PDA

View Full Version : Gateway to tap out photo, MP3 player beat

MacBytes
Oct 28, 2004, 10:33 AM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Gateway to tap out photo, MP3 player beat (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041028113303)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Photorun
Oct 28, 2004, 11:55 AM
Wow, that's original of them. (cough cough)

micvog
Oct 28, 2004, 01:10 PM
To give Gateway some credit (what can it hurt? They won't be around much longer), they had to have this in development for a while and they did beat Apple in one respect - you can directly connect the player to a camera and transfer photos. For professional photographers, I imagine this would be a very compelling feature.

CrackedButter
Oct 28, 2004, 06:01 PM
To add to that postive post, it to me doesn't look *that* bad, they have put some thought into it, it seems. If the iPod could connect to the camera just like it can then I would buy it as well.

Then again I could buy this but it won't play the songs I have bought off iTunes will it? The Apple magnet at work.

TomSmithMacEd
Oct 28, 2004, 07:07 PM
Yeah, the iPod photo needs to be able to connect directly to a digital camera, then it would be killer. This doesn't really compete too much with iPod photo, it is two different things, this is only 4gb. It basically is more of a tiny portable hard drive then a mp3 player.

macridah
Oct 28, 2004, 07:27 PM
connecting directly to a camera would be way cool. Did apple think of that and pass or were they out innovated. Maybe next release?

Abstract
Oct 28, 2004, 08:03 PM
^^Out-innovated.

They probably thought of it, but maybe they didn't have time to work it all out before the X-mas shopping season, so they didn't bother. But "thinking about it isn't the same as "doing it", so yes, Gateway DID actually provide a product with some thought and innovation.

jchen
Oct 28, 2004, 08:21 PM
...and are getting larger all the time. 4 gigs isn't much space for a "pro" digital photographer these days. I bought a couple of 1 gig SanDisks that give 239 RAW images on my Canon. That's not even pro. It's easier for a pro to carry around a couple of extra 1 gig, 2 gig, or 4 gig SanDisks (CF) than an iPod or look-a-like.

Still, a nice feature for iPod Photo would be to include a way to move digital photos seamlessly to the iPod. 40 to 60 gigs will hold bunches of music and photos. Even pros would be happy.

Has anyone else noticed that most of the competition are introducing iPod killers at about the same price point (give or take) as the low end iPod and mini? That seems to indicate that Apple's spot on with pricing.

Generally speaking, for a competitor to muscle in to a leader's market, a few things are requirements:

- better distribution (Dell is mail order, right)?
- lower price points (prices are all about the same, except iPod Photo)
- more features/benefits (not much competes with iTunes, iTMS, too)
- more marketing muscle (who's doing this better than Apple?)

Apple, FWIW, seems to have distribution nailed, is very competitive even at the so-called low end of hard drive portable players, is loaded with more than enough features/benefits that the average user is happy, and seems to have plenty of marketing clout.

That should say something about their market share: 70% for legal downloaded music, 90% for hard disk portables.

Eventually, the market place looks for and moves toward a standard (water flows downhill...) that causes the least grief.

I'd suggest that Apple's doing well on all those points, eh?

nagromme
Oct 29, 2004, 09:31 AM
It's great if pros can find a use for the iPod's space--maybe with a Belkin reader. Great if people give business presentations to TV off it too.

But it's NOT a pro device, and pros are not the market Apple will ever target iPod features toward.

AmigoMac
Oct 29, 2004, 04:29 PM
I can see, belkin and/or Griffin coming with such a device, smaller than the current media reader...

