PDA

View Full Version : Just got an iPad and need help deciding on a case

ColReb22
Jun 26, 2010, 06:09 PM
I just got a 32 GB Wifi iPad and was planning on getting an Invisible Shield for it and letting that be the end of it, but I got the I.S. for my iPhone 4 today and really don't like how thick and sticky it makes the screen feel. Now I am back to square one, I've looked at several cases I saw in the threads here but I can't make up my mind.

I got a neoprene sleeve and a netbook bag that will fit in my back pack for traveling, but I want something that will provide some protection for everyday use (I am kind of OCD and hate scratches). I looked at some portfolio type cases, which would be good for class and it looks like it would be easy enough to take the iPad out of them so I can use the dock I ordered. I looked at the Apple case online and wasn't all that impressed, but if it's as awesome as some of y'all have said in other threads I guess I could give it a try.

I have also looked at the rubber/plastic types and getting a screen protector of some kind but I am not sure about them.

On my iPhone 3G and the HTC Hero I had before that I used the OtterBox Commuter series cases and loved them, but it seems too bulky for the iPad. I don't want to add a lot of bulk, especially with a case that isn't easy to take off.

I know there are a million threads about cases on here but I've only had my iPad for two days so I thought I'd ask for input from people who have actually used theirs and know what works and what doesn't. The closest stores to me that sell iPad accessories are in Memphis (a little over an hour away) so I'll be buying online and won't really be able to play with the cases before I buy.

As of now these are the two I've seen that I like ok:
Incipio Kickstand
http://static.zoovy.com/img/incipiodirect/W400-H400-Bffffff/I/ipad_133_copy.jpg
M-Edge Trip Jacket
http://cdn.medgestore.com/images/products/PAD1_TR1/PAD1_TR1_C_NB--front-med.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Hammie
Jun 26, 2010, 08:06 PM
I cannot comment on the Kickstand, but my wife has the M-Edge.

The M-Edge is okay for what it is. Even with the elastic band, it has a tendency for the cover to shift and expose some of the screen. Additionally, I like a folio that has a kickstand capability to type on.

With that being said, I'm not sure how well the Kickstand would do for typing. I did not research it much, but from the picture you attached it doesn't look too versatile.

hope that helps some.

ColReb22
Jun 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
I cannot comment on the Kickstand, but my wife has the M-Edge.

The M-Edge is okay for what it is. Even with the elastic band, it has a tendency for the cover to shift and expose some of the screen. Additionally, I like a folio that has a kickstand capability to type on.

With that being said, I'm not sure how well the Kickstand would do for typing. I did not research it much, but from the picture you attached it doesn't look too versatile.

hope that helps some.

Thanks, that helps a lot because the m-edge was my favorite so far but I want a case that is sturdy and fully protects the screen

Hammie
Jun 26, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot because the m-edge was my favorite so far but I want a case that is sturdy and fully protects the screen

It is very sturdy and will hold up very well over time. Maybe it is the way she puts it in her bag, but the cover seems to be able to shift easily. And when I said the front is slightly exposed, I should have clarified that it is some of the corner. It sort of twists. If I can get it out of her hands, I will try to take a pic to show you what I mean.

With that said, I would recommend it.

ColReb22
Jun 26, 2010, 09:49 PM
It is very sturdy and will hold up very well over time. Maybe it is the way she puts it in her bag, but the cover seems to be able to shift easily. And when I said the front is slightly exposed, I should have clarified that it is some of the corner. It sort of twists. If I can get it out of her hands, I will try to take a pic to show you what I mean.

With that said, I would recommend it.

Oh ok, cool. It seems like it's still fairly slim and it looks like I could easily take the iPad out at night to dock and charge it. That is probably what I will end up getting then. Thanks for the input, I don't like buying stuff without either seeing it or reading reviews.

Hammie
Jun 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
Oh ok, cool. It seems like it's still fairly slim and it looks like I could easily take the iPad out at night to dock and charge it. That is probably what I will end up getting then. Thanks for the input, I don't like buying stuff without either seeing it or reading reviews.

I use the Apple case on mine and feel that the M-Edge offers much more protection for the front and back than the Apple one. The only thing I wish the M-Edge offered was a kickstand style one. If they did, I would get it in a heartbeat.

My wife also had the Leather Executive version for her Kindle and it was equally as good, just a leather version versus the cloth version.

richpjr
Jun 27, 2010, 01:34 AM
I have looked and played with and researched just about all of the cases mentioned here on the forums, and keep sticking with the Apple case. About the only thing I'm not real crazy about on it are the edges. I love the low profile, the stands and while it does show a little dust, it's nothing I can't brush off once or twice a week in 5-10 seconds.

iTouch.lover22
Jun 27, 2010, 02:42 AM

If you plan to dock every night, I suggest you go with the speck candyshell. It's got a little popup section on the bottom so it doesn't have to be removed when docking. To me, this was a negative because I don't use a dock and having to remove it every time i charge would be a hassle, but for you it would be a great advantage. Pair that up with a power support screen protector and I think you'll ge pretty happy :)

