IP address of the iMac. You should get a login window. Enter the Name and password you entered for the iMac. The iMac drive should mount. You are done. Copy at will.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
pncc said:
-The CAT5 cable you have, I assume it is a straight thru cable. Look at the cable colors at each end by turning the ends over so the tab is on the bottom. They should look the same. If they are different, you have a crossover cable.
-If a straight cable, get a ethernet hub, switch or router and another straight cable and plug them into each computer and the hub...

On the iMac running 8.5:
-Turn on File sharing in the Sharing Control panel. Enter name and password for the computer. Close the panel
-In the Finder, select the 6GB drive icon and goto File menu, Get Info/Sharing and select to Share this drive. Close the panel.
-The iMac may take a minute to start file sharing. The Control Strip will say if it is done opening. Open the TCP/IP control panel and record the IP address. It should be something like 192.168.1.2. If it is 169.x.x.x you have a problem.

-Open System preferences and select the File Sharing pane. Click 'Personal File Sharing'. Close the panel.
-In the Finder, select the Go Menu, then enter the IP address of the iMac. You should get a login window. Enter the Name and password you entered for the iMac. The iMac drive should mount. You are done. Copy at will.
If he enables AppleTalk on both computers, he won't have to worry about IP-addresses and such like. He just has to log into one computer from the the other. I find that it is easiest to log into the MacOS computer from the MacOS X computer. Then you can read and write files on the MacOS computer til your heart's content. Even if MacOS 8.5 crashes, the hard disk should go on as though nothing happened.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Pedro Estarque said:
On OSX, If you go SystemPrefs / Network / AppleTalk you can turn it on and it should work like any pre X sys
Don't forget that AppleTalk is turned OFF by default on Mac OS X 10.2.X in Directory Access. You'll need to go in there and turn it on first.

Pedro Estarque

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
MisterMe said:
Even if MacOS 8.5 crashes, the hard disk should go on as though nothing happened.

If 8.5 crashes you'll lose connection to it. The system controls the drive and the connection protocol, so if it goes down you can't access the iMac remotely anymore. you must reboot

kettle

macrumors 65816
Firewire way

ninamyers247 said:
well either will be great. which will be more easily accessible? the only cable i have is a cat5 network cable.

The other way is to get a Firewire Cable and connect the two Macs together with it. Reboot the iMac while holding down Apple and T keys. This should make the iMac behave like an external Firewire drive. With any luck the iMac Hard drive should appear on the desktop of your OSX system and be fully drag and dropable.

That almost sounds too easy. :)

Not really networking in the multi user sense, but should be good enough for the File backup you were referring to.

the Firewire cable is a 6pin to 6pin, the smaller ones you see are four in IIRC usually called iLink by sony.you want the bigger ones.

bye.

ninamyers247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
kettle said:
the Firewire cable is a 6pin to 6pin, the smaller ones you see are four in IIRC usually called iLink by sony.you want the bigger ones.

bye.

is the iPod firewire cable 4 pin to 4pin?

ninamyers247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
MisterMe said:
If he enables AppleTalk on both computers, he won't have to worry about IP-addresses and such like. He just has to log into one computer from the the other. I find that it is easiest to log into the MacOS computer from the MacOS X computer. Then you can read and write files on the MacOS computer til your heart's content. Even if MacOS 8.5 crashes, the hard disk should go on as though nothing happened.

once i have done this how do ii log in?

ok so i have a straight thru cat5 cable, and what i think is a 4pin firwire cable (the ipod firewire cable). i don't have a router or a hub (only a 4 port usb hub).

iam spoilt for choice, if this ipod cable turns out to be 6 pin then i'll do that, if not i'll plug the cat5 between them (hoping i don't need a hub/router) and use appletalk, or the other method.

will this all work without a router?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ninamyers247 said:
once i have done this how do ii log in?

ok so i have a straight thru cat5 cable, and what i think is a 4pin firwire cable (the ipod firewire cable). i don't have a router or a hub (only a 4 port usb hub).

iam spoilt for choice, if this ipod cable turns out to be 6 pin then i'll do that, if not i'll plug the cat5 between them (hoping i don't need a hub/router) and use appletalk, or the other method.

will this all work without a router?
You don't need a hub/router if you're connecting two Macs directly - you don't even need a crossover cable, since modern Macs (since the G3 era) are smart enough to auto-detect the cable type and adjust accordingly. It even works if only one Mac can auto-sense; it'll adjust to the other Mac. As far as logging in goes, it depends on how you're connecting the Macs. If you're using the FireWire cable method (called FireWire Target Disk Mode) you don't have to log in at all. If you're using Ethernet, log in as a user on the machine you're connecting to.

ninamyers247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
pncc said:

On the iMac running 8.5:

i followed these instructions and i get an error (-36) when i attempted to connect (using command+k i presumed) to the imac with ip 194.x.x.x

what does this mean, how can i resolve it etc.

also i have activated appletalk, in both places, now what do i do from here?
thanks
TC

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Pedro Estarque said:
If 8.5 crashes you'll lose connection to it. The system controls the drive and the connection protocol, so if it goes down you can't access the iMac remotely anymore. you must reboot
I would not have said that the drive goes on after the OS crashes if I had not seen it for myself on my own computer--several times. It certainly is not what I expected, but it is what happened. You need only reboot when you need control of the computer.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ninamyers247 said:
anyone know the answers to my questions, like what is error -36?
Error -36 is an I/O error. That means there was a problem preventing reading from or writing to that area of the disk in question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.