PDA

View Full Version : dead B&W what should I try next?

uvex
Oct 26, 2004, 05:53 PM
I broke the side clip off of the socket A on my B&W. So I got a motherboard off of ebay, they guy said it was a new replacement from apple...either way, I installed it and used my old 350mhz chip (as well as a new 350 mhz chip I bought off of ebay) and neither chip works. When I installed the motherboard, I tried to replace like for like with all of the wires. What should I do next, I am at a loss.

MacNeXT
Oct 26, 2004, 06:38 PM
My B&W has shown the behavior of not booting up (power and fan/hd spin up but no chime) a lot whenever I had been playing around with different processors, speed jumpers or memory. I have never found the real cause but it has always powered up after either reseating things, just waiting or doing logic board resets, or combinations and/or iterations of these.

I have never found a procedure that always works. There may be one but it then again, like I said, I have never found out what was causing it, there might have been different causes in different instances. All in all, a bit vague and probably not very useful, but don't give up too soon. I've done a lot of cursing, thinking I broke the thing but then all of the sudden it was alive again. Besides these occasions, it has always been a stable system.

Good luck!

uvex
Oct 26, 2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the tips. I am at the extreme edge of frustration. I just bought about $300 of addons for this computer before it broke. throw another $100 in for the motherboard and cpu....well, gggghhh

uvex
Oct 27, 2004, 07:56 AM
Ok this is weird.....I have the heat sink off, and the cpu is not even getting hot? Shouldn't it be somewhat hot when the computer is on?

Spock
Oct 27, 2004, 08:39 AM
We need more detail, is the Computer not getting power at all? ar any lights on? Is the Power Supply running? Try pressing the cuda reset next to the power on the board. Also I would verify the power supply. The logic board requires a trickle of +5V to start up.Make sure the power supply is off. Conncet the black lead of a volt meter to pin 16 on the 20 pin power supply connector on for the motherboard. Connect the red lead to pin 9 of the power supply connector. the Volt meter should read +5V if You measure 5V Your Power supply should be good if not replace the power supply

uvex
Oct 27, 2004, 10:53 AM
We need more detail, is the Computer not getting power at all? ar any lights on? Is the Power Supply running? Try pressing the cuda reset next to the power on the board. Also I would verify the power supply. The logic board requires a trickle of +5V to start up.Make sure the power supply is off. Conncet the black lead of a volt meter to pin 16 on the 20 pin power supply connector on for the motherboard. Connect the red lead to pin 9 of the power supply connector. the Volt meter should read +5V if You measure 5V Your Power supply should be good if not replace the power supply

the mobo lights up, the hard drives are initializing...there is no chime, and nothing comes up on screen. I have tried reseting the cuda (though I accidently did it the first time with the power on). The power supply worked in the previous mobo (a week ago) so I do not suspect a problem there. I will verify it tonight, but think all is fine there....

ryan42
Oct 27, 2004, 11:12 AM
You say you broke the clip off "socket A."
RAM socket A?
Can you not just put the RAM in a diffrent socket and just use that motherboard to see if the processors work?

Something just to help me think about your problem... Does keyboard power on work? and When the machine is powered on and you press reset, do you hear the hard disks spinning down/up?

uvex
Oct 27, 2004, 11:45 AM
You say you broke the clip off "socket A."
RAM socket A?
Can you not just put the RAM in a diffrent socket and just use that motherboard to see if the processors work?

Something just to help me think about your problem... Does keyboard power on work? and When the machine is powered on and you press reset, do you hear the hard disks spinning down/up?
No, this is the clip that secures the heatsink. When I reset, the hard drives neither spin up/down.

Spock
Oct 27, 2004, 01:05 PM
No, this is the clip that secures the heatsink. When I reset, the hard drives neither spin up/down.

O.K,You say You have lights The Power on light should alway be on, Light D59 should be on but dim. if the USB status lights do not come on You have a boot error. Replace the PRAM battery this will keep the system from booting also.

ryan42
Oct 27, 2004, 01:27 PM
forgot about that. It really could be the battery. Also, does Keyboard poweron work?

Spock
Oct 28, 2004, 09:24 AM
forgot about that. It really could be the battery. Also, does Keyboard poweron work?

The Power on works on my ADB keyboard. Is the board a Rev.A or B??

uvex
Oct 28, 2004, 12:28 PM
it's a Rev A. But I am using a ata133 pci card with it....

uvex
Oct 28, 2004, 12:29 PM
Its a Rev A, but I have an ata133 PCI card attached.

uvex
Oct 30, 2004, 09:49 AM
ok...just measured and got 5.01V, so the powersupply is good. Any other suggestions? Or is my board bad? also, what about the chip not getting hot....is that a sign of anything?

also, i have 2 lights on the motherboard that are lit up...one is the power on light, the other is D57

thanks....

Sun Baked
Oct 30, 2004, 09:57 AM
If the CPU is working you get a bong, if everything else seems to be spinning up with no bong -- you have no CPU.

The bong needs a CPU, since it's probably a short routine in Open Firmware.

If this is the same CPU from the broken motherboard, it may have burned up without the heatsink.

If this is not the same one, check all the jumpers, try the old one, etc.

Plus no heat - not working.

uvex
Oct 30, 2004, 10:52 AM
If the CPU is working you get a bong, if everything else seems to be spinning up with no bong -- you have no CPU.

The bong needs a CPU, since it's probably a short routine in Open Firmware.

If this is the same CPU from the broken motherboard, it may have burned up without the heatsink.

If this is not the same one, check all the jumpers, try the old one, etc.

Plus no heat - not working.
weird, i just tried to start it up and it worked!! However, when I put my firewire card in and a few sticks of ram, it stopped ....aarrgh. i tried taking all of that stuff out again, but it no longer is working. could this be a short? I am baffled, how can it work, and then not work. deos that mean the cpu is ok?

ryan42
Oct 31, 2004, 04:29 PM
For, about the 27th time,

DOES KEYBOARD POWER-ON WORK?!

uvex
Oct 31, 2004, 06:28 PM
For, about the 27th time,

DOES KEYBOARD POWER-ON WORK?!
dude, for crying out loud, no. It has never worked. I have a piece of crap old imac keyboard.

thanks everyone for the help though, I finally fixed it.
for those with a similar problem, maybe I can save you a few hours of frustration.
step 1. spend about 15 hours pulling your hair out and buying new mobo's and cpus from ebay.
step 2. get so frustrated that you kick your powermac. Don't kick it hard enough to break stuff....just hard enough to jar things a little
step 3. voila. works like a champ now. true story

ryan42
Nov 1, 2004, 07:10 AM
The "piece of crap old iMac keyboard" is the one that came with it. It should work.