PDA

View Full Version : ATI or NVidia

iEric
Oct 26, 2004, 10:24 AM
I have a dual 1.0 ghz g4 powermac mdd and it has the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. I'm looking into upgrading because the computer has max out ram, and it has been a little sluggish when doing graphic-intensive stuff. and i have like Safari and Mail open, big deal.
So I was wondering, what would you recommend for something with 128 MB...should I buy from nvidia or ATI?

russed
Oct 26, 2004, 10:49 AM
that really doesnt sound good. have you tried repairing permissions ( look under disk utility) that might speed things up?

invaLPsion
Oct 26, 2004, 11:19 AM
I have a dual 1.0 ghz g4 powermac mdd and it has the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. I'm looking into upgrading because the computer has max out ram, and it has been a little sluggish when doing graphic-intensive stuff. and i have like Safari and Mail open, big deal.
So I was wondering, what would you recommend for something with 128 MB...should I buy from nvidia or ATI?

I'd go with the Radeon 9800 or preferably the Geforce 4 Titanium (if you can find it.) Good luck.

Chaszmyr
Oct 26, 2004, 11:38 AM
Personally, I have a brand loyalty to ATI, so I buy from them whenever I can justify it.

iEric
Oct 26, 2004, 05:24 PM
is it really hard to find the Geforce 4 TI?

invaLPsion
Oct 26, 2004, 05:45 PM
is it really hard to find the Geforce 4 TI?

They pop up occasionally on eBay for around $200-$250. It would probably be best to go with the 9800 for the "bang for your buck."

Mord
Oct 26, 2004, 06:17 PM
a geforce 4 ti is completely the wrong choice, get a 9800.

it's considerably slower (4 pipeline card), it makes a really annoying high pitched whining noise and it dose not support core image.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 26, 2004, 06:41 PM
9800 is a better choice......unless you can find a great deal on that 4 Titanium. for a couple of side notes that dual G4 1 gig isnt going to have what it takes to show the 9800s true colors. Thats just the truth also i have had machines with both ati and nvidea and i have prefered the nvidea. My Geforce 3 has been very solid and my new 6800GT seems to be of the same mold. Pay attention...more macs come with nvidia then the other nowdays. Apple must have a reason.

iceTrX
Oct 26, 2004, 08:17 PM
9800 is a better choice......unless you can find a great deal on that 4 Titanium. for a couple of side notes that dual G4 1 gig isnt going to have what it takes to show the 9800s true colors. Thats just the truth also i have had machines with both ati and nvidea and i have prefered the nvidea. My Geforce 3 has been very solid and my new 6800GT seems to be of the same mold. Pay attention...more macs come with nvidia then the other nowdays. Apple must have a reason.

Probably because nVidia pays them to put those garbage 5200 Ultras in their computers that nVidia probably couldn't give away.*

*This message was to point out that the 5200 is an extremely weak/flawed GPU that not only was weak when it came out, but is obsolete now as there has been two major updates to the nVidia architecture since its introduction.

MacsRgr8
Oct 27, 2004, 02:53 PM
Radeon 9800 Pro. Period.

Far, far, far better card than the GeForce 4 Ti.
I agree that a Dual 1.0 GHz G4 won't really push the card to its limits, but the override 3D settings for this card can be used without any punishment, for the same reason!
The only problem is ADC. If you have an ADC display, then you'll be needing a DVI to ADC adapter with the Radeon 9800.....

Then the GeForce 4 with ADC could be a much more convenient choice.

Maybe trying to find a Radeon 9700 Pro OEM could be best.... Gr8 card, and has ADC.