PDA

View Full Version : Even I didn't know that Windows had gotten this bad

MacBytes
Oct 27, 2004, 03:45 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Even I didn\'t know that Windows had gotten this bad (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041027164525)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Oct 27, 2004, 03:46 PM
I can totally and whole-heartedly relate to this, which is why it got a green light, and most Mac-vs.-PC arguments go away at macbytes.

stoid
Oct 27, 2004, 03:50 PM
He was getting overwhelmed by pop-ups on dial-up internet, imagine how much worse it would be if he was using a broadband connection to download pop-ups at hi-speed! :eek: :rolleyes:

macnulty
Oct 27, 2004, 04:40 PM
It will never cease to amaze me what windows users will put up with and accept as normal in their computing experience. The sad part is that it probably doesn't have to be that bad or inconvenient to do such simple tasks. My experiences with XP are few, but my first thought usually involves cursing at the UI just to get out of my way.

1macker1
Oct 27, 2004, 04:47 PM
He's going wayyy over the top. I use XP daily, and dont have the problem this guy has. The UI is never a problem. It's not OS X, but it's not bad at all.

Timelessblur
Oct 27, 2004, 05:09 PM
good greif I can tell you right now that the computer was poorly maintain. A desently maintain to just sometimes Windows computer does not get that kind of crap it takes several months of piss poor useage to degreed that far. How do I know this simple I am the only one who maintains the family computer at home. So this computer goes for 3-4 months at a time with out any maintaince work really done on it. Running IE the eniter time. At the end a minor problem like that had cropped up but it was noughting that 5 mins of work on it could not fix heck I showed my mom some one who knows jack about computers the minor things she could do keep it cleaned up. It was easy. Just every now and then double click on adware and hit scan. Boom 4 months later the only work I end up really doing was extermly minor stuff that was mostly just me checking to make sure noughting had slipped pass and then just updating a few programs for them.

I think this artical is a very poor artical and think it is a bad example to use as a argument. Majority of people use google popup blocker. THe IE popup blocker grabs the stuff off those sites listed and blocks them. Something in the IE settings where messed up because even with the google popup blocker off I could not see that stuff just running the IE pop upblocker. Either way IE blows and firefox is much better. I really ever use IE at all minus a few sites that need them and when I want to test some stuff out.

mj_1903
Oct 27, 2004, 05:32 PM
good greif I can tell you right now that the computer was poorly maintain. A desently maintain to just sometimes Windows computer does not get that kind of crap it takes several months of piss poor useage to degreed that far. How do I know this simple I am the only one who maintains the family computer at home. So this computer goes for 3-4 months at a time with out any maintaince work really done on it. Running IE the eniter time. At the end a minor problem like that had cropped up but it was noughting that 5 mins of work on it could not fix heck I showed my mom some one who knows jack about computers the minor things she could do keep it cleaned up. It was easy. Just every now and then double click on adware and hit scan. Boom 4 months later the only work I end up really doing was extermly minor stuff that was mostly just me checking to make sure noughting had slipped pass and then just updating a few programs for them.

I think this artical is a very poor artical and think it is a bad example to use as a argument. Majority of people use google popup blocker. THe IE popup blocker grabs the stuff off those sites listed and blocks them. Something in the IE settings where messed up because even with the google popup blocker off I could not see that stuff just running the IE pop upblocker. Either way IE blows and firefox is much better. I really ever use IE at all minus a few sites that need them and when I want to test some stuff out.

I think you missed the point, if I could pick it up through all your typos. The author's friend and I probably give the same amount of attention to our computers as each other. My computer still runs fine, his computer does not. He should not have to maintain a device that costs thousands of dollars like that if another one that is basically identical does not need to be maintained. The only difference is of course, I use a Mac and he uses a Windows PC.

Sharewaredemon
Oct 27, 2004, 06:07 PM
The other problem comes from downloading things off the internet, (kazaa etc)

Also, if someone is computer illiterate, and has no one around who is, how are they going to know what to do with these problems. It's just like when my friends say, "I have a virus, how do you get rid of it?" Obviously they have whatever virus programe and they try to use it. But beyond that, I tell them I don't know because I have never dealt with a virus.

zen
Oct 27, 2004, 06:16 PM
It will never cease to amaze me what windows users will put up with and accept as normal in their computing experience.

You hit the nail on the head there. A couple of weeks ago I spent an entire weekend setting up two Windows XP machines for my parents at their home. And I mean an ENTIRE weekend. Apart from all the tedious cable plugging etc, there were CDs of "critical updates" to install, not to mention SP2, etc, then all the anti-virus and spy software to install, configure, update, run and reconfigure. It was infuriating, overly-complex, and incredibly boring. When I got back home to my iBook my world went back to being serene, easy, and clean.

