Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
I want to invest in buying books for one of these readers but I'd rather pick one and stick with it rather than use both. What's the verdict on these? For you folks that read on your iPhone a lot which has features you can't live without?

Also can you read books from your iBooks on your Mac like you can with the kindle for Mac app?

I've seen so many comparisons between the kindle and iPad but I'm looking for comparisons between the iPhone apps.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
iBooks is a slightly fancier design in the sense that the pages look more like a book when turning. The formatting in iBooks usually means less text on a page compared to the kindle when using the same text size.

I used kindle a lot but I prefer the iBooks application now. It looks more refined and the prices are the same or better on the books I purchased.

Both are very similar though so try a few samples from each and decide which you like best.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
Kindle for now until iBooks has a better range of books and the ability to search for books easier.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kindle

I just bought a Kindle. I have a convertible tablet and reading on it just hurts my eyes after an hour or two. I figure that holding something only 10oz vs the 1.5lbs of my tablet will be much better over the long term as well. I have seen the e-ink screens in person and look forward to dragging my kindle to the beach (ahh, beautiful San Diego) to read under the sun while checking out the...scenery;).

On a pricing note, if you see this in time, you can score a Kindle for $150 on Woot.com. It's only for one day, and they are probably flying off of the shelves at that price, so I would hurry on it.

Disclaimer: I have an iPhone that fills my app needs very well, and as such, was really only looking for a reader. If you want to enjoy video, widgets and such, in addition to a reader, I'd look at the iPad.

seer

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
iBooks does have 'slighty' nicer animations ... but really that is important for the 3 seconds it takes you to say "oooooo purdy." After that, you will probably never notice them again.

The most important thing is the library. I have spent several hours trying to find a book I actually want to read on iBooks and still not succeeded. The choice is terrible. Compared to kindle's enormous library it's no contest - kindle wins hands down.

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
I mostly use Kindle to purchase the books, but then I strip the DRM and convert them to be used in iBooks. I like the format of iBooks a lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.