ColReb22
Jun 27, 2010, 03:22 AM
If you plan to dock every night, I suggest you go with the speck candyshell. It's got a little popup section on the bottom so it doesn't have to be removed when docking. To me, this was a negative because I don't use a dock and having to remove it every time i charge would be a hassle, but for you it would be a great advantage. Pair that up with a power support screen protector and I think you'll ge pretty happy :)

Nice, do the power support screen protectors feel better (smoother/not sticky) than invisible shields? touching the I.S. on my ip4 is about to drive me crazy, if I hadn't paid $30 for it today it would be off already.

iTouch.lover22
Jun 27, 2010, 03:30 AM
Nice, do the power support screen protectors feel better (smoother/not sticky) than invisible shields? touching the I.S. on my ip4 is about to drive me crazy, if I hadn't paid $30 for it today it would be off already.

I haven't tried it personally, but it's definitely better than an invisible shield. I've tried the invisible shield on an iPhone, and it felt too thick and sticky. You can check out ilounge for a good look into different screen protectors. As long as you go with a good quality anti-glare screen protector, it will feel smooth and repel fingerprints better. Hope that helps!

ColReb22
Jun 27, 2010, 04:22 AM
I haven't tried it personally, but it's definitely better than an invisible shield. I've tried the invisible shield on an iPhone, and it felt too thick and sticky. You can check out ilounge for a good look into different screen protectors. As long as you go with a good quality anti-glare screen protector, it will feel smooth and repel fingerprints better. Hope that helps!

Definitely, thanks. I'm never waisting money on an invisible shield again.

peapody
Jun 27, 2010, 06:27 AM

I agree with this. Unfortunately, the antiglare PS screen protector is the best an I say unfortunately because you have to order from their site, and their CS is pretty bad. They forgot to ship my macbook pro protector, and took them a few days to ship my ipad one. IS does not feel good at all (although on my mbp it is just fine compared to what it used to be).

iTouch.lover22
Jun 27, 2010, 06:51 AM
I agree with this. Unfortunately, the antiglare PS screen protector is the best an I say unfortunately because you have to order from their site, and their CS is pretty bad. They forgot to ship my macbook pro protector, and took them a few days to ship my ipad one. IS does not feel good at all (although on my mbp it is just fine compared to what it used to be).

You can purchase them on eBay for about the same price, and as long as you select quality sellers, eBay is really reiable for things you can't find in physical stores. The Macally Metrolpad isn't available in my country, and apparently there's some dodgy stuff going on on their website regarding credit cards, so I purchased mine off eBay and I received it no problems. Just find yourself a quality seller and theres no problem :)

sracer
Jun 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
I have 2 recommendations:
If you prefer to have a screen protector (I don't) then get the SwitchEasy Nude case that covers/protects the back and offers a little more grip for holding the iPad.

If you prefer not to have a screen protector, then a folio-style case is a good idea. There are no perfect folio cases. Find a folio case that suits your style. I have the Apple case and the Macally Bookstand (grey), and prefer the Macally case. It looks nice and allows the virtually the entire front of the iPad to be exposed when the case is open.

peapody
Jun 27, 2010, 09:58 AM
You can purchase them on eBay for about the same price, and as long as you select quality sellers, eBay is really reiable for things you can't find in physical stores. The Macally Metrolpad isn't available in my country, and apparently there's some dodgy stuff going on on their website regarding credit cards, so I purchased mine off eBay and I received it no problems. Just find yourself a quality seller and theres no problem :)

Actually it depends. Trust me I have looked on ebay many a time for the screen protector...but you have to wait for the bid to end, and a lot of times the final price goes above what you pay from the website. Haha I am not a newb. It was important to me to just get the screen protector as efficiently and quickly as possible.

I have 2 recommendations:
If you prefer to have a screen protector (I don't) then get the SwitchEasy Nude case that covers/protects the back and offers a little more grip for holding the iPad.

If you prefer not to have a screen protector, then a folio-style case is a good idea. There are no perfect folio cases. Find a folio case that suits your style. I have the Apple case and the Macally Bookstand (grey), and prefer the Macally case. It looks nice and allows the virtually the entire front of the iPad to be exposed when the case is open.

+1

This I did. I got a nice vinyl design for the back and a switch easy nude in clear. Nice set up.

OGDaniel
Jun 27, 2010, 02:37 PM
Dude get an Apple case. It has a logo on the front, and it makes you look cooler.

magiclaffs
Jun 27, 2010, 06:56 PM
I bought the Apple case and am very happy with it. I looked at dozens of cases and still feel the AC was the right choice for me.

I also looked at dozens of messenger bags and carrying cases. Settled on the City Fossil- Jackson over at Amazon. Smooth as butter leather, 3 different color choices, good price and lots of pockets.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516LUM1pBHL._SS500_.jpg

ubercool
Jun 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
Great thread! I need another case for my second iPad. I have the Apple case too and I know it's hard to beat. The company did a lot of thinking on this one. I like that it's anti-slip too, so you can brace your iPad against your pant leg (or your girlfriend's skirt :D).