As this article also shows, for 95%+ of the world's computer users, THIS IS WHAT COMPUTING IS LIKE. It's insane, isn't it? And even when you strip away all the virus/spam/awkwardness of Windows, even the little things like the horrible blocky text and bizzare pop-up speech bubbles (how the hell do you turn those off?) were grinding at my patience.

In the past few weeks I've convinced 3 or 4 PC users to switch to the Mac. I'm firmly convinced that once you change, you never go back (I've always been a Mac user).

Most of the world are really missing out, and have such a different view of computers and the internet to us. I really believe that.

Zen

rjfiske
Oct 27, 2004, 06:43 PM
This happened to me on my windows work machine (even though we're behind all kinds of firewalls, etc.) It was actually very easy to fix.

1.) Ran AdAware and removed 60+ pieces of what it found.
2.) Started Internet Explorer, and received 3 or 4 pop-ups.
3.) Re-ran AdAware, removing 20+ pieces of new stuff.
4.) Restarted Internet Explorer, and received 3 or 4 pop-ups.
5.) Shut down Windows, re-ran AdAware, removing 15+ pieces of new stuff.
6.) Restarted Internet Explorer and received 3 or 4 pop-ups.
7.) Ran HijackThis and posted the results on a discussion board.
8.) Waited 3 hours for a reply.
9.) Received a reply, opened the registry, removed the items in question from the registry, restarted Windows.
10.) Restarted Internet Explorer and received 3 or 4 pop-ups.
11.) Downloaded Firefox. Problem solved.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 27, 2004, 06:59 PM
I can't even imagine using dial up, let alone wasting the small amount of bandwidth on popup ads.....

I think that as long as PC users realize that there is an alternative to IE and that you don't have to sift through popups when browsing, things might get a little better.

Until then its just a bit scary

D

Mr. Anderson
Oct 27, 2004, 07:08 PM
I can't even imagine using dial up, let alone wasting the small amount of bandwidth on popup ads.....

I think that as long as PC users realize that there is an alternative to IE and that you don't have to sift through popups when browsing, things might get a little better.

Until then its just a bit scary

D

solvs
Oct 31, 2004, 02:58 AM
Majority of people use google popup blocker. THe IE popup blocker grabs the stuff off those sites listed and blocks them. Something in the IE settings where messed up because even with the google popup blocker off I could not see that stuff just running the IE pop upblocker. Either way IE blows and firefox is much better. I really ever use IE at all minus a few sites that need them and when I want to test some stuff out.
I can tell you that a large majority of people using Windows don't use FireFox of Goolgle's toolbar. Or IE's pop-up blocker if they are using previous versions of Windows, which a lot of people are. As said above, the point isn't that people don't take care of their machines, it's that they shouldn't have to.

And the fact that you have to use IE on some sites just tells you that it's worse than it should be.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 31, 2004, 04:55 AM
You want to know what really riles me up when it comes to Windows - even more than the spyware, adware, malware, and viruses (which I know how to get rid of)? It's those dang error messages - they just get in your way and seem like they shouldn't be there at all. For example, when I try to copy some files from one folder deep in the folder hierarchy to a different folder on a remote machine (such as my iMac), Windows tells me this:

Error: Cannot copy (filename): The path is too deep.

The path is too deep? Mac OS X doesn't have this problem, ever.

kronos2611
Nov 1, 2004, 12:42 PM
I was certainly amazed the last time I had to use a windows PC at home (and on dial up...). Now, ok the machine wasn't a great spec (only 1Ghz and 512Mb memory...) but performance on even dial up seemed to me really really slow. Sure enough plug my iBook into the same telephone point and web browsing felt almost twice as quick. Now the PC had all the security updates, Norton pretty much everything so no pop up ads appearing or virus problems - but checking norton logs showed several hundred blocked ads - horrific.

Firefox would probably have fixed the problem I guess, but then the download of a 4Mb file was going to take an eternity...

iMeowbot
Nov 1, 2004, 01:04 PM
It's a nice little supplemental income, cleaning up PCs that have been disabled by malwareitis. It's kind of disheartening to know that even after cleaning up the mess and installing spiffy prophylatic software, and sending the owner off with a lecture on sensible practices, that some of those people will be calling again too soon.

A very soft sell -- only mentioning Apple if the customer asks how we avoid those problems -- definitely gets the gears turning. I'm not necessarily sure I want them to switch, or I might have to do something more productive with the time I now spend waiting for Windows to install. ;)

iMeowbot
Nov 1, 2004, 01:08 PM
Now the PC had all the security updates, Norton pretty much everything so no pop up ads appearing or virus problems - but checking norton logs showed several hundred blocked ads - horrific.
Yes, that's something that isn't mentioned very often, that virus scanners and their ilk put a rather hefty load on the system, and it only gets worse as the virus databases grow.