PDA

View Full Version : Macosrumors at it again :)

willmg
Oct 26, 2004, 10:14 AM
Has anyone checked their new IBM rumors. 970MPs in Powerbooks.......I dunno man sounds a bit out there to me, if it can't handle a single low clocked G5, what possible changes could have been made to allow a dual core G5!

Prove me wrong crazy rumormongers and I will buy one in a second.

Heh

Mr. Anderson
Oct 26, 2004, 10:22 AM
http://www.macosrumors.com/102504A.php

meh - I'd be surprise, to say the least, to see dual core G5s in a PowerBook before they show up in a Power Mac.

But this rumor is something that's been out there for a while....

D

strider42
Oct 26, 2004, 10:41 AM
Has anyone checked their new IBM rumors. 970MPs in Powerbooks.......I dunno man sounds a bit out there to me, if it can't handle a single low clocked G5, what possible changes could have been made to allow a dual core G5!

Prove me wrong crazy rumormongers and I will buy one in a second.

Heh

well, just to play devils advocate, the dual core 970 may require some changes to the architecture, making the powerbook easier to put it into since they'd be redesigning that machine anyway. they already have quite a bit invested int he current design of the powermacs.

Also, presumably a dual core processor would be on the latest and greatest fab processes, maybe enough so to reduce the heat and power consumption to acceptable levels.

And finally, perhaps they could underclock the chips so that they run cooler, but make up for it by having dual cores (which is more efficient than dual processors).

I'm not saying it will happen, I think it rather unlikely. I'm just throwing out a few ideas off the top of my head that would argue for the possibility.