Boot ROM Version: 4.7.4f1
Serial Number: UV342BN8KUS

Please refer the version such as

leopard 10.5.2

like that
:)

mrchinchilla
Jun 26, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm not sure how well Leopard would run on an iBook G4; Tiger (10.4), however, will run brilliantly and I recommend you use it.

If Leopard can in deed run on your iBook, I would imagine it's terribly sluggish and has jittery animation, but if you want the latest software and don't mind a bit of slowness – go for it.

I'd still recommend Tiger.

After Googling this it would appear your 800MHz iBook isn't even supported by Leopard, however, it has been done by hacking the installer in the past. see: http://lowendmac.com/mail/mb07/1102.html#6

MacHamster68
Jun 26, 2010, 05:28 AM
for the iBook g4 800mhz i think best is still Tiger 10.4.11
ok it can be hacked to run leopard quiet easy , but i doubt it would be great experience

Chundles
Jun 26, 2010, 05:41 AM
You'd need to do a bit of work to make it run Leopard but it really wouldn't run too well.

Tiger (10.4.11) is the last version officially supported on that machine.

Hrududu
Jun 26, 2010, 08:36 AM
Leopard will run pretty well on it. You would benefit from upgrading the your 512MB stick up RAM to a 1GB stick. I've got Leopard running on G4's slower than that one, and its not that bad at all.

max••
Jun 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
it will run 10.4 unmodified, or 10.5 with a modified osinstall.mpkg (i made a modified one for someone here a little ago)

tipman2000
Jul 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
you can hack it to run leopard, as the minimum cpu requirement is 867 mhz, but tiger would be a much better bet as tiger is already slow on that machine for me (i have the exact same one) im not even trying to put leopard on mine because it would be so slow its not worth it.

drewdle
Jul 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
I can offer a first hand opinion on very similar hardware.

I was able to use LeopardAssist to get my iMac to run in Leopard, and while it managed, it wasn't what I'd call snappy. Generally, it just felt like the machine was struggling a lot more than it should be under fairly low-key use. I was convinced Leopard was the way to go because of Safari 5 and the ability to use Time Machine.

Then I tried Tiger on the same hardware, and it made a huge difference. In daily use this machine gives up fairly little to my wife's MacBook, with the exception of course being anything internet-video related. My tips for you if you run Tiger would be to use Mobile YouTube (which runs the YouTube videos in a QuickTime player), and to download a copy of SilverKeeper from LaCie, which is a free-to-use backup program that serves the equivalent function to Time Machine.

In the end, it's up to you. Both systems are usable, but I don't think you'll have much fun in Leopard, especially given your RAM. I ran Leopard for two weeks on 512Mb of memory, and compared to what I'm running now, it was pretty paltry.