PDA

View Full Version : Buying an eMac

mattroberts
Oct 27, 2004, 12:22 AM
Well I'm not - My sister has seen the light (it was more of a blue screen of death) and she's decided the new computer she'll get is an eMac. (i also may have said i won't fix any PC she gets :) )

I'm in charge of the purchase - So the question is do i wait & hope for a new revision - is one on the way? I've read the page2 rumor but the recent upgrades have left emacs alone. is there a chance pre-christmas?

Also as eMacs have never been high on my radar any good/bad experiences would be nice.

cheers
m

combatcolin
Oct 27, 2004, 03:31 AM
The new eMac should be just round the corner, Apple updated the last one with NO advance notice WHATSOEVER and caught everyone by surprise.

Just hang on a bit longer.

Coca-Cola
Oct 27, 2004, 03:59 AM
Small dog has some specials on refurbished eMac's right now. They are throwing in Contribute 3. That would be pretty advanced for your sister but cool to have none the less. Match that with .mac and you have a winner.

Coca-Cola
Oct 27, 2004, 04:01 AM

Coca-Cola
Oct 27, 2004, 04:02 AM
It would suck if a G5 eMac came out soon. Man that would be so sweet. I would put that on my credit card in a heart beat. Oh oh! :)

stevehaslip
Oct 27, 2004, 04:25 AM
I don't think that we'll be seeing the G5 in the eMac any time before Christmas, for sure. Its the top processor and its only just made it to the iMac. It will definately go to the powerbook before it hits the eMac. But you might get a new rev of a slightly faster eMac before christmas or maybe just after.
Then again don't shoot me if it happens!

Me, i'd get an eMac now if you got the money? Is your sister eligible for the student discount?

lasuther
Oct 27, 2004, 06:15 AM
If you can wait, then your should wait until the next update. It would be a good move to have a decent update before Christmas on the eMac line. You might also want to wait until January for the rumored iLife 05 release. Save you $50 from having to buy it new.

lasuther

liketom
Oct 27, 2004, 06:48 AM
i would think the e-mac will have
G4 1.33Ghz
256mb ram
120 Gb HDD
16 x SuperDrive
Airport Extreme
Bluetooth
649 - $999

and lower model
G4 1.33Ghz
256mb ram
60 GB HDD
CD/DVD combi
Airport Extreme
549 - $799

mattroberts
Oct 28, 2004, 06:02 PM
thanks for all the replies, i Think i'll play a waiting game till later november before making any move.

cheers
m

jsw
Oct 28, 2004, 06:06 PM
I don't think that we'll be seeing the G5 in the eMac any time before Christmas, for sure. Its the top processor and its only just made it to the iMac. ...
Of course, of any Mac besides the PowerMac, the eMac has the best ability to handle the heat in its current form factor....

MacSA
Oct 28, 2004, 07:46 PM
i would think the e-mac will have
G4 1.33Ghz
256mb ram
120 Gb HDD
16 x SuperDrive
Airport Extreme
Bluetooth
649 - $999

and lower model
G4 1.33Ghz
256mb ram
60 GB HDD
CD/DVD combi
Airport Extreme
549 - $799

I can't see them adding AirPort Cards - I doubt its a computer you'll be moving around much lol. And even the iMacs dont have one.

stevehaslip
Oct 30, 2004, 04:57 PM
they might add airport extreme but the iMac doesn't even have that as standaard does it? There will also be no bluetooth for sure, theres no way that apple would make that a standard config when its not even standard on the Powermac.

Blue Velvet
Oct 30, 2004, 05:03 PM
Apart from RAM, installing anything else is a complete pig.
The case is tricky to open and needs a lot of care...

A friend of mine wanted some help putting a new HD in hers and it was a bit of an ordeal.