PDA

View Full Version : Can i use DVD+R

PeterBonnar
Oct 26, 2004, 11:39 AM
I read on here a few day ago a thread where someone gave a terminal command to tell if your Superdrive is capable of writting to DVD+R.

Can anyone tell me the command... i've searched but can't find it!

Thanks

edesignuk
Oct 26, 2004, 11:44 AM
Think this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1064598&postcount=3) might have been the post you were looking for ;)

PeterBonnar
Oct 26, 2004, 11:48 AM
it is!!! God Bless you... and your avatar!

daveL
Oct 26, 2004, 11:50 AM
Think this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1064598&postcount=3) might have been the post you were looking for ;)
Interesting. I tried the command referenced in the link above, and it only reported the "-" formats, even though I'm right in the middle of burning a "+rw" (Pioneer DVR-107D, PM G5 original drive). It also report cache at 0k. Sounds a bit unreliable to me.

yellow
Oct 26, 2004, 12:20 PM
Interesting, a DVR-107d should list + media as supported in Panther. It's pretty darned close to the 108.

yellow% drutil info
Vendor Product Rev
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.04

Interconnect: ATAPI
SupportLevel: Vendor Supported
Cache: 2000k
CD-Write: -R, -RW, BUFE, CDText, Test, IndexPts, ISRC
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, BUFE, Test
Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

daveL
Oct 26, 2004, 04:49 PM
Interesting, a DVR-107d should list + media as supported in Panther. It's pretty darned close to the 108.

yellow% drutil info
Vendor Product Rev
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.04

Interconnect: ATAPI
SupportLevel: Vendor Supported
Cache: 2000k
CD-Write: -R, -RW, BUFE, CDText, Test, IndexPts, ISRC
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, BUFE, Test
Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Weird, I rebooted after updating QT and re-ran the drutil command. Now the report is exactly as yours. I have updated the firmware on my drive to the last pioneer firmware release for the 107D (1.20), but I had rebooted since then. I did some dvd burns this am with toast, but I can't see offhand why that would change anything.

A news item on 'hardmac' today suggests that these drives are actually 108s. They plan to do some testing and post the results. It may be possible to re-flash these drives with pioneer 108 firmware and get full functionality. We'll see.