Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
old

Its quite old but interesting enough!

Somedays I think, yes they will bring out g5s and others I think, no chance!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Now

Pretty sure its not going to come out this january (I really want one though)!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This is my first post on this site

I do believe that the G5 is ready for shipment and will be launched on the 7th from what i have heard it will be in the quicksilver case to start and than a new design will be launched in the spring its been over 2 years of the G4 chip and apple does not like leting products get much beyond that. I have heard that motorola has solved the G5 problems and from what ive heard it might be shipped in 1.2 1.4 and 1.6 ghz with ddr ram and a higher bus speed of possibly 400 mhx

fukuhela

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2001
Scandinavia
No G5

I'm certain that there wont be any G5. And as we get closer to the 7th I don't even believe in a new LCD imac. But instead we will see a new device from Apple - but I haven't got a clue to what that might be.

I'm not the only one who's going to be disappointed after MWSF.

But certainly I do hope that SJ will prove me wrong and really bring back Apple hardware as the absolutly best.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: No G5

I can almost guarantee that there will be a new imac of some sort (17" CRT or 15"LCD)! I dont think apple would put a G5 in the quicksilver cases though. There will also be at least a minor update to the powermacs.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
i would be more suprised of an lcd imac

personaly i would think apple would try to get the G5 out to market sooner than a lcd imac i think it is in the companys best interest to release a faster processer than try to waste money on a lcd imac that is not really needed the real need of apple is to break the ghz barrier and an lcd imac is just a waste of time and energy.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Heh...

...LCD iMac, a waste of time and energy? What exactly do you think Apple makes its money on? The iMac is their top selling desktop, and it's sales have deen dropping off steadily. It needs an update.

usa4jer

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
Probably not

y'all should take a look at this article.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/04.motorola.php

it was written on december 4th (my mom's birthday!), so there's a chance that things could have changed between now and then, but probably not. for those of you who don't feel like looking, here's the basic point, quoted from the article:

"Motorola has already announced many G5 processor products -- the MPC 8540 in the networking space, announced at this year's Microprocessor Forum and the MPC5500 family in the automotive space, announced October 1, 2001. The MPC 8540 is one of the first G5 products to be announced and will be sampling in the first half of 2002, according to Motorola's Microprocessor Forum presentation. None of these G5 processors have all of the necessary components to be used by Apple on the desktop."

look, i want to see and own a G5 as much as the rest of you, and 2002 is almost certainly the year for it, but 2002 is only 5 days old and the G5 isn't ready for the mac quite yet. but damn, i know they're going to blow us away nonetheless.

jymac

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
My Picks

I believe they will release the G5 just in the Top end Tower though, remember the G5 went into production in early Dec by now they should have enough to support it. The low end towers will sport the 7460 also over 1GHZ, this chip will also show up in the Top end iMacs and the low cost iMacs will have the G3, iBooks will sport G3s' also. Now the only thing I'm confused about is the PBG4 which I hope will be bump up to 1GHZ or better which makes sense seeing as though most machines will debut over the GHZ barrier so it's only right to keep the PBG4 in running by a nice overhaul.

jymac aka The MacMind
G4 450 1.5gigs of ram and Radeon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.