Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Hey folks,
So here's the situation. Me and my roommate have share a 2 bedroom townhouse with only 2 phone jacks in the entire place(one on each floor). I'm planning on buying a Mac soon and I'd like to set up a bit of an office in my room but once again this brings me back to the no damned phone jack in my room.

So my question is about wireless routers, is it simply an issue of pugging in the router to the DSL modem and that's that? Or is their more to it?
Because I idealy what I'd like to do is get a wireless routher with a hub of some kinda on it so I can both run wireless access to my bedroom(same floor as roommates room) and allow her to plug her g3 into the same router so we can share the broadband connection. Am I completly out to lunch on this or is this doable??

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Completely doable, and extremely simple in most cases.

1. Buy wireless router with wired hub (one piece of equipment), such as the Linksys WRT54G or something from Netgear, D-Link, etc.

2. Attach to router through wired connection on your Mac

3. Change administrator user ID and password

4. Attach router to DSL modem

5. Configure router to connect via PPP0E to get IP address and distribute internal IPs via DHCP (router documentation will outline this - it's simple).

6. Configure wireless network settings.

7. Browse the internet and retrieve e-mail.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
alrighty cool! Sounds easy enough.
Just two more quick questions.
1)Is the wireless connection as fast as the wired connection?
2)Would any possible issues arrise from having one mac running OS 9 and another running OS X on the same router?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
dornoforpyros said:
2)Would any possible issues arrise from having one mac running OS 9 and another running OS X on the same router?

1) Yes, it is, because the wireless connection is much faster (11-56Mbit) than the wired broadband connection (depends on the connection: 0.5-3 or more Mbit).
2) It shouldn't, as long as Mac OS 9 provides the apps to have wireless internet, which I'm not sure about.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
dornoforpyros said:

Hi, following the very informative post to answer your questions:
1. There is a slight *SLIGHT* dip in responsiveness when you use WEP or WPA encryption. You won't notice it for file downloads, but if your a heavy browser you might notice it at first. Best to just use Safari wisely, open links in tab in background etc. It's a non-issue but you might pick it up at first because you'll need to link to the router with a cable to set up the wireless point.

2. Can't think of any issues, the Access Point (AP) should handle the attached devices. Make sure to turn off the Airport setting under Network Preferences in OS X that says "Allow this computer to create networks" to avoid any issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.