Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I'd like to know if iMovie uses task completion for outputting video and things like that. ReelDirector pauses everything once it goes off screen.

EDIT: It just hit me how cool it is to have a thread comparing video editing suites for a phone.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
It's been a while since I've used ReelDirector but I tried iMovie last night and was a little disappointed. When adding titles there does not seem to be a way to change how long the title displays on the clip. For instance, if my clip is 45 seconds long the title also displays on the screen for 45 seconds. Is there any way to change this title?

gazzzmoly

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
It's been a while since I've used ReelDirector but I tried iMovie last night and was a little disappointed. When adding titles there does not seem to be a way to change how long the title displays on the clip. For instance, if my clip is 45 seconds long the title also displays on the screen for 45 seconds. Is there any way to change this title?

Yeah oi know what you mean i just came looking for help on title thing

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I wish i didn't buy this so quickly. iMovie. I can't figure out how to use it either. I got a movie in but don't see how to edit it.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Anyone with iMovie export a movie to the highest setting? I did and my final movie was a small square. I thought it would fill the screen. WTF

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Right now Reeldirector will only output to 640x480.

iMovie is confusing. How do I splice a clip? I know how to trim a clip, but what if I just want to cut out a piece in the middle of a clip?

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
So far I like iMovie with a couple desires for future releases.

1. I want to be able to edit how long a title is in a clip. Not have the title only work for the whole clip.

2. I would like to be able to sync projects with iMovie on my MacBook Pro.

Other than those two desires which are not show stoppers for me, I think it is a deal for 4.99.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Right now Reeldirector will only output to 640x480.

iMovie is confusing. How do I splice a clip? I know how to trim a clip, but what if I just want to cut out a piece in the middle of a clip?

I don't think you can splice, trim the clip on way. then import the clip again and trim it the other way

I don't think you can splice, trim the clip on way. then import the clip again and trim it the other way. apply the title as desired

I'm a disapointed with imovie as it's like a HUGE step backwards...especially those of use using FCE/FCP. but if you think logically you can do a lot with some old school work throughs. those who expected a serious video interface i'm sure are pretty let down. i expect and hope for some serious improvments. i like it for what it is....editing "hd" content on a phone!

what's getting me is a 1:04 clip being "too long to email" what's that about? I text' it to a friend but can't email!?
need to figure out this exporting stuff as it's the worst part for me right now.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
So far I like iMovie with a couple desires for future releases.

1. I want to be able to edit how long a title is in a clip. Not have the title only work for the whole clip.

2. I would like to be able to sync projects with iMovie on my MacBook Pro.

Other than those two desires which are not show stoppers for me, I think it is a deal for 4.99.

i have not an iPhone 4 so i have not used iMovie but this would seem like an easy work around (provided you can split clips like in ReelDirector, just split the first clip to your desired title duration and you should have a title that doesnt last as long.

added a video done by ReelDirector, best editing i could get with just one iPhone.

Youtube Video

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
check my sigline for iMovie tips.

I've only used ReelDirector on the iPad and simply could not figure out how to run my project WITHOUT rendering it first.

RM350z

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
check my sigline for iMovie tips.

I've only used ReelDirector on the iPad and simply could not figure out how to run my project WITHOUT rendering it first.

Thanks for the tips! Now I know how to add text before pics! EPIC!

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I bought iMovie and wish I hadn't. I use the Mac version and love it. When you apply a theme it doesn't add it throughout the movie, you need to then insert clips from the theme between your pictures or movies clippings.

The rest of the features aren't very intuitive either. Wish they had created a good online set of directions. Either way this app wasn't ready for prime time.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
i have not an iPhone 4 so i have not used iMovie but this would seem like an easy work around (provided you can split clips like in ReelDirector, just split the first clip to your desired title duration and you should have a title that doesnt last as long.

added a video done by ReelDirector, best editing i could get with just one iPhone.

Youtube Video

Difficult in practice. You can't split clips, you have to import it twice and trim it both ways. Then to make this work seamlessly, the endpoint on the first clip would have to EXACTLY match the start point on the second so the video doesn't "jump".

headphonesonly

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
Canada
You should take a look at 1st Video. http://bit.ly/1stVideo [app store link]
It doesn't have some features like titles, transitions, or HD export yet but it is very powerful for editing.

Full disclosure: I work for the company that develops 1st Video.

Mistersplabby

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
No Contest: Reeldirector

I've played around with both. iMovie is a joke. Reeldirector works great. Couple of small issues with it: no preview and long render time, but it does a really nice job of cutting together short videos on your phone with titles and simple transitions. Save your money, don't bother with iMovie for your iPhone and spend the $4 on Reeldirector.

BTW - I love iMovie (the original version) for my Mac and still use it. I had hoped iMovie for iPhone would have been equally as nice. It's not.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I saw Splice tonight too. For now I'll stick with the other two, but I'll be keeping my eyes on this one for future updates.

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
both have issues but c'mon folks. it's rendering a movie on a phone. lol

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
Difficult in practice. You can't split clips, you have to import it twice and trim it both ways. Then to make this work seamlessly, the endpoint on the first clip would have to EXACTLY match the start point on the second so the video doesn't "jump".

I'm surpirsed that apple made such a dumb product considering app store app version can do so much more editing wise. one would think that splitting a clip would be second nature to video editing, i guess that excludes apple.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
ReelDirector is probably the better app right now.

That being said, I bought iMovie with the belief that Apple will eventually update it with all the features we want. I prefer Apple video editing software for its simplicity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.