Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Whenever I post, I always get a timeout error in Safari. Then, when I try to repost I immediately get a message that says I have already posted here and it shows me. But it is really annoying because I can post, and then wait 60 seconds, and then see what actually went on.

Also, my Smilies keep rearranging themselves... as in, they don't stay in one pattern. I'll add the pictures when I try and post again to show my Smilies, erm, hyperactivity.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
i keep getting variations on messages that say something like:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the Mac Forums database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

----and usually oncei hit refresh the post is there. it seems odd, but it happened once last night as well. so the past 3 or 4 posts!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
The worst thing is that all new posts are instantly marked as read, so I cannot use my subscriptions nor see which posts are new... looking manually for new posts is insane.... :eek:
I'll be back when it is fixed.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
King Cobra said:
[1] When I post in any thread (say, this one, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/95229/ ), I get a database error, but the post goes through.

[2] New threads here are reported to have a last post of yesterday in my browser, but there are new posts/threads in the forums anyways.

Oh...Mudbug! :D

hey! put that finger down!

honestly, I had nothing to do with this... and arn popped on last night and did a few things. I'd tell you more, but I'm just as in the dark as you guys.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yes, I keep getting these problems. I've also noticed that my post count is no longer rising!!! I've been on 1495 posts for about the last 15 posts now... :eek: :D

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
johnnyjibbs said:
Yes, I keep getting these problems. I've also noticed that my post count is no longer rising!!! I've been on 1495 posts for about the last 15 posts now... :eek: :D

Yea me too, none of the, ummm, 800+ new posts aren't showing up :D

Kimo

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My posting is also wacky... guess it is for everyone, they just aren't reporting it. It says there is a problem posting and to hit the refresh. When I do, it says it is a duplicate post.

Must be a Halloween glitch.
I have faith in you guys to get this fixed.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
wPod said:
i keep getting variations on messages that say something like:

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

----and usually oncei hit refresh the post is there. it seems odd, but it happened once last night as well. so the past 3 or 4 posts!
I am getting this message with every single post. Hitting refresh produces a vBulletin error message saying I've already posted this message in the last five minutes and redirecting me back to the thread, where my post does appear. Posts don't seem to be duplicated though.

When I post this, I'll copy the initial error message, then see if I can edit and paste it in....

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Okay, editing just produces the first error message but doesn't change the post when the Refresh button is clicked, even though the "will have to resend information" prompt does come up.

So, the message:

The words "technical staff" are an email link in the real message, that I didn't reproduce here. They must be getting a TON of email.... :eek:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I know this is all just a conspiracy to keep me from ever hitting 500 posts and getting my 'tar (...sitting at 491 [+ 6 today that don't show up] and NOT counting...) :rolleyes:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yeah, nothing is updating, although the posts are being recorded in the actual threads. I've got some email notifications set up and they haven't been spamming my inbox today.. :p

And it seems just about impossible to edit a post..

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This is all because the Red Sox won the World Series that everything is going wrong. The apocalypse has begun. :rolleyes:

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I got a page about 2 hours ago saying the forums were down for maintance. All day I have had the same problems as reported in this thread.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
everything should be back to normal for the moment...

arn

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I can post ok... and always have been able to... but have never been able to start a new thread?

I get this:
DJY, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Is this normal?
Do I have to reach a certain number of posts before I'm allowed to start a new thread? Or does my loging have problems? Or did I say something in a post somewhere bad?

Cheers
DJY

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
DJY said:
I can post ok... and always have been able to... but have never been able to start a new thread?

Hmmmm... I show where you started a thread back in May, but only once. Not sure what happened after that.

Don't know why you are locked out. You should be able to start a thread.

I would PM one of the mods and ask them directly.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
MacDawg said:
I would PM one of the mods and ask them directly.

Mods are great! I learned something new today!

Only mods/admins can start threads in the news forum. I think it was either the News or a page 2 thread I was attempting to create!

Just had a bit of a play - and it seems to allow me to create threads in other discussions though - such as Mac Buyers Guide, Mac Discussion, Interests, Community etc... but not the News and Articles Discussions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.