Sharewaredemon
Oct 29, 2004, 05:03 PM
One of the things about the ipod photo is that when it imports your photos from iTunes, it compresses them to smaller sizes as they don't need o be 5 megs to show on a 2 inch screen, and tv screens don't have hi res screens so they don't need larger high quality files either. So in terms of this product, it will either not import the pictures at full quality, or there will be lag in veiwing pictures. (the photo iPod has no lag when scrolling from picture to picture. I think that it WOULD be a very good idea to be able to import pictures onto the harddrive section of the iPod, and even with a little firmwear magic, ALSO put a compressed version on the music/photo side of the iPod so that you can preview the pictures right away.

nfocus design
Oct 29, 2004, 05:08 PM
It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other if I am able to plug my camera into the iPod. I haven't tried it with my current camera, but with previous cameras I've had, it transfered pictures way too slow. I have an Addonics FireWire card reader and it is great. For my uses I could have my PB close by or just wait until I got home to load my pictures.

panthman
Oct 30, 2004, 12:56 AM
I think that it WOULD be a very good idea to be able to import pictures onto the harddrive section of the iPod, and even with a little firmwear magic, ALSO put a compressed version on the music/photo side of the iPod so that you can preview the pictures right away.

Sorry to be a little OT from the Gateway story, but..... it actually CAN do that... There is a tab in the new iPod preference pane of iTunes for Photos and one of the boxes is to transfer full size photos to the HD of the iPod!

This new iPod is awesome!!

AmigoMac
Oct 30, 2004, 02:16 AM
Sorry to be a little OT from the Gateway story, but..... it actually CAN do that... There is a tab in the new iPod preference pane of iTunes for Photos and one of the boxes is to transfer full size photos to the HD of the iPod!

We all mean Camera-iPod directly ;) ...

redAPPLE
Oct 30, 2004, 03:14 AM

if i understand this correctly, the computer can transfer full size photos (from iPhoto or other supported software) to the iPod. and then degrade the quality, so it can be viewed on the iPod screen... then if one wants to show the pics on tv, then the iPod needs to up the quality again, right?

so this would hurt the battery life, me thinks...

re: gateway. in my experience, if a digital camera is connected to a pc, a folder "dcim" will be mounted. but not transferred automatically to a folder. it would be interesting to know, how gateway did this. but what if a folder called "pix" would be mounted (is "dcim" standard naming?), do the pix get mounted automatically still?

i think, yes, Apple should give the option to connect a digital camera directly to the iPod. i think Apple should give iPod users the possibility to delete photos (and songs) if more space is needed. and then sync the whole thing with iSync...

Sharewaredemon
Oct 30, 2004, 09:05 AM

Yes I knew the iPod could do that, but what I meant was give it the capability to do that on the fly. As in connect your digital camera to the iPod directly, and have it dl the pictures to the harddrive section, and the photo section.

tpatricks
Oct 30, 2004, 02:25 PM
Just got notice from Apple. The 60 gig iPod Photo is on the way. From Shanghai, China via FedEx.

Stopped by the local Apple Store last night and they had both models of iPod Photos, too (not out on display, though-- had to ask).

The photo addition is really nothing more than a long evolutionary step for the iPod. Three years ago the market was just barely ready for the iPod/iTunes combo. It's probably just barely ready for the Photo component. It was easier for many people to put CDs into iTunes. Then the next step was to move them to iPod. Now we're all working on healthy digital photo collections, so...

Makes sense. Some of the more esoteric and pro features will probably come in future revs.

The fact that the Gateway model or the Rio Carbon have more features won't matter too much. Has anyone ever talked with a Dell DJ owner?

Sharewaredemon
Oct 30, 2004, 04:28 PM
The fact that the Gateway model or the Rio Carbon have more features won't matter too much. Has anyone ever talked with a Dell DJ owner?

A WHAT owner??

:p

solvs
Oct 31, 2004, 02:40 AM
Has anyone ever talked with a Dell DJ owner?
I'm sure they exist...

...probably. There was a thread here awhile ago where a guy's daughter wanted a DJ because all of her friends hated Macs. Something about iPods being too trendy and they wanted to be different. Yet they used Windows. Yeah, go figure. Her b/f's Dad was a Dell lover too. She wanted one over an iPod because she didn't want to be made fun of.

She would soon be in college, so we thought he should remind her what everyone uses there and why. Talk about being made fun of. Can you imagine your first day of school and everyone is using iPods... and you actually turned down an iPod so you could use the DJ?

I can imagine that doesn't happen very often, and there is a reason for that. Only some of which is the coolness factor.