PDA

View Full Version : Posting Problems

Mechcozmo
Oct 27, 2004, 10:13 PM
Whenever I post, I always get a timeout error in Safari. Then, when I try to repost I immediately get a message that says I have already posted here and it shows me. But it is really annoying because I can post, and then wait 60 seconds, and then see what actually went on.

Also, my Smilies keep rearranging themselves... as in, they don't stay in one pattern. I'll add the pictures when I try and post again to show my Smilies, erm, hyperactivity.

King Cobra
Oct 28, 2004, 07:15 AM
[1] When I post in any thread (say, this one, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=95229 ), I get a database error, but the post goes through.

[2] New threads here (http://forums.macrumors.com/index.php?) are reported to have a last post of yesterday in my browser, but there are new posts/threads in the forums anyways.

Oh...Mudbug! :D

Diatribe
Oct 28, 2004, 07:38 AM
I couldn't access the site at all for the last 6 hours and even now it's kinda weird.

WHO BROKE IT? Step up, come on, come on... :D

wPod
Oct 28, 2004, 08:23 AM
i keep getting variations on messages that say something like:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the Mac Forums database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

----and usually oncei hit refresh the post is there. it seems odd, but it happened once last night as well. so the past 3 or 4 posts!

kbonnel
Oct 28, 2004, 08:32 AM
Yea, there is something bad going on :(

macrumors is like coffee, I have gone most of the day without it, and I can't think straight....

Kimo

Diatribe
Oct 28, 2004, 08:37 AM
The worst thing is that all new posts are instantly marked as read, so I cannot use my subscriptions nor see which posts are new... looking manually for new posts is insane.... :eek:
I'll be back when it is fixed.

Mudbug
Oct 28, 2004, 08:53 AM
[1] When I post in any thread (say, this one, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=95229 ), I get a database error, but the post goes through.

[2] New threads here (http://forums.macrumors.com/index.php?) are reported to have a last post of yesterday in my browser, but there are new posts/threads in the forums anyways.

Oh...Mudbug! :D

hey! put that finger down!

honestly, I had nothing to do with this... and arn popped on last night and did a few things. I'd tell you more, but I'm just as in the dark as you guys.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 28, 2004, 09:32 AM
Yes, I keep getting these problems. I've also noticed that my post count is no longer rising!!! I've been on 1495 posts for about the last 15 posts now... :eek: :D

kbonnel
Oct 28, 2004, 09:44 AM
Yes, I keep getting these problems. I've also noticed that my post count is no longer rising!!! I've been on 1495 posts for about the last 15 posts now... :eek: :D

Yea me too, none of the, ummm, 800+ new posts aren't showing up :D

Kimo

SilentPanda
Oct 28, 2004, 11:12 AM
It also appears that the post counts of various topics that get posted to the main MacRumors page are not updating as frequently (if at all) as normal.

MacDawg
Oct 28, 2004, 12:13 PM
My posting is also wacky... guess it is for everyone, they just aren't reporting it. It says there is a problem posting and to hit the refresh. When I do, it says it is a duplicate post.

Must be a Halloween glitch.
I have faith in you guys to get this fixed.

rueyeet
Oct 28, 2004, 12:44 PM
i keep getting variations on messages that say something like:

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

----and usually oncei hit refresh the post is there. it seems odd, but it happened once last night as well. so the past 3 or 4 posts!I am getting this message with every single post. Hitting refresh produces a vBulletin error message saying I've already posted this message in the last five minutes and redirecting me back to the thread, where my post does appear. Posts don't seem to be duplicated though.

When I post this, I'll copy the initial error message, then see if I can edit and paste it in....

rueyeet
Oct 28, 2004, 12:48 PM
Okay, editing just produces the first error message but doesn't change the post when the Refresh button is clicked, even though the "will have to resend information" prompt does come up.

So, the message:

The words "technical staff" are an email link in the real message, that I didn't reproduce here. They must be getting a TON of email.... :eek:

zelmo
Oct 28, 2004, 01:14 PM
I know this is all just a conspiracy to keep me from ever hitting 500 posts and getting my 'tar (...sitting at 491 [+ 6 today that don't show up] and NOT counting...) :rolleyes:

johnnyjibbs
Oct 28, 2004, 02:02 PM
Yeah, nothing is updating, although the posts are being recorded in the actual threads. I've got some email notifications set up and they haven't been spamming my inbox today.. :p

And it seems just about impossible to edit a post..

MacDawg
Oct 28, 2004, 05:10 PM
OK, so the site was down for repairs... is it fixed now? Hope so... I've missed it!

Posting was OK... how about editing?

MacNut
Oct 28, 2004, 05:16 PM
This is all because the Red Sox won the World Series that everything is going wrong. The apocalypse has begun. :rolleyes:

TDM21
Oct 28, 2004, 07:13 PM
I got a page about 2 hours ago saying the forums were down for maintance. All day I have had the same problems as reported in this thread.

Mechcozmo
Oct 28, 2004, 07:29 PM
Do I get credit for starting this thread? At least +1 post to me! :D :)

arn
Oct 28, 2004, 07:34 PM
everything should be back to normal for the moment...

arn

DJY
Oct 30, 2004, 09:11 PM
I can post ok... and always have been able to... but have never been able to start a new thread?

I get this:
DJY, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Is this normal?
Do I have to reach a certain number of posts before I'm allowed to start a new thread? Or does my loging have problems? Or did I say something in a post somewhere bad?

Cheers
DJY

MacDawg
Oct 30, 2004, 09:25 PM
I can post ok... and always have been able to... but have never been able to start a new thread?

Hmmmm... I show where you started a thread back in May, but only once. Not sure what happened after that.

Don't know why you are locked out. You should be able to start a thread.

I would PM one of the mods and ask them directly.

DJY
Oct 31, 2004, 01:45 PM
I would PM one of the mods and ask them directly.

Mods are great! I learned something new today!

Only mods/admins can start threads in the news forum. I think it was either the News or a page 2 thread I was attempting to create!

Just had a bit of a play - and it seems to allow me to create threads in other discussions though - such as Mac Buyers Guide, Mac Discussion, Interests, Community etc... but not the News and Articles Discussions.