I was hoping someone had done a great case, but it's hard to compete with Apple this time around. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how well the Kickstand would do for typing. I did not research it much, but from the picture you attached it doesn't look too versatile.

The Incipio Kickstand looks like it's optimized for reading recipes while in the kitchen or watching movies on your airplane seat tray. :)

I also looked at dozens of messenger bags and carrying cases. Settled on the City Fossil- Jackson over at Amazon. Smooth as butter leather, 3 different color choices, good price and lots of pockets.

The Fossil looks cool, especially in black. It's called the Fossil Citybag Jackson BTW. :cool:

iTouch.lover22
Jun 28, 2010, 02:01 AM
Actually it depends. Trust me I have looked on ebay many a time for the screen protector...but you have to wait for the bid to end, and a lot of times the final price goes above what you pay from the website. Haha I am not a newb. It was important to me to just get the screen protector as efficiently and quickly as possible.

This is just one of the many I found, $31AUD including postage from a seller with 100% positive feedback: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Power-Support-Ipad-Anti-Glare-Clear-Screen-Protector-/160448523401?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Computers_Apple_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255b7a2c89#ht_3520wt_920

DoFoT9
Jun 28, 2010, 02:13 AM
you WILL NOT be able to type with the Kickstand at that angle, so if you're only gonna use it for a stand then great! otherwise not great :(

peapody
Jun 28, 2010, 08:52 AM
I found one of these at borders and measured my ipad to it. Perfect fit. Was thinking about removing the journal pages to attach the backing of my macally bookstand to it...but I don't think that would fit me as a person.

peapody
Jun 28, 2010, 09:49 AM

I found this Executive Leather Case (http://www.ipad-accessories-stores.com/product_details.php?category_id=0&item_id=76) and I would say that it provide the most protective way for my iPad !

haha that is the yoobao case - but the first gen. There is a whole thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=914451) dedicated to it.

I am looking to get these ones when it comes out from yoobao.

New Yoobao case (http://yoobao.en.alibaba.com/product/300307970-210030402/Yoobao_Executive_Black_Leather_Case_Folio_Book_For_Apple_iPad.html)

ColReb22
Jun 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys, I'm going home this weekend so I guess I'll stop by the apple store and see if they have any apple cases or at least a display to see what it's like. My main issue with the apple case is the big apple on the front, the iPad draws enough attention to itself on it's own and I would rather not add to that. I had forgotten about the macally Bookstand, I really like that case. And I still like the m-edge trip and executive. I don't really think I can go wrong with any cases mentioned here so I guess it will come down to what I get the best deal on.

flatline82
Jun 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
I've done 3 video reviews on a couple iPad cases if you wanna check them out...

Macally Bookstand (Black) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfOGTn8Wy-A)
Official Apple Case (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg9UDEqwsik)
Waterfield Ultimate Sleeve Case (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afah3Of-bvA)

palmerized
Jun 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
Here's another vote for the Apple case... slim, protects ok, and has the built-in stand.

And, the faint Apple logo is a nice touch.

Only complaint is it gets dirty real quick.

sandydlc
Jun 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=936872

Lots of options to see here...

ColReb22
Jul 1, 2010, 07:27 PM
I ended up getting an apple case yesterday and like it, I might get a leather case later but i'm not sure. My only complaint is that you would think apple would make their iPad case with their iPad dock, but I have been taking the case off to dock so it's not that big of a deal

REnergy
Jul 2, 2010, 09:01 AM
I've got my iPad for 2 months and it's still naked!!

Quite hard to find the folio case that perfectly fits to my daily use.

kaibob
Jul 2, 2010, 09:29 AM
I researched folio-style iPad cases for some time and viewed every forum thread and youtube video I could find. Unfortunately, I never located exactly what I wanted.

I finally decided on and purchased a Marware EcoVue because it was immediately available from Marware; the cost was $45 shipped; the case appears of good quality construction and seems to adequately protect the iPad; and most people who have this case appear to be happy with it.

My only real complaint is the hand strap, which is of no use for me. I would also prefer that the iPad insert from the side rather than the top.

ColReb22
Jul 14, 2010, 03:10 AM
I still like the apple case fine but am thinking about the otterbox commuter series because I dock my iPad and having to constantly remove the case is really annoying. My only hesitation is that I like the stand feature of the apple case and am not sure I would like not having it

eddy64
Jul 14, 2010, 07:26 AM
I've had an iPhone since the year it came out, and I've always used iSkin cases, and I have always been 100% happy with these cases. Very durable, great protection, and good quality, although they are pricey. Based on this, I decided to order an iSkin Vu yesterday. I didnt want a case that would cover the front (i find it annoying), but a case that would offer great protection against daily bumps and dings. The iSkin Revo2 for my iPhone offers such GREAT protection, that I had to go with an iSkin product. It seems solid. I'll post a review when I recieve it.
PS I also ordered a Power Support anti glare screen protector. I feel that this combination will off the best protection for school. I plan to keep my iPad in my backpack