Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samelson03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Is this a good time to purchase one? will they update the Classic anytime soon? I don't want to buy one and then a week later they update it.

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
Nobody knows. Perhaps they will discontinue the Classic - but again, no one knows. The Classic is great. Buy one new or look for a refurbished. I wouldn't wait.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I just got one. They may kill it, they might keep it as-is, they may drop the price, who knows. But I wanted it now, so I just got it. Get it if you want it. But if you CAN wait, just wait to see what the new lineup of iPods will be in Sept. I'm sure if on announcement day, the kill the Classic, you'll still be able to hop right on to Amazon and order one, they'll still have them most likely.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
classic - awesome

Picked mine up yesterday

No frills fantastic music player..... yeah they may update it but what you going to use it for......essentially the updates, as far as I can tell, are aesthetics and capacity.....well if you can fill 160Gb with music and videos, you are probably more worried about being caught for piracy than some minimal change to its design

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
well if you can fill 160Gb with music and videos, you are probably more worried about being caught for piracy than some minimal change to its design

I hear what you are saying... however, I am one who only has 28 Gb left after initial download as I choose to use .wav files to ensure highest quality playback. I have to maintain my purist methods to where I only purchase my music and will never download without providing some compensation to the artist (unless the artist themselves provides the music without requesting payment). Everyone loves music and the only way to make sure we continue the trend is to provide proper compensation when it is requested. I encourage you all to do the same. If anything, be sure to go see your favorite band live when they are performing near you, it can be a hard life so show your support to keep it flowing!

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
I hear what you are saying... however, I am one who only has 28 Gb left after initial download as I choose to use .wav files to ensure highest quality playback. I have to maintain my purist methods to where I only purchase my music and will never download without providing some compensation to the artist (unless the artist themselves provides the music without requesting payment). Everyone loves music and the only way to make sure we continue the trend is to provide proper compensation when it is requested. I encourage you all to do the same. If anything, be sure to go see your favorite band live when they are performing near you, it can be a hard life so show your support to keep it flowing!
Try the Apple Lossless format, it should save you disk space with no loss in sound quality... But I'm sure you knew that, right?

DIABLOW

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Sorry noob question. I just bought myself an ipod classic 160GB. can i update to ios4 software?

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
I say get one. If they do update it, I can't imagine it being anything other than maybe a bigger screen and more space. More space shouldn't be an issue anyway, I don't know many people that could fill up even half the space on theirs.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
I would certainly not get one now. You know there's a 99% chance they will update in September and that could mean more space (always a good thing for future-proofing especially/resale value even if you're not going to use it) and possibly a price drop.

Do you have an iPod you're using right now that you want to upgrade?

Stinkysteve

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I have the 120 GB Classic and it's just about full.

Apple Lossless sounds great through my real stereo and through my Koss Pro 4 AA headphones.

I would say get it now and start enjoying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.