PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the Apple iPad case

Razeus
Jun 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
Finally the Apple Store had a couple in stock. Picked one up. It's going back however. This thing feels cheap and flimsy. For $40, I expected something MUCH more sturdier and leathery feel. I don't recommend this accessory.

twoism
Jun 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
I agree with that. It's a pretty lazy design, especially coming from Apple. I suppose the one good thing is that it is pretty low profile, but I hate the sharp edges and the fact that it attracts lots of dust. The lock orientation slider is particularly difficult to access with it on too.

gucciipad
Jun 25, 2010, 04:58 PM
I like it. Out of all the cases I looked at. The apple case was the best one.

SnowLeopard2008
Jun 25, 2010, 05:03 PM
It's built from quality materials like microfiber in the interior, molded rubber on the outside. While one button (orientation lock) is hard to access, it's much better than the other cases. The ability to fold the cover back to form a stand in two orientations is clever. It's also pretty slim. Worth my $40. Definitely not cheap or flimsy. But those cheap and flimsy silicone skins on eBay for a couple of bucks are.

sracer
Jun 25, 2010, 05:23 PM
It's built from quality materials like microfiber in the interior, molded rubber on the outside. While one button (orientation lock) is hard to access, it's much better than the other cases. The ability to fold the cover back to form a stand in two orientations is clever. It's also pretty slim. Worth my $40. Definitely not cheap or flimsy. But those cheap and flimsy silicone skins on eBay for a couple of bucks are.
The material on the inside of the case is the same as the outside. The material on the inside that sits against the iPad's back is indeed microfiber, but the rest of the inside is the same molded rubber as the outside. The cutouts for the speaker are misplaced and nearly cover the entire speaker grill. The seam that runs along the edge interferes with the volume rocker as well.
The part that partially covers the front glass of the iPad collects dust and runs a real risk of causing scratches.

If it wasn't made by Apple, it would be universally panned. It is a serviceable case but far from a great one.

gigaguy
Jun 25, 2010, 06:44 PM
I've tried 5 or 6 cases, and always go back to the apple one. It's not perfect, but I found easy fixes for the marring on the case, and build up on the screen edges. The edge seam, functions as a nice bumper.

iFerd
Jun 25, 2010, 07:47 PM
The orientation lock is easily accessible on mine.

KameronBriggs
Jun 26, 2010, 05:42 PM
Yea, and it collects dust on the front. It's not my favorite case I have, but it IS amazing for traveling.

JonMPLS
Jun 26, 2010, 10:01 PM
I bought an Apple case while waiting for another case on backorder, but I am really starting to like it. It is really fitted, and the cover folds completely back which I like for reading. Minimal added thickness too.

mrgossett
Jun 27, 2010, 10:06 PM
I have bought and tried two or three other iPad cases, and I always come back to the Apple case. The iPad fits it snugly and perfectly, the lid folds back nicely for reading, and it's super slim and light. Yes, it does pick up dirt, but I can brush it off and it looks fine. And the material, whatever it is, provides a good grip when carrying it around. The only thing I don't enjoy as much is the fairly sharp edge, but that actually serves a good purpose for protection. It's still the best all-around case that I've seen.

magiclaffs
Jun 27, 2010, 11:27 PM
I looked at tons of cases and wound up keeping it. I found there is a small stretch factor to it so any "ill fit" can be easily stretched a bit as you fit the case to the Ipad. It also seems to have a bit of a "memory" so that once you get it fitted it will stay as it is.

Looking at the different cases I've noticed that some cause "dents" in the screen, others rub, and some just look odd with really poorly made elastic to hold it in places, obscuring the screen.

richpjr
Jun 28, 2010, 12:49 AM
I have bought and tried two or three other iPad cases, and I always come back to the Apple case. The iPad fits it snugly and perfectly, the lid folds back nicely for reading, and it's super slim and light. Yes, it does pick up dirt, but I can brush it off and it looks fine. And the material, whatever it is, provides a good grip when carrying it around. The only thing I don't enjoy as much is the fairly sharp edge, but that actually serves a good purpose for protection. It's still the best all-around case that I've seen.

This matches my experience to a tee.

wrkactjob
Jun 28, 2010, 04:55 AM
How does the apple case compare with the snugg one which seems similar?

rworne
Jun 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
I looked at tons of cases and wound up keeping it. I found there is a small stretch factor to it so any "ill fit" can be easily stretched a bit as you fit the case to the Ipad. It also seems to have a bit of a "memory" so that once you get it fitted it will stay as it is.

Looking at the different cases I've noticed that some cause "dents" in the screen, others rub, and some just look odd with really poorly made elastic to hold it in places, obscuring the screen.

The Apple case causes "dents" too. If you mean markings on the screen. The "fold" in the cover always makes a vertical mark on the iPad's screen no matter how clean I keep it.

flycats
Jun 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
The first and only case I've used is the Yoobao case and it works perfectly. I can't imagine trying another.

Maxington
Jun 29, 2010, 09:05 AM
Any ideas on other retail stores that sell the Apple iPad case?

peapody
Jun 29, 2010, 09:45 AM
The first and only case I've used is the Yoobao case and it works perfectly. I can't imagine trying another.

I would get the yoobao, if it did not have white sticting. yecch...

I have an apple case I am actually selling. Pm me if you want it.