PDA

View Full Version : HD Failure - Just In Time?

drewdle
Jun 24, 2010, 12:32 PM
Curiouser things have happened, but what do you guys think of this?

I pulled the WD120Gb drive from my iMac when I was working on it and replaced it with a new WD160. The old drive wasn't the original, but did have a 2003 build date on it. It seemed to work flawlessly while it was in the iMac.

I went to put the old drive into my B&W G3, because I needed the Samsung drive that was in the G3 presently for another project, but interestingly, it seems to have bit the biscuit. It was only sitting on my shelf for a week, if that, but I can't get OS X to install on the drive, with the installer citing "I/O errors". The project (modding an old PS2) didn't turn out to be nearly as useful as the old Mac, so I gave it back the Samsung 120, and now it's humming along in the living room streaming SomaFM on OS X 10.4.11.

Is there any reason why the iMac wouldn't have caught wind of a problem with the HD and the G3 did? Or did it just fail on me after I pulled it? Because man, that's amazing timing on my part. :)

chrismacguy
Jun 27, 2010, 07:25 AM
Sounds like you just had perfect timing, Ive never had a drive fail on me after swapping it, assuming that you havent managed to drop/damage the drive while moving it between the iMac G4 and B&W G3. Have you checked that the drive doesnt work in the G4 still? - It could just be a controller issue on the G3s side ofc.